Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running my coil hot off of my light circuit. (Read 65 times)
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Running my coil hot off of my light circuit.
08/05/14 at 22:57:12

Is there any issues with pulling my hot for my coil off
Of the light circuit on my switch. I purchased a spring loaded ignition switch from lowbrow customs and from the way it seems... That's the only way it will work... My kill switch will basically be turning the key off... What do you think?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Running my coil hot off of my light circuit.
Reply #1 - 08/06/14 at 03:53:21

It wasn't until the 70's or 80's that motorcycles started to have kill switches on the handlebars.  My 1972 Kawasaki 125 Enduro didn't have one, My 1976 Suzuki RE-5 Rotary didn't have one....and I never felt too unsafe.

I never use the kill switch to shut my engine off, I always use the key.

I suppose if I am upside down in a ditch with the bike on top of me, I might decide to use the kill switch once. Shocked

Dave  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Colxjon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/06/14 at 07:56:00

Dave wrote on 08/06/14 at 03:53:21:
It wasn't until the 70's or 80's that motorcycles started to have kill switches on the handlebars.  My 1972 Kawasaki 125 Enduro didn't have one, My 1976 Suzuki RE-5 Rotary didn't have one....and I never felt too unsafe.

I never use the kill switch to shut my engine off, I always use the key.

I suppose if I am upside down in a ditch with the bike on top of me, I might decide to use the kill switch once. Shocked

Dave  

Yeah I think I'll be alright. Thanks Dave.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 08/06/14 at 09:10:34

I'm with Dave. I had my Savage for 2 years and never flipped the kill switch. It got accidentally flipped one time and I had a terrible time figuring out why the bike was dead. I have never hit the kill switch on my current bike of two years either.  There is something satisfying about reaching down under your leg and turning a key.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 08/06/14 at 18:02:25

You guys must park in neutral considering you'd have to be a contortionist to shut off the key and hold the clutch lever in.  I always park in gear so the bike won't roll when I'm away from it.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 08/06/14 at 19:24:44

Kris01 wrote on 08/06/14 at 18:02:25:
You guys must park in neutral considering you'd have to be a contortionist to shut off the key and hold the clutch lever in.  I always park in gear so the bike won't roll when I'm away from it.

Pull up to the house in gear, put down the kick stand (dies), let go of the clutch, shut the key off.... works for me...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/07/14 at 03:36:43

Kris01 wrote on 08/06/14 at 18:02:25:

Yep, I do park in neutral.   If the ground is not even and I can't bump a wheel up against a bumper block or curb - then I will put the bike in gear while it is parked. Not saying my way is any better.....just a 45 year old habit that would be hard to change.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:22:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running my coil hot off of my light circuit.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.