Send Topic Print
Switching power source (Read 108 times)
S40dude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Switching power source
07/29/14 at 23:33:57

I'm trying to install a digital voltmeter and unsure which wire to splice into.. Eventually I'll be installing an auxiliary plug to charge my phone. Can anyone help me with finding the wire? I have a 2009.

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Switching power source
Reply #1 - 07/30/14 at 00:21:20

depends on where you're placing the gage.
best results would be to run a new wire from the bat.
bat you could take it from the hot side of the neutral light or the front brake switch.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/30/14 at 04:21:24

Just about any orange wire in the harness will get you a supply of power - but it may not be clean.  You could also use the running light wires that to the bulb in each of the front turn signals.

If you use one of the existing wires in the harness, the digital volt meter may jump around whenever you use the turn signals, horn, brake lights, etc.  The harness has a lot of interconnections and the power may not be steady.  The first time I hooked up my tach to a power wire in the harness, the rpm reading would spike with my turn signals and my red rpm limit light would come on.

You could try tapping into the running lights in the headlight bucket, and if the reading is not steady enough you will need to find another source or do what Verslagen suggests....and run a + and - wire to the battery....that will be the steadiest and will most accurately reflect what the battery is doing.

Here is a link to the wiring diagrams, that will help you decipher the stock wiring.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S40dude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/31/14 at 00:36:30

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I know I could run straight to the batt but then I'd have to remember to turn something else off when I shut the bike down.. I'll give the orange wire a try and let you know

IP Logged
S40dude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/10/14 at 20:52:59

I Followed the grey wire that comes out of the ignition. There is a plug there and on the other side its orange. According to the wiring diagram its the same circuit as the neutral light.

IMG_20140810_202920.jpg
  IP Logged
S40dude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/10/14 at 20:56:18

I lost the cover to my tool box so I put it there so it doesn't look so bare  :'(

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:21:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Switching power source

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.