Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I'm stumped!  Carb or Petcock, or both?! (Read 380 times)
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: I'm stumped!  Carb or Petcock, or both?!
Reply #15 - 07/28/14 at 12:13:04

The stock petcocks fail one of two ways-- open or closed.

If they fail open, they leak gas down the fuel line or the vacuum line. The result is flooding.

If they fail closed, either there is a vacuum leak or the diaphragm gets too stiff and doesn't open under vacuum. You get fuel starvation. That is what happened to mine. In cold weather, I would stall, coming to a stop. Under low vacuum conditions like 65 MPH into a stiff headwind, the engine would just quit, like running out of gas. Flipping to PRI would get the engine to fire up again while still rolling.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 07/28/14 at 13:20:59

bobert_FSO wrote on 07/28/14 at 12:13:04:
If they fail open, they leak gas down the fuel line or the vacuum line. The result is flooding.

I think you've left something out...

If the petcock fails open, the shutoff seal has failed or there is something holding the valve open allowing gas to flow.  You're now dependent on the float valve to stem the tide.

Or the diaphragm has failed allowing gas to leak into the vac line and directly into the intake bypassing the float valve.  This will also leak while running and cause an over rich condition.

WWW   IP Logged
busterboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, Ga.
Reply #17 - 07/28/14 at 13:55:19

Might be a wild goose chase, but have you tried running with the petcock in prime position? mine woudnt run unless I had it on prime, I replced it and it runs perfect now.

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/28/14 at 15:43:45

busterboy wrote on 07/28/14 at 13:55:19:
Might be a wild goose chase, but have you tried running with the petcock in prime position? mine woudnt run unless I had it on prime, I replced it and it runs perfect now.

Yup, I've tried removing the vacuum line, capping it off, and running on prime.  The results were the same.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 07/28/14 at 16:19:18

Then it ain't the petcock...  I'd change it anyway, just 'cause they are a PIA,.. but that ain't the problem...

You have a problem in the floatbowl.. needle seat or floats...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Update to my non running, flooding, carb/petcock
Reply #20 - 07/31/14 at 14:15:31

Today in the mail I received my new needle and seat.  I took the carb apart yet again and checked, everything was clean internally with no debris found.  I changed out the needle/seat and started the bike on the PRI position.  Im waiting yet for my Raptor petcock to arrive, so I have the vacuum tube pulled off/bypassed.

The bike started a little hard but did fire, and then ran great!  I made it much farther than previous runs up and down my sub division.  I actually thought it was totally fixed until I tried a full throttle blast in 1st gear.  I popped and then started to stumble as if it was either starving of fuel or flooding.  I pulled in the garage and felt I could have forced it to stay running if I kept half throttle, but releasing the throttle to the idle position and it quit.  I wasn't able to get it to re start.  

One major difference now is that I tried pulling the little rubber cap/plug that's at the bottom of the air box, and to my surprise, there was not a drip of fluid that came out.  Previously, the airbox was filling with a oil/gas mixture.

The black drain tube that sticks out about 3-4 inches under the bike was however full of a fuel/oil mixture again though.   Angry

What exactly is this tube and what purpose does it have?  Do I still have a flooding issue even though the air box was dry?  Or is it possible the petcock is jacked up that even in the PRI position the bike wasn't getting fuel?  Not sure where to go from here.

Also, I tried testing my floats by filling a small plastic container with fuel.  I dipped the bottom of the carb into the fuel until the floats closed the float needle.  I would say the fuel had to get about 1/4in to maybe 1/2in from the base of the carb where the bowl mounts in order to close the needle.

Aaron

« Last Edit: 08/01/14 at 18:14:47 by Serowbot »  
  IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Re: Update to my non running, flooding, carb/petco
Reply #21 - 07/31/14 at 15:13:41

Aaron,

You may want to consult the manual and set the float height to specs.  The wrong height will give you flooding or starvation and anything in between. In my youth people I know would come to me to re-rebuild the carbs they had done.  Most of there problems were flooding, and 90% of the time it was the float height was set wrong. You have eliminated the valve by capping off the vacuum line at both ends and obviously you have fuel flow.  So now it's to see why the flow doesn't stop (needle, seat, and float)

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #22 - 07/31/14 at 16:01:41

Did happen to check the filters on the petcock inside the tank? It wouldn't have anything to do with the gas in the air box but it might explain the fuel starvation. Just a thought.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 08/01/14 at 18:02:48

It almost sounds as if you are dealing with two problems at one time, always hard to troubleshoot.  From what you have said in this post and the earlier one it sounds like you did have a float needle/seat that was leaking and now you have that fixed.

You might now have some fuel starvation.
Quote:
the fuel had to get about 1/4in to maybe 1/2in from the base of the carb where the bowl mounts in order to close the needle.

I don't know the spec but I think the fuel level in the float bowl should be up near the point where the bowl gasket is.  I think you can attach a clear plastic tube on the drain at the bottom of the bowl and hold the end up and see how high the fuel level is (sort of like a gauge glass).   I always set them just a tiny bit below the gasket unless I have the actual spec.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Purpose of the Huff Tube?
Reply #24 - 08/01/14 at 17:10:52

I believe the black tube that sits about 3in under the bike with a plug in it is referred to as a huff tube.  What is the reason for this and what does it do?

I've been chasing what I thought was a flooding issue for a bit.  The airbox and this tube kept filling up with a oil/fuel mixture.  I've changed out needle/seat on the carb and the bike ran much longer/better.  After a full throttle run in 1st gear it started to stutter, pop, and shut off again.  

This time however the airbox was not flooded with this mixture, but the huff tube still was full again.

So what exactly is the purpose of this tube and what would cause it to continue to fill up with a oil/fuel mixture?

Thanks
Aaron

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Purpose of the Huff Tube?
Reply #25 - 08/01/14 at 17:56:39

The "huff" tube,... is the crankcase vent tube... it should go from the right-side top of the head, to the air filter... if yours is hanging down... it's disconnected. and should be reconnected....
When the piston goes down,.. this is where the displaced air goes, so that you don't blow an engine seal... that, is the "huff"... (it gets pulled right back when the piston goes up)...

There is tube that comes from the airbox and hangs down.. it should have a little drip cap on it... it drains collected moisture and oil residue from the airbox... and should be drained at each oil change interval...

Quote:
This... is a repeat of your previous question and thread...
Repeated posts are not helpful,.. as we have to keep referring back to the old one to get the history of the problem... in order to give the best advice...
New problems should get new threads,... continuing problems should remain as a single thread...
In fact,... this is the third thread on the same problem...

I, will splice both threads into your original thread shortly...

Serow

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #26 - 08/01/14 at 18:19:43

Bump...
3 threads have been combined into one,.. in order to consolidate the pertinent info about this ongoing problem...
Sorry for any confusion this has caused... in the long run, it will be easier to troubleshoot this way...
Serow

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/01/14 at 18:29:12

Thanks for the clarification on the Huff Tube.  I was talking about the tube that runs from the filter box to under the bike.  Every time the bike floods/acts up, this tube is full of an oily residue that smells like gas.  There is also a small clear cap that is directly connected to the air filter box on the bottom.  I didn't realize there was a cap on the bottom and also a drain tube.

Aaron

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #28 - 08/01/14 at 18:35:09

As long as you have this fuel problem,.. it will collect in the crankcase and filter box... the collecting is a symptom, not the problem...
The problem, is in the petcock vacuum line, or.. inside the floatbowl, i.e., needle, seat, floats, float level, mechanics of the float hinge movement...

Ride and test as little as possible until this gets fixed... because it is contaminating your oil...
Concentrate your efforts in the float and petcock area...
Best I can advise you at this point...

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 08/01/14 at 19:26:56

Thanks!  My new raptor petcock should be arriving any day now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:21:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm stumped!  Carb or Petcock, or both?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.