Send Topic Print
new to this... (Read 114 times)
italiano1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new to this...
08/04/14 at 19:42:09

Hey everyone. Im a new rider and i chose the2001 savage as my first ride. I love th bike. Rides great. I did some mods to fit me but nothing more than paint, bars, and removal of the sissy bar for aftermarket blinks. It only has 15xx miles on it. Basically what happened was everything was fine. No problems. Rode home from work then parked for the night. The next day i hoped on to take a cruise... turn the key and the only light that comes on is the neutral light. No power nothing. Checked fuses. Good. Jump starter to check if hot and its good.... now im lost. Mechanical im an ace... i build test and repair engines for a living. Elecrical... yikes lets just?say i get shocked often. Has anyone ever had this problem?? Could the ignition just be out?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: new to this...
Reply #1 - 08/04/14 at 20:07:58

Check your kill switch.  It'll do nothing but lights if it's in the off position.

Also, might want to check clutch and sidestand safeties.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
italiano1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/04/14 at 20:26:36

Lol its not the switch being off. When i turn the key the only light that comes on is the neutral light. Thats it. No power to any controls, or lights. Battery is new plenty of juice. Fuses good. No horn no blinks no nothing. Nothing works. It was fine then the nezt day squat.

IMG_20140509_194553.jpg
  IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #3 - 08/04/14 at 23:30:21

I'm digging the look without the sissy bar. I did mine the same way recently when I relocated my turn signals to behind the license plate. You might think about doing that, pretty easy to do if you pick up the lights from eBay and get something called a strong strap from home depot. It's in the wood working area.

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/05/14 at 03:31:55

I bought a brand new battery for my bike.  And it died in 2 weeks for no reason.  Started the bike one day - would not start it the next day.  You need to test the battery to be certain that it is good.

You also should check that the bolts on the battery are tight, and that the ground wire where it connects to the engine case is tight.  The ground wire attaches to the engine down by the right foot peg.

I just looked in the wiring diagrams and the wire that connects the neutral light to power....is also the one that provides power to everything else.  If the neutral light has power then the other things should as well.  Check the wiring harness connectors under the tank and see if they are tight.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
italiano1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/05/14 at 03:41:40

Believe me ive taken the simple steps already. Im no airhead. Seriously i test engines for a living lol i just cant figure out why all of the sudden there are absolutely no controls or lights on. Period.

IP Logged
italiano1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/05/14 at 03:44:36

Pulling the tank is the one thing i didnt do ill take that advice .thanks dave. I hopes its that simple. I haven't rode in a few days and getting itchy lol

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/05/14 at 03:49:33

Does the rear running light come on when you turn the key?  This is the one light wire that doesn't pass through the front harness connectors.

You might be able to move or push the connectors under the tanks without removing the tank - not sure how much room there is.  You will find them at the front of the tank near the steering head, one on each side.

Dave

IP Logged
italiano1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/05/14 at 04:40:47

No rear light either.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/05/14 at 04:49:50

I bet you have a ground problem.  The neutral light is the only thing that grounds itself through the neutral switch........All the other things ground through the black wires.

Dave

IP Logged
italiano1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/05/14 at 17:43:14

You were right, Dave. I found a short... on the negative battery cable of all places. Lol cleaned it up taped up what needed taping and she fired right up. Thanks a lot for the input. This is my first post and it was definitely useful.

« Last Edit: 08/06/14 at 05:47:16 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:31:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new to this...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.