Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When the tensioner finally goes (Read 119 times)
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

When the tensioner finally goes
08/01/14 at 17:34:57

Yet another stupid question I’m afraid. I’ve been reading up on the cam chain tensioner issue in the forum, and I’ll probably be looking at replacing mine next spring.  In the meantime, I’m bothered by one persisting thought.  If the tensioner should fall out while I’m scooting down the highway, will this “hand grenade in the engine” event that I’ve read about lock the rear wheel? If so, I can only assume that the bike and I will go down and my sorry ass will be belt-sanded by the asphalt. As you can imagine, I'd really like to avoid this. Grateful for your thoughts as always.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: When the tensioner finally goes
Reply #1 - 08/01/14 at 18:49:26

I doubt it would lock the wheel at any speed beyond a brisk walk...
...(it is, however, the continuation of this forward momentum that will hand-grenade the engine)... (if it locked, your engine might survive)...
Comforting thought????... Undecided...
Grin Grin Grin....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/01/14 at 19:35:49

The flywheel, crankshaft and rotor have enough kinetic energy to break anything that happens to bind up if the cam chain tensioner lets go.

It is gonna break a lot of engine stuff and make a lot of noise for a brief period....but I imagine you can coast to a very silent stop.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/01/14 at 19:39:36

Dave,... that's the Big Bang Theory in a nutshell... Grin...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/01/14 at 19:44:48

There are multiple modes of failure so it's hard to tell.

But most likely you will hear a noise, fer goods sake!!! pull in the clutch! and let her quit.  Coast to the side of the road and check her out... not that you can put your eyeball anywhere and say 'cam chain' with any certainty.

1st, plunger will separate from the housing and start to grind.
2nd, the chain will get loose and rub on the case.
3rd, the plunger spring will slip out and start bouncing around (yep quite dangerously) if ye auld spring gets caught in any of the gears... a sudden stop ye will come to hopefully with knees securely gripping the tank least you learn how to fly and why gravity is cruel.

I believe it was JOG that said dam spring or spring bits as the case may be can lodge somewhere and prevent the clutch from operating.

So, if you've been trained by the FN stock petcock to put it prime and hope for a restart in a second or two... lemme dissuade you from further following the practice.

Have a nice ride   Huh   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 08/01/14 at 20:26:34

Have you pulled the clutch cover and checked it out? It may be worth a Saturday and 20.00 for a gasket to see if you are in the danger zone.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/01/14 at 20:58:39

Get the Versy,get a gasket,drain the oil,pop the side off. Measure the tensioner,install the Versy on whichever hole makes sense. Ship old tensioner to Verslagen. Ride. Right now you're worried about it. I would be,too.I can't ride and be happy and worry. I'd Hafta Do something about that worrying thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Thurston
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/02/14 at 04:30:04

Thanks everyone!  Good information for sure.  My S40 is pretty new (2013), but I just turned 10,000 miles on it.  I'm probably okay for a while yet, but based on what I'm hearing I'll go ahead and order the new tensioner now so I have it when the time comes.

Thanks again

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #8 - 08/02/14 at 07:02:21

It still amazes me that Suzuki doesn't see this as a problem.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 08/02/14 at 07:41:59

I don't think Suzuki is particularly interested in making their cheapest cruiser last forever...
They'd prefer that you be faced with a very pricey repair, and decide to upgrade to a brand new larger Suzuki...
You obviously need one,... seeing that you wore this one out... Undecided...

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 08/02/14 at 08:48:24

I have a 13 too, had 10 on the clock as well. Here was what mine looked like......
I didn't measure it, as I was replacing it anyway as it made a whole bunch of sense to, cheap insurance, peace of mind, for its my daily ferry rider to get off the island to and fro work.
I could however see it was cocked, not true anymore, and that didn't seem a good thing....

Here is what it looked like after a new one imstalled:

I also noticed I still have my old one I need to returm, oh my, so sorry Versy  Kiss  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #11 - 08/02/14 at 13:56:21

Thurston wrote on 08/02/14 at 04:30:04:
Thanks everyone!  Good information for sure.  My S40 is pretty new (2013), but I just turned 10,000 miles on it.  I'm probably okay for a while yet, but based on what I'm hearing I'll go ahead and order the new tensioner now so I have it when the time comes.

Thanks again

10K is about the time you need to check it out. I had 9K on my first one and it was just about to fall out.  The question is "do you feel lucky"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A732Cuuo2tI Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:24:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › When the tensioner finally goes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.