Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Won't start in cooler weather. (Read 157 times)
stonetree
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Won't start in cooler weather.
08/04/14 at 09:40:02

I purchased a 2003 Savage at the beginning of summer. I recently started riding it to work occasionally. On cool mornings, around 60 degrees or cooler, the bike does not want to start. (Yes, I use the choke.) It tries to turn over but doesn't quite make it. I only hold the start button in for maybe 3-4 seconds a try so the starter doesn't overheat. I get maybe 2-3 tries to start it before the battery doesn't have enough juice to even try to turn it over.

I've been testing the battery to see if it's good. And, I've had it on a battery tender when it's going to be a cool night. After being on the battery tender, it checks in at around 13.10 volts. If I leave it off the battery tender, the charge only drops to around 12.9 volts after 3-4 days. Since the battery seems to keep a charge, I would think the battery is okay.

After riding it, the battery shows around 13.4 volts, so I know it's charging.

There's no problem starting it in warmer weather (above 70) without using the choke.

Could it still be the battery?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Won't start in cooler weather.
Reply #1 - 08/04/14 at 09:42:47

what's the voltage while starting?

could be you don't need to choke it?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/04/14 at 09:45:19

If you can,.. try jumping it from a car battery, on one of these cool mornings... (do not have the car engine running, it's alternator output can damage your bike's electrics)...

If it starts well with a jump,.. you need a new battery...

Cooler weather, means thicker oil... makes it harder for the starter to turn the engine over... that's when a weak battery shows it's stripes...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stonetree
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/04/14 at 10:15:17

verslagen1 wrote on 08/04/14 at 09:42:47:

I'll have to check the voltage when while starting. Haven't done that.

So, having the choke out could prevent it from starting? How is that?

IP Logged
stonetree
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/04/14 at 10:16:34

Serowbot wrote on 08/04/14 at 09:45:19:
If you can,.. try jumping it from a car battery, on one of these cool mornings... (do not have the car engine running, it's alternator output can damage your bike's electrics)...

If it starts well with a jump,.. you need a new battery...

Cooler weather, means thicker oil... makes it harder for the starter to turn the engine over... that's when a weak battery shows it's stripes...

I put Rotella T6 in it. I thought synthetic made it easier to start in cold weather.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/04/14 at 10:19:55

stonetree wrote on 08/04/14 at 10:15:17:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/04/14 at 09:42:47:

I'll have to check the voltage when while starting. Haven't done that.

So, having the choke out could prevent it from starting? How is that?

60° isn't cold. (imagine that... a Californian said it)

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/04/14 at 10:41:04

Synth oil helps, but it won't fix a weak battery...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/04/14 at 11:15:56

stonetree wrote on 08/04/14 at 09:40:02:
It tries to turn over but doesn't quite make it. I only hold the start button in for maybe 3-4 seconds a try so the starter doesn't overheat. I get maybe 2-3 tries to start it before the battery doesn't have enough juice to even try to turn it over.

Using the terms "turn over".....can be confusing for us, and it appears it can be confusing to you as well.

If you tell me the engine "won't turn over" - I believe you are telling me the starter won't rotate the crankshaft.  If you tell the me the engine "won't start" or "won't fire" - then I believe the starter rotates the engine but the engine won't start or run.

I believe you are telling us the battery will turn the engine over, and that the engine won't start....but the starter will continue to turn the engine over for a few tries.

If you only get 2 or 3 tries for a 3-4 seconds each try.....that sounds like a pretty weak battery.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stonetree
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/04/14 at 11:22:06

Dave wrote on 08/04/14 at 11:15:56:
stonetree wrote on 08/04/14 at 09:40:02:
It tries to turn over but doesn't quite make it. I only hold the start button in for maybe 3-4 seconds a try so the starter doesn't overheat. I get maybe 2-3 tries to start it before the battery doesn't have enough juice to even try to turn it over.

Using the terms "turn over".....can be confusing for us, and it appears it can be confusing to you as well.

If you tell me the engine "won't turn over" - I believe you are telling me the starter won't rotate the crankshaft.  If you tell the me the engine "won't start" or "won't fire" - then I believe the starter rotates the engine but the engine won't start or run.

I believe you are telling us the battery will turn the engine over, and that the engine won't start....but the starter will continue to turn the engine over for a few tries.

If you only get 2 or 3 tries for a 3-4 seconds each try.....that sounds like a pretty weak battery.

Dave

Dave,

That is exactly what I meant. Sorry for any confusion.
So, even though it holds a charge, the battery may still be the problem?

What is the suggested brand/model of battery to get as a replacement? I haven't had much luck finding it through the forum search tool.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/04/14 at 11:49:42

I am not sure that it makes a lot of difference which battery you buy.  I prefer a AGM (glass matt) or gell battery - but they tend you give you very little notice they are going to fail....they work, and then suddenly they don't.  The Lead Acid batteries work....but they can leak and you have to keep up with checking the fluid.

A friend that works on motorcycles a lot prefers the batteries that are made in Japan over the Chinese ones - but you could spend a lot of time shopping around to find it.  My local Honda dealer sells the Bike Master brand that are made in China.  I got one and it lasted 3 weeks, it has a 1 year warranty so they gave me another and the next one worked fine.  

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #10 - 08/04/14 at 12:01:10

Just keep in mind the terminal location, which polarity on which side and the orientation of the vent tube to the terminals.

IP Logged
stonetree
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/04/14 at 12:30:23

Can AGM be used with a battery tender?

If I ask for a battery for a 2003 LS650, shouldn't the correct polarity be a given? Or, do I still have to specify?

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #12 - 08/04/14 at 15:16:30

stonetree wrote on 08/04/14 at 11:22:06:
So, even though it holds a charge, the battery may still be the problem?

The voltage of a battery is not an indication of the capacity of the battery.  The only way to check the condition of a battery is to check its ability to deliver the amperage needed, which can only be done under LOAD conditions as already suggested.  A battery can lose its ability to provide sufficient amperage for starting, yet still reach a full charge of 12 or 13 volts.  Under load, a weak battery's voltage will drop due to its inability to supply sufficient current that is being demanded by the circuit.  A drop of a volt or two is fairly typical in a high demand starting circuit.  If it drops down to 9 volts or lower, I'd be looking for another battery.  I'm not as familiar with the S40 demands as others here are, so they may give you a different and more accurate rule of thumb for minimal voltage during a starting load test.

Bob
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #13 - 08/04/14 at 16:20:37

stonetree wrote on 08/04/14 at 12:30:23:

If I ask for a battery for a 2003 LS650, shouldn't the correct polarity be a given? Or, do I still have to specify?

This depends on who you shop from.  Some places will look at the necessary specs of the battery and simply find one that matches closely. Just because it has the right CCA doesn't mean the terminals are in the right place.

AGM batteries can be charged normally.  Li-ion batteries are also a great alternative.  EarthX seems to be the recommended brand as they have the necessary charge monitoring circuitry built in.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #14 - 08/04/14 at 19:39:33

stonetree wrote on 08/04/14 at 12:30:23:

I asked at my regular parts store and delivered it. The vent tube exit of to the wrong side.  Be aware if you pick one up to same a trip back or worse case you add the acid, charge it, and then find out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:30:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't start in cooler weather.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.