hard tail seat/ specs (Read 142 times)
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
hard tail seat/ specs
07/24/14 at 13:52:43

New to the site. Not sure if this has been gone over before but havent seen it on here yet. Im thinking about getting some plus six forward controls made hopefully by a member on here. Im also thinking about hard tailing my 98 savage with a voodoo vintage hard tail. If i do, how much farther can i put a seat back to get more leg room? Im far too tall for the bike but i love it. Looking into stretching her out to be able to ride her more comfortable. I know it says it stretches the frame 4 inches and 3.25 lower but how much of that can be used to make the seat farther way? Any insite would be great on that. Also what would be a good seat for my application? Thanks!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: hard tail seat/ specs
Reply #1 - 07/24/14 at 14:51:12

You want to be 4" lower and have no rear suspension, for comfort?...
...because all you need to be comfortable is have your legs straight out?...
No muffler for safety reasons... of course... Grin...

It's okay to tell the truth, and say... "I want a very uncomfortable but cool looking chopper"...
We have a bunch of them here...  and lots of members with tips and tricks to make a chop...  
Look above in the "Builds" sticky post... There'll be some ideas up there...

...but, they ain't comfortable... they don't handle better,... and they ain't safer...
That's the price you pay for "cool"...

...Now, I'm gonna' get slammed for tellin' the truth...
Better put on my full ATGATT...
Grin...
Grin...
BTW... welcome to the site... we kid a lot here,.. but you can get lots of help and advice for any kind of build you want to do...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 07/24/14 at 18:12:04

Ok 'Bot consider yourself slammed. Tongue I do think it makes you a better rider though.Makes you a lot more aware of the road.I learned on a rigid,so that's what I ride.If it has suspension cool if not that's cool too.My Harley has suspension,that I'm building. Cool

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #3 - 07/24/14 at 20:48:36

I do enjoy the look of a hard tail but I am really hoping if i do hard tail it i would be able to back up the seat some to give myself a little more leg room. Is this plausible? I dont plan on using this bike for long rides. Its going to be more of a bar hopper slash in town ride. We all know how that goes though.. Can i get more leg room doing this or is custom made 6 inch forward controls really my only savior. All joking around is a plus in my book haha..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/24/14 at 23:55:45

I'm not for or against the hardtail, lowered, chopper/bob look...

I just want to make it clear, that this is not a comfort modification...

I'm not against choppers...

Just don't tell me, you're eating fried chicken for your health... Grin...

I like fried chicken...
I don't eat it for my health...
I like it, 'cause I like it.... Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 07/25/14 at 00:08:03

Frame stretch needs to be AT BARE MINIMUM 8 inches total, four in the rear, four in the backbone (6-10 preferred) so a real fuel tank will fit. Real means 4.75 gallon or larger Paughco Mustang or similar. Frame also need a full length round backbone, not just a scarfed in tube.

Riding a rigid will force you to ride smarter. You won't feel the rear end break loose until it is too late to correct. It is a much more stable platform, but unless you run a springer or girder front end, you can't take full advantage of it. The brake dive of a hydraulic front end is going to unload the rear of your bike... The stock brakes are well below inadequate for a full suspension bike, they are 100x worse with struts, so a real rigid conversion is going to need some extra work.

As for the seat, K model or larger police spec Harley solo and riding mower springs. Those little Dixie Leather or related pieces of junk are too small for my riding buddy's 18 year old size 6 daughter... Peruse J&P Cycle's online vintage catalog for real seats or preferably get your seat pan and hardware from Fab Kevin (google him). Anything else is junk.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #6 - 07/25/14 at 03:23:42

Do they make an 8 inch weld on kit? All the hard tails ive found are only up to 4 inch so they say and even then ive found my options limited. No one has really answered my question so im assuming my thought is correct that if you stretch the bike any length it should give you that much more area to move the seat back some. Thanks for the replys.

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #7 - 07/25/14 at 10:54:19

Also I guess I should have rephrased my question. I know its going to be a stiff ride and not be comfortable per say. Im not doing it for comfort, but more so for leg stretch room and looks.

IP Logged
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/25/14 at 16:04:00

Hey man I'm currently building a hardtail savage bobber, with a Springer seat. I will pull a measurement on it tomorrow and give you an idea of where it is going to end up. If your looking for a longer stretch contact voodoo vintage and see if they will stretch one for you. They are super cool and have great customer service

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #9 - 07/26/14 at 11:22:26

Hey thanks man! let know what you come up with.

IP Logged
blueknight
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/26/14 at 17:20:05

so here is what I came up with.
from the neck to the front of the seat.

as you can see in this pic the seat still needs to move back about two inch's to site properly on the springs

here is an estimate from the foot peg to the seat

the only issue you may run into is the fact that the seat height gets lower the further you move it back which in turn will bring your knees up. so if you go with a 6"-8" strech it could end up making it more uncomfortable. more so then a ridged already is  Wink

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #11 - 07/27/14 at 04:41:36

Awesome post. this will give me an idea of what i can do for sure. Hopefully this will help someone else too. I already have contacted Voodoo vintage. New hard tail, chain drive, seat, ect will be purchased in the near future. Im over 6 ft tall so this is like gold to me haha. Hoping i get a reply on some 6 inch forward controls now from the forums market place.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:26:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hard tail seat/ specs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.