Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preventing license plate trashing on a Ryca (Read 92 times)
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Preventing license plate trashing on a Ryca
08/04/14 at 16:50:59

Hey gang,
As you know I'm the expert on Rycas (HA!) and I was looking at the license plate clearances. I liked what GyroBob did (page 16 #238 of the double ryca build) but it gave me an idea. Instead of bending the license plate, could you cut the bracket straight across, right above the three holes. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/RYCA%...  and install a hinge. Now where the hinge for his storage compartment is http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/RYCA%... would hinge the license plate back and forth. I'd install a stopper behind the hinge so it wouldn't swing down BUT I would install a small bracket behind the plate down to a small nylon wheel just behind and below the plate. This would be so when the suspension would go up, it would hit the wheel but allow the plate to go up and pivot away from the tire. I would put a small retention spring so it would pull back on the stop and keep it from flopping. You guys see what I'm talking about?

Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Preventing license plate trashing on a Ryca
Reply #1 - 08/04/14 at 17:44:53

Interesting idea.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/04/14 at 17:55:07

... or just side mount the plate... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Reply #3 - 08/04/14 at 18:17:30

side mount

image_177.jpg

2000 S40 RYCA conversion built in 2011.
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #4 - 08/04/14 at 18:21:27

I liked how GyroBob did the extra lights around the plate (page 18) and how Dave put in the BRIGHT brake light. (page 12). I kind of liked the centered balanced look. (Not to mention I'd cut myself open on the plate getting off of it or putting it in the garage! Grin )
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/04/14 at 18:36:03

I chose to put the plate on the left side.....as it helped to hide the fact that the left shock mount sticks way out farther than the right side to make room for the belt drive.  I am a big fan of things being symmetrical....and those off center shocks looks goofy.  I also don't like that funky wide license plate hanging off the back of my streamlined seat tail.

I have never bumped the plate getting on/off, or while pushing it around.  I also didn't go for vertical mount of the plate, as I wanted to be able to ride in any state, county or city...without having to worry about getting pulled over by the Police for my license plate mount.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/05/14 at 10:29:31

I was following my girl. She was on the Savage. I saw the fender shake from left to right so hard I had to look again to see if it was just my imagination.. IIRC she was accelerating hard in 2nd..It was so vicious of a shaking the plate was a blur..Thats where the cracks come from,, Funny I never felt it when I was riding it.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:25:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Preventing license plate trashing on a Ryca

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.