Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Fuel Tank Dent Repair
Reply #15 - 08/01/14 at 13:05:08

I would not use compressed air, freezing full of water, or my old standby, a small explosion, to pop a dent out of a flanged metric fuel tank. Harley Davidson or Indian welded heavy gauge steel, older European welded aluminum, older European welded steel, sure, no problem. A flanged tank is usually spot welded and then soldered, and the seam itself is a weak spot.

The factory tank is pretty thin in the larger radius curves, when my stepson crashed my 98 model a piece of gravel punctured the tank.

As far as the cobalt paint, get in touch with Color-Rite, order some Kawasaki Mean Streak paint, have it sprayed. As often as I change the color scheme on my toys, I use Rustoleum out of basic spray cans. But, and this is a big but, stuff I plan to leave as built for awhile gets real catalyzed enamel of some kind, usually tractor paints.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #16 - 08/01/14 at 17:28:03

I bought a tank with the intention of having it chromed. When the platers stripped it there was some repaired dents in it. They sent it to a guy who restores tanks for classic rebuilds and for $100 it was repaired suitable for chroming (in other words- perfectly).
Take a trip to a local high end chrome plating shop and see what can be done.
If you are going to paint it anyway, probably bondo is the way to go. It's not hard to learn how to do it.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #17 - 08/01/14 at 18:47:36

Just out of curiosity, what did it cost you to chrome the tank?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 08/01/14 at 19:08:59

We pulled about 95% of a couple of dents, last year,.. using a dent puller gadget, that uses a sort of suspended bridge mechanism and a hot glue suckerplate...
It don't scratch paint, and releases easily after a few minutes... We did it a half dozen times on each dent, while shifting the position a little each time... (won't be perfect on a creased dent, but would make it need much less bondo)...
...about $10 at various auto places or internet...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #19 - 08/01/14 at 20:35:51

Kris01 wrote on 08/01/14 at 18:47:36:
Just out of curiosity, what did it cost you to chrome the tank?

It just so happens that one of the best chrome platers( they get restoration and custom work from all over North America) is here in London Ont. They are called Plating Master, and they are expensive. That said, it cost $500, and the job is perfect.
http://p1.bikepics.com/2013/10/03/bikepics-2602885-800.jpg

« Last Edit: 08/03/14 at 13:14:31 by arteacher »  

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #20 - 08/02/14 at 11:27:43

Ouch!  I was thinking it wasn't going to be cheap!  I guess if you get what you pay for then perfection is worth every penny of $500.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 08/03/14 at 06:47:38

Kris01 wrote on 08/02/14 at 11:27:43:
Ouch!  I was thinking it wasn't going to be cheap!  I guess if you get what you pay for then perfection is worth every penny of $500.

A professional paint job with dent removal most likely would cost close to that amount.  Paint supplies and labor doesn't come cheap anymore.  I bet I spent close to $ 300 for the primer, base coat, clear coat, sand paper, tape and buffing materials I used to paint my bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Karen A
YaBB Newbies

What do you mean
"park it for
the winter"?

Roanoke, VA
Reply #22 - 08/03/14 at 16:28:02

Quote:
A professional paint job with dent removal most likely would cost close to that amount.  Paint supplies and labor doesn't come cheap anymore.  I bet I spent close to $ 300 for the primer, base coat, clear coat, sand paper, tape and buffing materials I used to paint my bike.

yeah I was figuring 300-500 or so...  

saw a 67 mustang go by today that was the exact color I want. LOL  then again I wouldn't mind having the mustang either. Wink

Karen - KI4GOT
k.i.forgot (it's a ham thing)
Riding since '07 - Rebel 450 prior to my S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:33:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Tank Dent Repair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!