Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
To Wrench or Not to Wrench (Read 268 times)
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: To Wrench or Not to Wrench
Reply #15 - 08/01/14 at 07:59:59

Seaweednh wrote on 08/01/14 at 07:21:03:
Fair enough, we all had to learn at some time.  My concern is that you are on two wheels and asking whether you should tackle it or not means your not sure of yourself.  My concern is your personal safety doing the tires and brakes,  With that said, please buy a service manual for your bike.  It does give step by step instructions on what you want to do. I've been turning wrenches for over 40 years, made more mistakes than I care to count, mainly in my younger years.  Once again, my only concern is your personal safety, nothing else,

You're right, I'm not sure and I don't want to do something unsafe. I've never been very dexterous, unfortunately. I do have the Clymer Service Manual, though. I'm still in my younger years, I guess, and I'm okay with making mistakes, I just don't want those mistakes to threaten my safety or my wallet. Thank you for your input.

I also realized I missed your initial question of my location. I'm located in the Houston area.

IP Logged
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/01/14 at 08:08:33

HondaLavis wrote on 08/01/14 at 07:47:21:
CCT = Camchain tensioner.

Front brakes require you only to remove the caliper.  You might take an hour or two if it's your first time and you're drinking a lot of beer. That is definitely something you should wrench yourself.

On the right side of the drum just above the brake link arm are limit marks.  When the brake pedal is pressed, the notch in the arm should be between those two limits.  Rear drums are not self-adjusting like the ones in your car.  If it is beyond the limit, you have to turn the adjuster on the rear brake cable.  You simply rotate the nut to extend the cable until the adjustment is back within limits.  Usually you can just do it with your fingers - no tools required!  Cheesy  Only when you have run out of adjustment do you need to replace the rear brake shoes.

If you need to get your tires done, let a shop do them. Most shops will mount for $15-20 a tire.  IMHO, that is worth the hassle.

Wow, great to know, thanks!

I've been getting some different quotes from people either online or know personally for how much shops charge for the labor of changing tires. Some have ranged from low like yours to around $75 and even over $100. I don't want to get screwed.

I noticed you're in the Killeen area. Ironically that's where we're going on our trip. One of our Army buddies recently got stationed there and another one is just getting back from deployment, so we're organizing a reunion. Not telling our buddy in Killeen though. We're just going to show up and surprise him.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 08/01/14 at 08:56:03

ByMySword wrote on 08/01/14 at 08:08:33:
If you need to get your tires done, let a shop do them. Most shops will mount for $15-20 a tire.  IMHO, that is worth the hassle.
I've been getting some different quotes from people either online or know personally for how much shops charge for the labor of changing tires. Some have ranged from low like yours to around $75 and even over $100. I don't want to get screwed.

I think that's just for mounting the tire on the wheel, not for taking the wheel off the bike... just to be clear.

WWW   IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #18 - 08/01/14 at 10:06:27

ByMySword wrote on 08/01/14 at 06:40:35:
1st2know wrote on 07/31/14 at 19:43:09:
- Not wrenching this motorcycle will probably lead to more problems that wrenching it.

Could you expand on this please?

Sure - here are 3 examples of how wrenching extends the life of the machine:

- Taking the head cover off allows you to inspect the condition of cam and valve tappets. If something is going wrong with oil flow, you can see symptoms of it here. Catching problems here will add thousands of miles to the machine.

- Removing the clutch cover allows you to inspect the cam chain, and cam chain tensioner. Problems here can cause end of life for the machine. Catching a problem here could mean the difference of  junking the machine at 15,000 mi. or riding it way past 30,000 mi.

- Pulling the drive pulley occasionally will allow you to inspect the condition of the splines on the drive shaft. Catching a problem here  and you avoid having an engine that starts right up, but can't turn the rear wheel, rendering the engine effectively useless.

For the most part, these 3 jobs cost very little, unless you find a problem, then the cost to remedy is cheap compared to the risk of junking the bike. Finding a problem in any of these three examples is probably not going to cost more than $100 USD in parts or machining. Not doing these things, I doubt the machine will see 20,000 miles.

« Last Edit: 08/01/14 at 11:25:40 by verslagen1 »  

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/01/14 at 10:33:24

verslagen1 wrote on 08/01/14 at 08:56:03:
I think that's just for mounting the tire on the wheel, not for taking the wheel off the bike... just to be clear.

Oh, okay. Well its the getting the wheel off and on part that is the most concerning to me. I want to make sure its properly aligned and everything.

From what I've read and seen, getting the tire off an on is tedious but fairly simple. I think I could handle that much.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 08/01/14 at 10:37:12

I just wrestled with the tire changing issue.

I have no problem unbolting/bolting the wheels on and off the bike, so the decision to take the wheels to someone with a machine to change the tires off the rim became the next question.  I got a quote of $30 and $35 from the 2 local shops.  I have tire irons, 4 plastic protectors for the rims, and a nice garage to work in....and I decided the $60 - $70 was more money than I wanted to spend for them to change the tires...and for me to worry about them scratching my rims.

So I decided to change the tires myself....it is something I have experience in and am comfortable doing.  Time to mount and dismount the wheels - 1 Hour.  Time to break the bead, remove one side of the tire, remove the tube, remove the other side of tire, install one side of new  tire, install new tube, air up tube to straighten kinks out of tube, let air out of tube, install other side of tire, slightly air up tire to straighten kinks out of tube, let air out of tire and install valve stem core, air up tire and not have bead seat fully, let out air and push bead around a bit, install valve core and inflate tire again, fuss around with the bead a little, then fully air tire.....1 hour each.  Total time to remove wheels, old tires, install new tires, install wheels on bike....3 hours....about $ 20 an hour for my time.

If you have never mounted a tire before.....find someone local to either help you....or go help them mount a tire on their bike.  Dirt bike guys often have flats and get plenty of experience! (And working on tires that have 1 or 2 rims locks or are 6 ply desert racing tires always makes it more challenging).

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/01/14 at 10:43:53

1st2know wrote on 08/01/14 at 10:06:27:
Sure - here are 3 examples of how wrenching extends the life of the machine:

- Taking the head cover off allows you to inspect the condition of cam and valve tappets. If something is going wrong with oil flow, you can see symptoms of it here. Catching problems here will add thousands of miles to the machine.

- Removing the clutch cover allows you to inspect the cam chain, and cam chain tensioner. Problems here can cause end of life for the machine. Catching a problem here could mean the difference of  junking the machine at 15,000 mi. or riding it way past 30,000 mi.

- Pulling the drive pulley occasionally will allow you to inspect the condition of the splines on the drive shaft. Catching a problem here  and you avoid having an engine that starts right up, but can't turn the rear wheel, rendering the engine effectively useless.

For the most part, these 3 jobs cost very little, unless you find a problem, then the cost to remedy is cheap compared to the risk of junking the bike. Finding a problem in any of these three examples is probably not going to cost more than $100 USD in parts or machining. Not doing these things, I doubt the machine will see 20,000 miles.

Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it.

IP Logged
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/01/14 at 10:46:58

Dave wrote on 08/01/14 at 10:37:12:
I just wrestled with the tire changing issue.

I have no problem unbolting/bolting the wheels on and off the bike, so the decision to take the wheels to someone with a machine to change the tires off the rim became the next question.  I got a quote of $30 and $35 from the 2 local shops.  I have tire irons, 4 plastic protectors for the rims, and a nice garage to work in....and I decided the $60 - $70 was more money than I wanted to spend for them to change the tires...and for me to worry about them scratching my rims.

So I decided to change the tires myself....it is something I have experience in and am comfortable doing.  Time to mount and dismount the wheels - 1 Hour.  Time to break the bead, remove one side of the tire, remove the tube, remove the other side of tire, install one side of new  tire, install new tube, air up tube to straighten kinks out of tube, let air out of tube, install other side of tire, slightly air up tire to straighten kinks out of tube, let air out of tire and install valve stem core, air up tire and not have bead seat fully, let out air and push bead around a bit, install valve core and inflate tire again, fuss around with the bead a little, then fully air tire.....1 hour each.  Total time to remove wheels, old tires, install new tires, install wheels on bike....3 hours....about $ 20 an hour for my time.

If you have never mounted a tire before.....find someone local to either help you....or go help them mount a tire on their bike.  Dirt bike guys often have flats and get plenty of experience! (And working on tires that have 1 or 2 rims locks or are 6 ply desert racing tires always makes it more challenging).

Dave

Thanks for the time estimate and advice. As it just so happens I do have a friend who has some experience with dirt bikes. I know he would help me out.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #23 - 08/01/14 at 11:59:00

wrench, always wrench.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 08/01/14 at 13:57:41

To wrench, or not to wrench, that is the question—
Whether 'tis Cheaper in the mind to sling
Outrageous Fortunes at the stealership,
Or to take wrenches against a Sea of troubles,
And by Clymer's Ink end them? To tune, to mod—
No more; and by the ride, to say we end
The butte-ache, and the thousand Natural shocks
That Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to wrench. To tune, to mod,
To mod, perchance to Dream; Aye, there's the rub,
For in that work of wrench, what dreams may come,
When we have cut off this ignition coil,
That gave us pause. There's the aspect
That makes Calamity of so long a life;
For who could bear the Corrosion and Scratches of time,
The Previous Owners wrong, the tax man's levy,
The pangs of despised V-twins, the Law’s decree,
That insolence of the DMV Office,
and the Spurns of the unworthy caged,
When he himself might ride With bare head?
Who would these Liberals bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary Helm,
Perchance to be injured and laid bare,
To leave the undiscovered Country,
from roads bourn No Rider returns,
And makes us rather bear those hungers we have,
And fly to cities that we know not of.
Thus Cost does make Cowards of us all,
And thus the Native hue of Paint
Is sprayed o'er, with the dark cast of Black,
And chains of great pitch and length,
With this Mod their rpms turn slower,
And lose the harm of Vibration.
Softly now, Hand and feet. no longer Buzzing,
In all thy Fingers and toes,
Come Monday, all my bills remembered.

(poor Shakespeare)   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #25 - 08/01/14 at 14:25:49

verslagen1 wrote on 08/01/14 at 08:56:03:
ByMySword wrote on 08/01/14 at 08:08:33:

The information I gave is what I paid to bring my bike in, have the shop remove the wheels, replace the tires, and reinstall the wheels on the bike.  I paid $40.  YMMV

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #26 - 08/01/14 at 18:05:53

verslagen1 wrote on 08/01/14 at 13:57:41:

Dang that is awesome....

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #27 - 08/02/14 at 17:47:29

verslagen1 wrote a Assume, "Shakespeare', like, oricial.

Now I am waiting for someone to do the same,
in the voice/style, of Samuel Clemens.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
ByMySword
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 08/09/14 at 09:30:56

S-P wrote on 08/01/14 at 18:05:53:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/01/14 at 13:57:41:

Dang that is awesome....

Indeed, and now that I have my muse, I have opted to wrench! I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all the advice.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 08/09/14 at 09:48:21

good job Verslagen,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:19:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To Wrench or Not to Wrench

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.