Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I'm stumped!  Carb or Petcock, or both?! (Read 380 times)
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I'm stumped!  Carb or Petcock, or both?!
07/27/14 at 15:19:10

I've been chasing a flooding, stumbling, non running issue since I purchased this bike.  Its an '07 Boulevard S40 with 1600 miles on it.  I was told the carb needed to be rebuilt.  Taking it apart, I found the main jet slightly gummed up, and the pilot jet clogged.

After putting everything back together, it didn't seem to help, and I posted this: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1405709175

Well its been a while and I finally had a chance to pull everything back apart.  I went through everything on the carb, cleaning it all again.  I put carb cleaner into the fuel line and held the float up thinking the needle valve maybe was leaking.  Nothing came out until lowering the floats enough that valve lowered.  I put the floats in a bowl of warm water looking for bubbles thinking maybe I had a bad float, but they seam ok.

Some suggested previously that the petcock could be an issue.  I've tried removing the vacuum line last time and there wasn't any fuel in it.  Also, I removed it from the carb itself and capped the line/carb inlet.  Running it on PRI the bike still acted the same.

I found the air cleaner box full of fuel/oil today when I went to install the freshly cleaned carb.  I pulled the little plug/cap at the bottom of the box and let it all drain out.

Long story short, after putting everything back together today, the bike fired right up, and ran great for about a 1/4 mile.  Then it shut off and wouldn't restart.  The long black drain tube that runs to the bottom of the bike, about 4 inches off the ground was full of oily fuel.  I haven't pulled the air filter box apart yet but Im sure its full again, as its acting just like it did before.

Anyone have any ideas before I decide to just burn this darn thing!  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: I'm stumped!  Carb or Petcock, or both?!
Reply #1 - 07/27/14 at 15:54:45

You're in exactly the right place,... you just aren't getting it fixed...

I would go ahead and buy a new float needle and seat...
Fuel can only come in through that needle... or the vac line that you have bypassed...

Only possible things are...
- vac line from pet
- float needle and seat
- float leaking
- floats sticking
- floats not adjusted correctly...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/27/14 at 16:01:47

I agree with bot and I'll add a few more...

What size jets?
Do you have stock exhaust and intake?

White spacer should be .100 to .110 tall and sits on top of the needle.

WWW   IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/27/14 at 16:19:53

As far as I know the jets, exhaust, intake, etc are all stock and untouched.  This bike was donated to a non profit organization.  Was lady owned/driven previously per the title.  It looks as if nothing has been touched.  

If I do not have any fuel in the vac line, is it safe to say that the petcock is not the issue?

Also, is there any suggested places to buy the new parts?  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 07/27/14 at 16:36:28

No, you cannot say you don't have a bad stock vac petcock.

From what you describe, you likely HAVE a bad stock vac petcock.

Before you waste your time and money chasing everything else under the sun, pay the $26 and get a Raptor petcock and put it on the bike.

After you have been running the Raptor for a week, the remaining few symptoms can be chased with some assurance -- BUT UNTIL YOU GET A RAPTOR you may be chasing butterflies and neither you nor we will be able to separate reality from butterflies when you go doing it.

Key point -- gas in the air box.

Comes from a bad vac petcock or a stuck float valve (but you took your bowl apart, right?   Float and valve were operating correctly)

What remains is a bad stock vac petcock .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/27/14 at 16:39:00

I thought the test of pulling the vac line off and capping both the carb and line itself tested the petcock?  I have no trace of fuel in the vac line and was under the impression that a back petcock would have had fuel in the vacuum line?

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #6 - 07/27/14 at 17:16:10

94camroz28 wrote on 07/27/14 at 16:39:00:
I thought the test of pulling the vac line off and capping both the carb and line itself tested the petcock?  I have no trace of fuel in the vac line and was under the impression that a back petcock would have had fuel in the vacuum line?

I think you're right. The float/needle valve doesn't seem to be shutting off the fuel supply when the bowl is full. But then, changing to a Raptor 660 petcock still might be a good idea.

I'm thinking since it ran OK for a little while after you cleaned the carburetor, it may be dirty again. Might be small bits of rust & trash in the tank. Drain some gas into a clean jar and see if it looks clean. Might  be time to add an inline gas filter.

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/27/14 at 17:18:27

Actually it runs ok until it starts flooding itself out.  If I drain fuel from the tank it looks and smells like fresh fuel with no signs of debris.  I think I am just going to order a new needle valve/seat.  Im finding OEM parts for $55  Shocked  Might have to try to track down a cheaper option, really don't wanna drop that much cash for such a little piece.

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #8 - 07/27/14 at 17:41:11

I hope that does it for you. I can't even imagine a way for oil to get into the air box. But then, I've never had mine apart.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 07/28/14 at 03:47:55

Oil in the airbox comes from the huff tube. The big hose from the head that connects to the airbox.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #10 - 07/28/14 at 06:15:50

Have you changed the fuel line from the carb to the petcock? The new fuels eat away at rubber hoses and "could" be sending little pieces to get into the needle and seat.  If you haven't swapped over to a raptor petcock, the major advantage I found, second to a trouble free bike, is that the tank comes off so much easier. With the old petcock, not sure if it was stock or not, I had to drain the tank and remove the petcock.  With the raptor. As long as it's turned off, the tank comes off as if it wasn't there.

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/28/14 at 06:23:16

Well I wont have a chance to work on the bike again for a while yet.  I went ahead and ordered a Raptor petcock.  Even if that isn't the problem, I figure it prevents a future problem.  I also ordered a new needle valve and seat.  I'll update this thread hopefully at the end of the week with good news.

Aaron

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #12 - 07/28/14 at 06:48:19

Wishing you the best.

I'm always curious, what state are you in?

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/28/14 at 07:25:13

I live near Green Bay, WI

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #14 - 07/28/14 at 11:42:29

Yeah those petcocks are problems Smiley I was riding few days ago and suddenly the bike start to act strange. I did drive home on prime. Next day I removed the fuel line so I could remove the petcock. Did only drain 10cc gas Sad
I had drive with empty tank Smiley
So the factory petcock from 1993 is still working just fine.

14365412   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:59:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm stumped!  Carb or Petcock, or both?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.