Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
To Wrench or Not to Wrench (Read 268 times)
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

To Wrench or Not to Wrench
07/31/14 at 18:44:11

Hello all,

So I'm facing a bit of a conundrum at the moment. Planning a ride with a Brother in September and I'm trying to get the bike in tip top shape.

Currently, she needs new tires and probably new brake pads/shoes installed (last ones installed were in October of last year), and a tune up. I've already purchased the tires (Shinko 712s),  and pads/shoes, so I have all those parts.

Now I've already read a lot on how some modifications may be needed to put the rear Shinko 712 on since it is a slightly wider tire (140/90-15). I have saddlebag mounts on the side fender rails and I really don't want to have to take them off since they were kind of a hassle to put on the first place and I'll need the luggage space for the ride in September.

The issue here is a combination of lack of money and lack of experience. On the one hand, even though I don't have all the tools at my disposal, I would be willing to invest in acquiring them in order to learn to do these tasks myself. I'm assuming (and we all know what happens when people do that) that this would alleviate the cost concerns. However, my complete lack of experience working on the tires, brakes, and drive belt concern me. Especially with the larger rear tire concerns, I would hate to screw something up before a good ride. Then again, if I don't try, how will I ever learn?

So I am asking all you better experienced wrenchers' opinions on whether I should attempt this feat or not since it probably isn't a feat at your experience level anyway. What say you? To wrench or not to wrench?  Wink

Respects,

Sword

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Re: To Wrench or Not to Wrench
Reply #1 - 07/31/14 at 19:07:08

This is a hard call to make not knowing much about the experience you do have. Second issue, brakes and tires, is this really where you want to learn?  It could be very costly if you don't understand exactly what you are doing and why.  This is just my honest opinion.  I ask this only because there may be someone close by that can take a second look to make sure your doing it right. Where are you located?

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 07/31/14 at 19:43:09

Wrench it:
- Get comfortable with taking the seat and tank off. This allows you to see how the machine is put together.
- Start with simple things, like brakes, tires, spark plug, oil/air filter and oil change.
- Don't worry about breaking things yet. Once you become more familiar with how the machine is put together, and knowing how to navigate this site, you'll be in a good position to know how not to break things, and, how to fix them if you do. The most frustrating problem is snapping a bolt off. It can be fixed, with patience and finesse.
- Not wrenching this motorcycle will probably lead to more problems that wrenching it. If your turning the bolts on this thing, it's probably going to be done right...eventually  Smiley
- You'll probably never have to take the engine out, or apart. You may have to take the carb out once.
- Most motorcycle wrenching is to inspect and adjust things. Have a camera ready so you can ask "Is this thing 'sposed to be bent like this?"
- You will get oil leaks. They can be fixed. And, unless it's gushing oil, that work can be scheduled for the off season.

So yes, wrench it. Take your time. You can accumulate the tools you need over time. The cost of the tools is usually cheaper than shop labor, and, you don't have to figure out how to get the bike to the shop and back.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #3 - 07/31/14 at 20:36:25

Hey, I had to remove my saddle bag supports because the mounting hardware was rubbing the right side of my slightly larger than stock tire. I didn't mean to go larger than stock I just replaced the size that was on the rim. I'm planning to get 1/2 taller shocks, when funds allow, to solve the problem and then Viking Hard Bags.

http://www.vikingbags.com/viking-lamellar-leather-covered-shock-cutout-hard-s...

There's lots of stuff I want to tweak but the absolute next thing is the Verslagen Adjuster to remove the live hand grenade from inside my engine.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/31/14 at 20:51:24

pass on the tires
do the brakes
do the tune up; sparky, valves, filters, oil.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 07/31/14 at 22:00:13

verslagen1 wrote on 07/31/14 at 20:51:24:
pass on the tires
do the brakes

Concur. If you take the bike to a shop for the rear tire, just have them replace the bolts that go through the rear fender with cap heads as long as they are right there. I shouldn't be more than 15-30 minutes of labor on their part. My mechanic did it for free just because.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 08/01/14 at 01:04:02

Forget the tires. Even with access to a couple tire machines, I hate changing Savage tires. Still recovering from a nearly to the bone deep gash/burn on my right index finger that I got the first part of July.

Need to open my 03 up this weekend and swap in the CCT out of my deceased 98. Another essential if less than fun task. I'll hit 5600 miles on it since mid-April on my way to a meeting later this morning... and it had 7157.5 on it when I bought it. Kinda pushing my luck, it is getting a bit noisy in there...

Forget the rear brake shoes, just reset the travel on your current ones. I'm the only person here to consistently wear out rear shoes, because the stock front brake on my 98 never worked correctly in the 12 years it was roadworthy.

Change your oil and filters, if you have better than 3/16" of tread on your tires top them up and enjoy your trip.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/01/14 at 06:37:11

Seaweednh wrote on 07/31/14 at 19:07:08:
This is a hard call to make not knowing much about the experience you do have. Second issue, brakes and tires, is this really where you want to learn?  It could be very costly if you don't understand exactly what you are doing and why.

Maybe I should have been a little more specific about the experience that I have so far. I already change my own oil, oil filter, and air filter.
Last year, with the help of this site I learned to disassemble the bike as far as the seats, odometer, and tank. I took apart the carb, cleaned it, and replaced the float valves. I also replaced the stock petcock with the Raptor. The only other thing I've done since then is mount the saddlebag mounts on the side rear fender.

I totally understand what you're saying. I guess its just a pride thing of doing it myself, plus the money issue. And if I don't learn now, when do I learn?

IP Logged
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/01/14 at 06:40:35

1st2know wrote on 07/31/14 at 19:43:09:
- Not wrenching this motorcycle will probably lead to more problems that wrenching it.

Could you expand on this please?

Quote:
Have a camera ready so you can ask "Is this thing 'sposed to be bent like this?"

Good idea. Thanks

Quote:
You will get oil leaks. They can be fixed. And, unless it's gushing oil, that work can be scheduled for the off season.

I do have the infamous oil leak from the engine head. Its not that bad, just annoying and from what I've read its not really worth it to get it fixed anyway.

IP Logged
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/01/14 at 06:47:40

verslagen1 wrote on 07/31/14 at 20:51:24:
pass on the tires
do the brakes

Don't you have to take the tires off to do the brakes? Or at least disassemble the bike to the point where taking the tires off wouldn't be that much more difficult?

Quote:
If you take the bike to a shop for the rear tire, just have them replace the bolts that go through the rear fender with cap heads as long as they are right there. I shouldn't be more than 15-30 minutes of labor on their part. My mechanic did it for free just because.

So that should that allow me to keep my saddlebag mounts on? I feel I could do that myself. Do you know what size cap heads?

IP Logged
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/01/14 at 06:50:58

WD wrote on 08/01/14 at 01:04:02:
Forget the tires. Even with access to a couple tire machines

I'm really showing how much of a newb I really am today. I hadn't even considered to look at tire machines. I figured most people just usually did it with hand tools

Quote:
Need to open my 03 up this weekend and swap in the CCT out of my deceased 98.

What is the CCT?

Quote:
Forget the rear brake shoes, just reset the travel on your current ones. I'm the only person here to consistently wear out rear shoes, because the stock front brake on my 98 never worked correctly in the 12 years it was roadworthy.

What does resetting the travel mean?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/01/14 at 07:20:56

ByMySword wrote on 08/01/14 at 06:47:40:
Don't you have to take the tires off to do the brakes? Or at least disassemble the bike to the point where taking the tires off wouldn't be that much more difficult?

Rear yes, front no, but I was talking tires, not wheels.
When you get the tires done, take the wheels off the bike and take it into the shop.  while the wheels are off, do the brakes.

Quote:
If you take the bike to a shop for the rear tire, just have them replace the bolts that go through the rear fender with cap heads as long as they are right there. I shouldn't be more than 15-30 minutes of labor on their part. My mechanic did it for free just because.

Quote:
So that should that allow me to keep my saddlebag mounts on? I feel I could do that myself. Do you know what size cap heads?

Use Button allen heads, you'll have to measure how long, or remove and take 'm w/you.

WWW   IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #12 - 08/01/14 at 07:21:03

ByMySword wrote on 08/01/14 at 06:37:11:
Seaweednh wrote on 07/31/14 at 19:07:08:
This is a hard call to make not knowing much about the experience you do have. Second issue, brakes and tires, is this really where you want to learn?  It could be very costly if you don't understand exactly what you are doing and why.

Maybe I should have been a little more specific about the experience that I have so far. I already change my own oil, oil filter, and air filter.
Last year, with the help of this site I learned to disassemble the bike as far as the seats, odometer, and tank. I took apart the carb, cleaned it, and replaced the float valves. I also replaced the stock petcock with the Raptor. The only other thing I've done since then is mount the saddlebag mounts on the side rear fender.

I totally understand what you're saying. I guess its just a pride thing of doing it myself, plus the money issue. And if I don't learn now, when do I learn?

Fair enough, we all had to learn at some time.  My concern is that you are on two wheels and asking whether you should tackle it or not means your not sure of yourself.  My concern is your personal safety doing the tires and brakes,  With that said, please buy a service manual for your bike.  It does give step by step instructions on what you want to do. I've been turning wrenches for over 40 years, made more mistakes than I care to count, mainly in my younger years.  Once again, my only concern is your personal safety, nothing else,

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #13 - 08/01/14 at 07:47:21

CCT = Camchain tensioner.

Front brakes require you only to remove the caliper.  You might take an hour or two if it's your first time and you're drinking a lot of beer. That is definitely something you should wrench yourself.

On the right side of the drum just above the brake link arm are limit marks.  When the brake pedal is pressed, the notch in the arm should be between those two limits.  Rear drums are not self-adjusting like the ones in your car.  If it is beyond the limit, you have to turn the adjuster on the rear brake cable.  You simply rotate the nut to extend the cable until the adjustment is back within limits.  Usually you can just do it with your fingers - no tools required!  Cheesy  Only when you have run out of adjustment do you need to replace the rear brake shoes.

If you need to get your tires done, let a shop do them. Most shops will mount for $15-20 a tire.  IMHO, that is worth the hassle.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/01/14 at 07:55:59

verslagen1 wrote on 08/01/14 at 07:20:56:
Rear yes, front no, but I was talking tires, not wheels.When you get the tires done, take the wheels off the bike and take it into the shop.  while the wheels are off, do the brakes.

Quote:
Use Button allen heads, you'll have to measure how long, or remove and take 'm w/you.

Great, thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:28:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To Wrench or Not to Wrench

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.