Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I'm stumped!  Carb or Petcock, or both?! (Read 380 times)
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: I'm stumped!  Carb or Petcock, or both?!
Reply #30 - 08/04/14 at 07:50:58

Well I have an update, kinda.  I received and installed the new Raptor petcock yesterday.  The bike started right up and seamed to run good.  But same as before, after a few minutes and maybe a half mile down the road, it started to stutter and miss, and then shut off.

The trend after replacing my needle/seat is that the airbox no longer fills with oil/fuel.  However the long black drain tube that runs to the bottom of the bike was partially full.

So far that's a new needle/seat, raptor petcock, floats checked for sinking, and cleaned the carb inside and out twice.

I'm going to check the float height next although I'm not sure how this really could get bent or out of place.  I've already held the carb in a bowl of gas without the bowl on and watched the needle close when the fuel is about 1/4" from the carb/bowl mounting flange.  Any input as to a better method or where to adjust the floats?

My other thought is I haven't changed the spark plug.  Is it possible that the plug is bad and/or cracked, causing an issue once warm it fouls?  Fuel keeps coming in flooding out?

Not sure what else to try or look at, about ready to just buy a different used carb.  Undecided

Aaron

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #31 - 08/04/14 at 09:26:23

Does power cut out when it shuts off? How quickly are you able to restart the bike?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #32 - 08/04/14 at 09:40:22

94camroz28 wrote on 08/04/14 at 07:50:58:
My other thought is I haven't changed the spark plug.  Is it possible that the plug is bad and/or cracked, causing an issue once warm it fouls?  Fuel keeps coming in flooding out?

Nope... once the engine dies, it can't suck any more gas... the engine will only suck up what it can burn, unless the carb is messed up...
What you have is definitely a fuel problem...not an engine problem...

Now that you have a Raptor, (and the vacuum line is solidly blocked off)... it is narrowed down to to a carb problem...
Buying a new carb is a drastic solution,.. but it should fix the problem...
I wouldn't spend the money... I'd fix the problem, but that's your choice...
If you do,... I'd recommend staying with the stock model carb... a different model is a whole new can of worms to deal with...

May I suggest you keep at it for a while... I'm sure you're missing something simple...
We can find it, with some persistence...

Try this... remove the bowl, disconnect the fuel line from the Raptor,... now, with the floats just hanging down in space, blow into the fuel line, while you slowly raise the floats with your finger... As they reach horizontal, you should feel your air cut off... it should be impossible to blow past the float needle... if air still passes,.. there is something wrong with your seat installation...

Good luck... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 08/04/14 at 11:22:00

Arnold wrote on 08/04/14 at 09:26:23:
Does power cut out when it shuts off? How quickly are you able to restart the bike?

The best I can explain it is its as off you turned the choke on a small engine that's hot.  It suddenly starts chugging and coughing.  I can keep it running for about 10-20 seconds by keeping full throttle, but then its done.  Also, it will not restart until the bike cools down.  Usually it'll be at least 20-30 min before it'll start, but if it completely cools its a sure bet it'll fire right up.

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 08/04/14 at 11:24:09

Serowbot, I'll try that, thanks!

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #35 - 08/04/14 at 11:51:13

Pull the plug, what color is it at the ignition end?  Better still, post a photo.

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #36 - 08/04/14 at 11:54:28

When it's about ready to die, loosen the gas cap and see what happens.

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 08/04/14 at 11:57:28

Alright guys, I finally was able to get home from a camping trip and try a few things.  First, I held a clear tube on the bottom of the carb bowl and let the fuel drain into it.  Holding it upright, I was trying to see how far up in the bowl the fuel was coming.  I wasn't able to get a real good look but I felt that as before, when I held the floats/carb into a bowl of fuel, the fuel is getting to about 1/4" shy of the mounting flange of the bowl.  

After this, I then tried removing the fuel line from the raptor petcock, and then blew into the fuel line.  As the floats reached the mid point of total travel, air flow started to become restricted.  Slightly past the mid point, I was not able to blow any air at all into the fuel line.  I feel quite confident the new needle/seat that I installed is working properly, also it wasn't a cheap aftermarket, I installed an OEM part.

I then also had stopped at the power sports dealer near by and picked up a new NGK spark plug.  I figured for $3, why not.  I took the new plug and found the correct sized deep well socket.  Then with an extension I reached down in to loosen the old plug and holy crap, it was VERY loose already!  Shocked  In fact it was so loose that I couldn't even use the ratchet, and had to use my fingers on the extension.  

The old plug looks rather black/fouled as to be expected, with the remainder of the plug looking normal.  Although everyone says its a fuel issue, and I believe it still may be, I am hoping this is the actual cause.  Is it possible it started to miss fire from the super loose plug, but since the engine was still turning/pumping air, fuel was being sucked in and not burnt until it finally flooded itself out?

With so much screwing around with this bike the already old/used up battery finally has taken a dump.  Unfortunately I wasn't even able to start it to try the bike.  I'll report back tomorrow after I get a chance to get a new battery and install it.

Aaron

« Last Edit: 08/07/14 at 14:04:10 by 94camroz28 »  
  IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 08/08/14 at 08:37:01

New battery in today and the bike fired right up, after idling a bit and warming up, I was able to shut if off and restart it without a problem.  Before I wasn't able to do this, it wouldn't restart till cooled off.

I took it for a short ride up and down my road.  It seemed to be completely normal for at least 5-10 minutes, which is a huge improvement over before.  After a few full throttle blasts it again started to act up.  I seems to almost stutter a little and then starts to miss, however now not nearly as bad as before.  With some throttle control I could still keep it running now, where before there was no way.

When I checked the float height the other day I did bend the floats slightly so that they would close the float needle sooner.  I am going to drop the bowl again once it cools down and adjust the floats again to see if that makes a difference.

Aaron

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 08/08/14 at 12:29:49

FIXED!!! Smiley  Well it turns out it may have been one little thing, or a combination of issues all working against me!  I guess that's what you get buying a used bike with unknown history.

Today after I readjusted the floats again, the bike seemed better, but I still was getting some oil/fuel in the black drain tube at the bottom of the bike.  I decided since I've done a number of test runs that I should change the contaminated oil.  I planned on doing this right away, however I didn't want to change it and then recontaminate it with flooded fuel.

Looking into the sight glass the oil level was full.  As I removed the drain bolt, I couldn't believe my eyes.  I would guess AT LEAST 2.5-3 quarts came out.  Either someone didn't know what they were doing and decided to fill the bike full of oil, or that much fuel had gotten into the crankcase initially with the flooding issues.  Either way after filling the bike to the mid point between the two lines on the sight glass, I took it out again.  

This time not only did the bike fire right up, it sounded crisper, idled smoother, and even after being warm, the idle would stay at the same point, previously it would slowly get lower until it started to foul/act up.

I put about 10 miles on it so far at city speeds to highway speeds.  It starts right up when warm, (before it wouldn't), and now the only issue I have is a small occasional backfire when I have a hard downshift/slow down.

In conclusion, maybe it was to much oil in the first place causing all the issues?  Maybe the needle/seat were leaking also as the new one did seem to help, maybe it was the ultra loose spark plug I found that lowered compression slightly making hard starts?  Who knows, all I know is I now have a good running and good looking S40 with only 1600 miles on the clock!  Cool

Thanks for all the help and input everyone!

Aaron

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:21:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm stumped!  Carb or Petcock, or both?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.