Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: cam chain
Reply #15 - 08/03/14 at 10:01:18

If we weren't talking about this,... we'd be talking about which oil, or tires to use...
... and you know how that goes...  Huh...

...(it's Shell Rotella, and Shinko 712's by the way)...  Lips Sealed...
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 08/03/14 at 14:43:08

We discuss "oil wars" here because the sarcastic banter level fits the rools for this section a lot more than in RSD.

This particular post is a simple "how to" question that has been answered plenty well enough (complete with thread references) -- so toss the whole durn thing back over the wall to RSD where it belongs.

"How to get enough guts to turn a wrench for the first time" should be the thread title if this thread remains over here in Cafe --- and you'd get some discussion on that topic lead to be sure.

======================

All of us were where RL153 is right now when we were young --- I can remember starting my own maintenance on a Honda S90 at age 16 when I learned not to let a dealership work on the bike when they screwed up my carburetor trying to "lap in the slide" using valve lapping compound.

Then in college I spent two long summers working for Honda of Raleigh, so I know all about Mikey by having worked next stall down from him.

(I was the slightly older higher skilled "college dude" who put the bikes together properly out of the packing crate -- every mistake I ever made could be counted on one hand and I heard all about every one of them from the older full time mechanic dudes doing the warranty work sheets).    

Mikey screwed up more single cylinder kiddie bikes in one week than I ever did in the whole two summers I was there.    Mikey wasn't real bright, but he had grease under his finger nails so he was a "natural mechanic" to the folks who ran the Service Dept.   (he was also related to the owner, a grand nephew or something like that)

Mikey was about 16-17 years old and he rode a ratty old dirt bike to work.    His bike was ALWAYS busted and he always had parts on order for fixing something on it -- always.

Mikey would take apart anything and he could be counted on ordering a whole BUNCH of new parts for it (Honda stealership training at its best)   .....   but putting it back together right when the parts finally came in was something else for him though.    

Mikey spent time studying the new bikes I put together to figure where all the cables & stuff went -- I kid you not.    He'd ask me questions about "order of assembly" when he got bumfuzzled by something the least bit order tricky because he had no memory.

Angry      You are not as bad as Mikey was, trust me .....

You start out by starting -- it is the only way to start.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #17 - 08/04/14 at 07:38:25

rl153 wrote on 08/03/14 at 06:41:54:
Thanks for all the input guys,I was just planning for the future . i saved your post Bot. My bike has 6500 mi on it (2005)and I'm not going to put a cam chain in it , I was just wondering if it was a big job, which i guess it is. I think I'm still safe for a year or two. I try to plan ahead, I didn't mean to create a stir.At some point I'll buy a verslavy.

My bike is also a 2005, which just turned 11,000 mi this last week. I replaced my tensioner with a Verslavy a couple weeks ago and it was very simple, but I was very surprised at the fact that my tensioner was as far extended (19mm) as it was (most my rides are the short commute back and forth to work <3.5 mi)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #18 - 08/04/14 at 12:28:51

Short distances probably helped to "age" your tensioner.  Longer rides would probably extend its life.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 08/05/14 at 03:53:56

Kris01 wrote on 08/04/14 at 12:28:51:
Short distances probably helped to "age" your tensioner.  Longer rides would probably extend its life.

The experienced folk on this site believe that "heat cycles" are most responsible for the chain stretch.  The engine gets hot and pulls on the chain as the tall cylinder and head expand, and when it cools the tensioner tries to go another tooth on the ratchet.....and after several heat cycles it can get to another tooth and tighten the chain.  It doesn't make a big difference how many miles are on that trip once the bike is warmed up.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:35:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › cam chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.