Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Fuel Tank Dent Repair
08/01/14 at 04:09:34

I have moved this thread out of the Marketplace for Karen, as this discussion really belongs in the RSD.

Karen:  Post your color scheme back here....I have lost that photo in the process of moving things around.

Karen A wrote on 07/30/14 at 19:44:43:
I just picked up a silver 06 S40 that has a large ding in the gas tank and the front fender is not very straight either. I'm guessing it's a common thing as I've seen a bunch of similarly dinged tanks while looking around (ebay mostly).

Color doesn't matter as I plan to have it all painted once I get everything together (tank, hard bags, etc).  

If you don't have one, any suggestions where to find decent replacements (new or used) for reasonable prices?

Thanks a bunch!

edited to add: forgot, I need a stock muffler that hasn't been drilled...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: WTB '06 S-40 Fuel tank and front fender
Reply #1 - 07/30/14 at 20:04:12

If you are going to paint the tank, why not just Bondo the dent in the existing tank?

IP Logged
Karen A
YaBB Newbies

What do you mean
"park it for
the winter"?

Roanoke, VA
Reply #2 - 07/30/14 at 20:23:23

That is an option, but I've never worked with Bondo before and unsure of my 'artistic merit'. LOL

Karen - KI4GOT
k.i.forgot (it's a ham thing)
Riding since '07 - Rebel 450 prior to my S40
WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 07/30/14 at 20:28:53

Karen A wrote on 07/30/14 at 20:23:23:
That is an option, but I've never worked with Bondo before and unsure of my 'artistic merit'. LOL

It's not all that hard. The nice thing about Bondo is you can always sand it smooth if you get it too rough. Put it on, sand it off. For the finish use the filler finish stuff in the toothpaste tube then sand it out. Prime. If you don't like it, put more filler-finish stuff on it, sand and prime until you do.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: WTB '06 S40 Fuel tank, front fender, stock exh
Reply #4 - 07/30/14 at 21:37:14

Many people are happy with HD Dyna mufflers.  However if you are convinced that you want a stock muffler, You can have mine for shipping + 10.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Karen A
YaBB Newbies

What do you mean
"park it for
the winter"?

Roanoke, VA
Reply #5 - 07/31/14 at 06:46:47

re: the front fender, I can't PM until I've hit 10 posts. LOL  go to the website I've linked (in my profile) and you can email me from there and i'll get back with you.  

thanks.

Karen - KI4GOT
WWW   IP Logged
markallan00
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/31/14 at 10:38:45

Before you pay for a tank, try this... can't hurt to try.   http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1172934976

IP Logged
Karen A
YaBB Newbies

What do you mean
"park it for
the winter"?

Roanoke, VA
Reply #7 - 07/31/14 at 18:12:40

markallan00 wrote on 07/31/14 at 10:38:45:
Before you pay for a tank, try this... can't hurt to try.   http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1172934976

we thought of that, but this dent is considerable. about 4" across and probably 1" deep at the worst...  so it's going to take some serious work to fix... and yes, tank is creased where the metal folded a bit, probably slightly stretched in parts too.

Karen - KI4GOT
WWW   IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #8 - 08/01/14 at 04:03:07

there are a few other methods that work too.  One is to put compressed air to the tank, be careful not to put to much and pop the dent out.

The second method and a very effective one is to sand the paint down to bare metal. Clean ALL of the fuel out of the tank followed by a kerosene rinse.  The clean the tank a couple more times with a hot soapy water bath ( by cleaning. this is inside the tank)  Now you get a bowl of cold water and a rag, and a propane torch. Put heat to the dented section of the tank in small areas starting at the shallowest part of the tank. You heat it briefly, then quickly cool it with that wet rag. Continue to do this until the dent comes out.  If you are nervous with flame near your tank after cleaning, put some dry ice in it and put the cap on or even tape over the hole and put a small vent hole in the tape.

Another method that duplicates the above but without flame is to go to your local body shop that has an electric dent puller.  They have "shrinking tips" that fit these guns.  You can also buy one of these guns at Harbor Freight.  Personally I hate their tools.  Once again if you take it to a body shop, make sure the tank is prepped as the above.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Fuel Tank Dent Repair
Reply #9 - 08/01/14 at 04:17:19

When I was a kid, my dad and I used to have to repair my dented gas tanks on my dirt bikes quite often. We will fire up the air compressor and get the air nozzle ready to go, seal up the top of the tank with a couple of rags, give it a burst air, and most all of them, except the ones with sharp creases, came out without a problem.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/01/14 at 04:25:31

Yep, our bike is considered a "learner" bike and as such, they get a lot of drops while folks are figuring out how to ride.  In the process the bikes pick up some scrapes, dents and broken turn signals.

Using compressed air and torches might just be a bit beyond what she can do - seeing as BONDO is a new concept for her.  I might even believe that Karen doesn't own a set of torches, and that unlike some of us, she hasn't spent endless hours breathing gasoline and paint fumes.

I would suggest that she continue to look for a "second" tank, and fenders to work on.  That way she does not have to stop riding while her tank and fenders are being painted and/or she experiments with her body shop skills.  She can use the bike with the side panels removed - and finding extra side panels can be a bit tough.

Ultimately to get the paint color scheme she wants, she most likely is going to need a professional to spray the paint for her, and fixing a tank dent will most likely be a part of the process.

Karen:  Tell us a bit about your abilities....and how you expect that the paint update will happen.  Do you expect it will be something you can do yourself - or do you have some professional help in your plan?

MUFFLER - I am not a fan of loud bikes either, and the DYNA muffler turned out to be a very nice sound on the Savage.  They are louder than the stock muffler - but are not obnoxious.  They are cheap and easy to come by, and the local Craigslist, eBay or the Marketplace on this forum you should be able to get  a pristine one for $ 40, and a less then perfect one for much less.  I suggest you buy the RYCA angle adapter - it makes the process of fitting the muffler much easier with less fiddling.

Dave  

« Last Edit: 08/01/14 at 05:40:04 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Karen A
YaBB Newbies

What do you mean
"park it for
the winter"?

Roanoke, VA
Reply #11 - 08/01/14 at 07:23:09

Dave wrote on 08/01/14 at 04:25:31:
Yep, our bike is considered a "learner" bike and as such, they get a lot of drops while folks are figuring out how to ride.  In the process the bikes pick up some scrapes, dents and broken turn signals.

Using compressed air and torches might just be a bit beyond what she can do - seeing as BONDO is a new concept for her.  I might even believe that Karen doesn't own a set of torches, and that unlike some of us, she hasn't spent endless hours breathing gasoline and paint fumes.

I would suggest that she continue to look for a "second" tank, and fenders to work on.  That way she does not have to stop riding while her tank and fenders are being painted and/or she experiments with her body shop skills.  She can use the bike with the side panels removed - and finding extra side panels can be a bit tough.

Ultimately to get the paint color scheme she wants, she most likely is going to need a professional to spray the paint for her, and fixing a tank dent will most likely be a part of the process.

Karen:  Tell us a bit about your abilities....and how you expect that the paint update will happen.  Do you expect it will be something you can do yourself - or do you have some professional help in your plan?

MUFFLER - I am not a fan of loud bikes either, and the DYNA muffler turned out to be a very nice sound on the Savage.  They are louder than the stock muffler - but are not obnoxious.  They are cheap and easy to come by, and the local Craigslist, eBay or the Marketplace on this forum you should be able to get  a pristine one for $ 40, and a less then perfect one for much less.  I suggest you buy the RYCA angle adapter - it makes the process of fitting the muffler much easier with less fiddling.

Dave  

oh I've got access to all that. Hubby does automotive repair, but NOT body work, so I haven't ever had any exposure to that kind of thing.  we've got welders, torches, air, etc. but his professional opinion was that the dent would not be fixable by those methods...  once I get it on the road (brakes are a MUST, tires are next in line) I can go by some body shops and get their opinions maybe.  

forgot to add, I plan to take the parts to someone to have that done. Hubby does have a paint sprayer but he uses it for minor touch ups, not full part jobs.  and I'm comfortable turning my own wrenches when needed, but I usually take it to the shop where he works so that I have access to his tool box.  Grin

here's the color scheme I want...  it's still a nice enough bike to be worth painting. (The prior Rebel 450 died a slow death of rust from prior neglect)

2006-Suzuki-Boulevard-S40-blue_001.jpg

Karen - KI4GOT
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/01/14 at 07:34:48

Greg wrote on 08/01/14 at 04:17:19:
When I was a kid, my dad and I used to have to repair my dented gas tanks on my dirt bikes quite often. We will fire up the air compressor and get the air nozzle ready to go, seal up the top of the tank with a couple of rags, give it a burst air, and most all of them, except the ones with sharp creases, came out without a problem.

Be very careful with this technique, we pressure test steel ducting all the time and when they go it's like a bomb going off with shrapnel going everywhere and tearing thru flesh easily.  You need to submerge it under a foot of water to be safe.  Then if it goes, you just get wet.

WWW   IP Logged
Karen A
YaBB Newbies

What do you mean
"park it for
the winter"?

Roanoke, VA
Reply #13 - 08/01/14 at 07:37:32

also wanted to add, I've found a replacement stock muffler, so that's taken care of.  The person who posted the fender, I can't send PM's yet (but should soon) - but I get paid next Friday so... Wink

if the bike had come in the cobalt blue I'm wanting, I would just look for a new tank that color, but since I'm going to have to shell out to paint it, used or repaired would be my next bet.

Karen - KI4GOT
WWW   IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #14 - 08/01/14 at 10:44:50

+1 on Versy's caution about filling the tank with compressed air.
That could be very dangerous.

Another option:  Fill the tank completely with water then use a
small bicycle pump to pressurize it. That's how we test pump
casings to failure. When they break the water runs out, but
no explosion from the large volume of compressed air.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:35:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Tank Dent Repair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.