stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
golf balls
07/30/14 at 13:41:42

I am getting tired of cars flying around me in the left turning lane when I am on a 45mph road going 50mph. They wait for the few straightaways and fly around me as if I am poking and then they kick up dirt and road trash on me that has settled in the turn lane.

Usually I lay on the horn and raise my hand (no one finger salute just to be respectful of kids) and yell at them. They usually take off even faster because I guess they think I am going to come after them (I do carry a pistol)...though if I ever catch them at a signal or parking lot I will share a piece of my mind because I am a careful and respectful driver and know that they were just being an a$$ because they are like everyone else on the road...in a hurry and willing to run anyone down to get there.

Anyhow, is it illegal to throw golf balls at people when they do the above?  I feel threatened with my life when this happens and throwing golf balls is my defense mechanism.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: golf balls
Reply #1 - 07/30/14 at 13:57:21

Yup,.. that would be against the law... (don't shoot'em either... Grin)...

Best thing is to just pull to the right, and wave them past when it's safe...
Don't seem right,.. but it is the safest, best thing for both of you...

It is legal to hope they have a really rotten day... karma's a beotch... Huh...
Besides,... it'd probably ricochet and hit you... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/30/14 at 14:21:55

Serowbot wrote on 07/30/14 at 13:57:21:
Yup,.. that would be against the law... (don't shoot'em either... Grin)...

Thems boneheads aren't worth going to jail.

Best thing is to just pull to the right, and wave them past when it's safe...
Don't seem right,.. but it is the safest, best thing for both of you...

Yup, I usually do...despite really wanting to get on the throttle and stay in the lead until their self-made 'passing lane' runs out.

It is legal to hope they have a really rotten day... karma's a beotch... Huh...

I do...I hope I pass them with a flat tire, out if gas, pulled over for speeding, or something similar so I can ride by and 'toot toot' with a big grin on my face.

Besides,... it'd probably ricochet and hit you... Grin...

Thought about that too.  Maybe if I used something less bouncy...or golf balls dipped in gorilla glue so they stick on impact?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 07/30/14 at 14:28:07

Golf balls bounce. Coins or marbles work better. If the driver gets angry, bad things can happen though. I usually just speed up to help dissuade them passing. Not the safest thing either.

As a side note, I had a woman that wanted to pass me in the right lane that was ending. I was exceeding the speed limit by probably 10mph. I sped up and when her lane was about to end, pulled in front of her and slowed down to about 10 or 15 mph. She was p!ssed. I felt better. I am sure I got lucky she didn't rear end me.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 07/30/14 at 14:29:50

Guy I know carries a couple of handfuls of BBs in his pocket. If someone tailgates him  he throws a few over his shoulder. Makes a racket when they hit the car, but doesn't do any damage.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/30/14 at 14:34:21

Serowbot wrote on 07/30/14 at 13:57:21:
It is legal to hope they have a really rotten day... karma's CAN BE a beotch... Huh...

Remember you're naked and invisible.
Apparently you have good karma, after all... they did see you.   Cool
Don't flip the coin, the other side is real nasty.

WWW   IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #6 - 07/30/14 at 15:28:10

arteacher wrote on 07/30/14 at 14:29:50:
Guy I know carries a couple of handfuls of BBs in his pocket. If someone tailgates him  he throws a few over his shoulder. Makes a racket when they hit the car, but doesn't do any damage.

It would be my luck to hit those BBs long afterwards and go down.  As a kid raising hell I was racing cars with a "friend" who threw "clackers" out the window and continue to bounce multiple times under the car. I thought for sure it had done major damage.  For those who don't know what the clackers are, it was two golf ball size resin balls attached  by approx. 18" of string. No, I wouldn't throw anything at them, you could end up killing someone and it may not be the driver.  I had a customer that drove a semi.  What he did to mess with the jerks was to mount locomotive air horns sideways under the cab, one to the right and one to the left. he reported these were very effective when the driver was directly beside them.  Unfortunately we don't have the room or compressor but his stories always makes me smile.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/30/14 at 15:44:09

Definitely don't use a golf ball... it would pretty obvious that it came from you... (a piece of gravel or a nut just might have been spit up from your tire)... "How'd dat happen?"...
... aaaa,.. also,.... I've heard that the ceramic from a broken spark plug will shatter glass very nicely...

... and I never said that,... and wouldn't do that,.. and recommend that...
Not one bit at all... Lips Sealed...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #8 - 07/30/14 at 17:16:56

I do know guys that ride with dirty washer/nutss... "musta come off something" a buddy of mine with some bangsnaps https://www.google.com/search?q=bangsnaps&safe=off&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&sour... They just pop and flash on impact with a windsheild, i almost always ride wih my g/f and her rebel 250...its soooo slow.... so we move out of the way of, well, everything. But when i'm on my own i just don't let them squeeze me out if i can. It's definitely not worth it to get into an extended "space" war with a cager, they will win.  Undecided

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/30/14 at 18:47:22

A golf ball never goes where I want it to when I hit it with a golf club so I have no reason to think it will go where I want it to when thrown....sigh.

Just try and take the high road....in any altercation between a car and a bike, the car always wins, darn it.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 07/30/14 at 21:37:07

Yeah, I am generally a safe driver and am very defensive because I trust no one in a cage when i am on my bike.  It's not the passing in the passing lane or swooping around me on a 4 lane that gets me, it's the jerks that pass on a 150' center turn lane that have to gun it and shoot around me before the turn lane cuts off and it puts me at risk because if I don't yield aggressively to the right they will run me off the road because the 150' turn lane is NOWHERE near enough to pass someone at 50+mph.

I will probably never do anything bad because I am a nice guy and I was irritated today (well...for a while now) because work sucks a big fat egg right now and I was already irritated this morning before I left the house.

However...shall I see the same black Chrysler 300 another morning you can bet your sweet behiney he'll have hell to pay if there is oncoming traffic the whole way into town....can we say 15mph for 3 miles?

P.S. Has anyone successfully taken a video to the police of some of this erratic driving and had the person in the video cited for reckless driving or at least contacted (using the tag to ID them) to shake them up?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/30/14 at 22:03:26

stewmills wrote on 07/30/14 at 21:37:07:
P.S. Has anyone successfully taken a video to the police of some of this erratic driving and had the person in the video cited for reckless driving or at least contacted (using the tag to ID them) to shake them up?

You'll never know until you try.   Cool

Find out who's the lead motor leo and email it to him.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/30/14 at 23:18:52

BTW... there have been several prosecutions of perps bragging on youtube.

If they can identify who it is, at least they'll be watching.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #13 - 07/31/14 at 04:27:54

stewmills wrote on 07/30/14 at 21:37:07:

Whole different story but, on my way to town in the truck one day my wife and I saw what we thought was a drunk driver, all over and off the road, very erratic speed, that kind of thing. I called the police on my cell phone, and they asked me if i could follow him until they caught up, which I did. He went to a lawyer's office (of all places) and was stopped before the police arrived. I left and they went in to talk to him, turns out the guy was handicapped (or whatever the PC term is) and not drunk. The police called me and asked if I wanted to press charges since they had not seen him driving. I didn't do it, figured the guy had enough trouble. But he did have me worried the way he was driving.

Anyway, my point is call the police and let them know what happened, they might come out and observe, especially if it happens often.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 07/31/14 at 07:12:53

Sounds like I need to set up a little 'sting operation'   Grin Grin Grin

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:21:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › golf balls

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.