Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie Question - Helmet, Accesories and more (Read 179 times)
Ram
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbie Question - Helmet, Accesories and more
07/20/14 at 17:54:42

a newbie here ... bought S40 2 months back .. and been trying it out on the interior roads ...

I have couple of questions that I would need help understanding from the experts here Smiley

1. Helmet - Could you suggest a good helmet with less wind noise. I am currently using a bilt. It is not bad, but I would like to reduce it further. I bought a BT helmet from Cycle gear, but the wind noise on that gave me bad headache (and it has been returned). Any suggestion for a good BT helmet welcome too

2. Windshield: I fit the original suzuki windshield. But that caused too much wind buffeting and moved my helmet a lot (along with more wind noise). I assumed it was because of the height. any recommendation for a taller windshield ?

3. I am in CA .. and in the bay area. I would like to take my motor cycle on the freeway, but apparently everyone on the road wants to drive faster. Is it okay if I drive around 55-60mph ? (this is the speed that S40 seems to be comfortable with).

4. I would like to shop/travel with the bike, and would like to have suggestions for a good saddle bag/mounting kits.

5. Why is it very difficult to get it to first gear .. It is too difficult sometimes (and makes noise) that I am worried I am going to break it ...

6. is there a way to lock the helmet to the bike ?  

It is a new 2013 model, and I have done around 400 miles on it tlll now.

IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Re: Newbie Question - Helmet, Accesories and more
Reply #1 - 07/20/14 at 18:20:35

Helmet: I use an Icon Airframe.  I only use Snell rated helmets, due to the higher standards of the Snell rating compared to DOT.

Winshield: I've heard good things about these: https://www.denniskirk.com/national-cycle/9-in-flyscreen-windshield.p234106.p...

My wife's 95 Savage (same thing as your bike, just older), will handle 80 without much more effort than 60.

Haven't found any saddle bags that Mrs. Jman likes yet.

You can reposition the shifter if you're having problems with range of motion on your foot, but if it's shortly after starting, what I would recommend is after the bike's running, but before you shift it, release the clutch completely to unbind the gears in the transmission, then pull it in and shift normally.

I don't know about your bike, but older ones have a helmet lock on the right side of the rear fender.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/20/14 at 18:38:59

if you need an owners manual... it's in the tech section.

should tell you about the helmet lock.

what oil are you using?

otherwise, maybe you need to adjust your clutch.

WWW   IP Logged
Ram
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/20/14 at 19:27:10

Thanks verslagen1.

The bike is new. I am not sure what oil they used. I will check with them at my first service.

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #4 - 07/20/14 at 19:52:01

I went with the Viking hard bags  http://www.vikingbags.com/suzuki-boulevard-s40-vikingcycle-shock-cutout-warri...

This of course made the stock helmet lock un-usable.  Perhaps not the best lock but I bought this one to secure the helmet to the sissy bar.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLPS29E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=...

I also put this windshield on  http://www.amazon.com/Slipstreamer-SS10-Viper-Windshield-SS-10-C-1/dp/B000GV8...  and find it will vibrate the helmet over 50 unless I have the face shield slightly down or all the way down.

Savage_1_Standard_e-mail_view.jpg
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 07/20/14 at 20:11:26

1. ... less wind noise....
Have a box of 80 pairs of 3M ear plugs from Lowes.
Or you can do what I do -- just turn your hearing aids off.

3. I am in CA ...  Is it okay if I drive around 55-60mph....
I ride the freeways in Los Angeles at 60-65 mph, in the right lanes, until the traffic slows.  When it slows to under 20 mph I start splitting lanes.  The LS650 is just happy 70-75 mph.  At 85mph on the 110 my eyes were vibrating, but Sluggo said that it was the bad pavement.  When I was riding "frisky" I would merge onto the freeway at 70 mph in third gear, fourth and fifth is just for cruising.  

4. ... good saddle bag/mounting kits.
I loved my Leatherlyke saddlebags.  Eight years/30,000 miles and still looked good.  Hard, lockable, and dismount/remount in about 5 seconds.

6. is there a way to lock the helmet to the bike ?  
Half Helmet fits in the saddlebag.  For 3/4 or full you need a tail box.  Or take it with you.  In L.A. the vandals cut helmet straps and toss the helmet in the trash.

I will forever miss that big single with the traffic signal goes green.

WWW   IP Logged
Ram
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/20/14 at 23:16:12

Seaweednh wrote on 07/20/14 at 19:52:01:
This of course made the stock helmet lock un-usable.  Perhaps not the best lock but I bought this one to secure the helmet to the sissy bar.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLPS29E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=...

Is there a stock helmet lock that comes with S40 ? I am not able to find one (though there seems to be pictures of some sort of lock shown with the picture of the saddlebag support
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_29083.jpg

I found it ! nice !

« Last Edit: 07/21/14 at 00:27:27 by Ram »  
  IP Logged
Ram
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/20/14 at 23:38:23

And for mounting the saddle bags (I like the Vikings .. is $199 for two bags or just one ?), do I need to get the mounting kit ?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 07/21/14 at 00:14:30

1. Helmet - Go to any Harley Davidson, Triumph or BMW dealership. Or your local police supply house. Get a proper motor officer spec helmet, available in many colors, in 1/2 shell, full face or modular.

2. Windshield: Depends on your height. Sit on the bike, normal riding position. Have someone hold a yardstick straight out from your nose. Measure the distance from the stick to the top of the headlight shell, subtract 1 inch.

3. I am in CA ... my condolences.

4. I would like to shop/travel with the bike, and would like to have suggestions for a good saddle bag/mounting kits. Unless you relocate the rear turn signals, forget it.

5. Why is it very difficult to get it to first gear .. It is too difficult sometimes (and makes noise) that I am worried I am going to break it ... Double clutch it. Just like any other old fashioned non-synchronized transmission, or a modern big rig.

6. is there a way to lock the helmet to the bike ?  Carry it in with you.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Ram
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/21/14 at 00:17:22

Aha ! found the lock ! it looks like S40 does come with cute little lock and it opens with the ignition key (and why is the ignition key located on the side .. would have been better if it were on near the handlebar)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 07/21/14 at 00:24:25

Ram wrote on 07/21/14 at 00:17:22:
Aha ! found the lock ! it looks like S40 does come with cute little lock and it opens with the ignition key (and why is the ignition key located on the side .. would have been better if it were on near the handlebar)

Looks better with it "hidden", can't have the bike looking "too Japanese" since it (like the late great never should have been discontinued XS650) is a knock off of an old British bike.  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 07/21/14 at 04:33:25

WD wrote:

Quote:
5. Why is it very difficult to get it to first gear .. It is too difficult sometimes (and makes noise) that I am worried I am going to break it ... Double clutch it. Just like any other old fashioned non-synchronized transmission, or a modern big rig.

Yup. Or just wait until the bike is almost completely stopped - just barely rolling - before shifting down into first. Mine grinds if I try to get into first any faster. I think that's just a characteristic of most motorcycle transmissions.

Don't buy the bags that Suzuki sells as an accessory for this bike if you expect to carry very much. They will - just barely- fit without relocating the turn signals, and you can still - just barely - access the helmet lock with them on. I've got a set on my bike and they are much too small to be really useful.

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #12 - 07/21/14 at 05:03:16

Ram wrote on 07/20/14 at 23:38:23:
And for mounting the saddle bags (I like the Vikings .. is $199 for two bags or just one ?), do I need to get the mounting kit ?

That price is for the left and right lockable bags.  They give you a mounting kit but my bike already had the brackets.  With this size bags you do have to relocate the rear signal lights.  I bought this kit  http://www.vikingbags.com/universal-chrome-turn-signal-relocation-kit-for-mot...   You will have to modify the stock lights or buy aftermarket ones to fit.  these are the ones I used  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-Black-Chrome-Motorcycle-Turn-Signals-Lights-For-H...  the only thing plastic is the lens

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #13 - 07/21/14 at 14:19:01

I was asked if I used the Suzuki bag mounts in which I did.  The Viking bags are suppose to "tie" at the bottom which I didn't like so I used two "U" bolts on each bag to secure them.

savage_bag_mounts_Standard_e-mail_view.jpg
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 07/21/14 at 15:11:17

Nice.  Thanks for posting that pic.  Did the bags have holes for the ties already or did you have to punch 'em out?

Also, those are the perfect size bags for our bike! Cool

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:23:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie Question - Helmet, Accesories and more

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.