top end rebuild (Read 485 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: top end rebuild
Reply #15 - 07/21/14 at 09:16:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/21/14 at 08:50:16:
Jsud04 wrote on 07/21/14 at 06:57:32:
That bolt is running through the oil supply line for the cam. So all the oil spurts out...its really an issue that needs an insert to fix. Also that corner of the valve cover will not seal, so its leaking a far amount as well...

Aahaa,well,that is a horse of a different color..  Yeah,you're gonna n to deal with that.

But would you hit the rings too, or stop with the head?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/21/14 at 13:25:05

I'd go no further than absolutely necessary. If it will fix with the head on and you have no real,diagnosed problem below,I'd leave it on. IF it Has to come off,turn it upside down,dump gas in and see if it leaks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/21/14 at 13:36:42

Or if you want to take the 'Tim the Tool Man" approach....this is the perfect opportunity to bore and apply a silicone carbide treatment to the cylinder so you can install a 95mm Wiseco piston...and.....install a stronger cam grind.

You can turn the cylinder thread repair into a $ 800 project....what an opportunity! Grin  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 07/21/14 at 14:37:52

Dave wrote on 07/21/14 at 13:36:42:
Or if you want to take the 'Tim the Tool Man" approach....this is the perfect opportunity to bore and apply a silicone carbide treatment to the cylinder so you can install a 95mm Wiseco piston...and.....install a stronger cam grind.

You can turn the cylinder thread repair into a $ 800 project....what an opportunity! Grin  

Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  

psst ... let's don't leave out the new performance carburetor ... carb-cam-jug ... a 3 strand cord kind of thing you know   Wink

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/21/14 at 16:43:13

Ehhhhhh...I don't control the money and wifey ain't looking cool with all that...

I got the motor out. Am I in any danger if I let it sit for a few weeks like that without the mounting bolts clamping it tight...I know they tend to weep a little oil in that state, though I emptied that out.

It was a bugger to get out by the by...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #20 - 07/21/14 at 18:03:10

Jsud04 wrote on 07/21/14 at 16:43:13:
Ehhhhhh...I don't control the money and wifey ain't looking cool with all that...

I got the motor out. Am I in any danger if I let it sit for a few weeks like that without the mounting bolts clamping it tight...I know they tend to weep a little oil in that state, though I emptied that out.

It was a bugger to get out by the by...

Set it on one of wife's cookie sheets so you don't make a mess of your work bench Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 07/21/14 at 19:00:39

Just for peace of mind.....put a bolt or threaded rod through the bottom front mount, and snug it up.  For some reason that spots likes to leak - but seems to stop once the engine mount bolts are back in place and tightened.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #22 - 07/21/14 at 19:11:29

Have you given any thought to running it through the dishwasher while you have it out? Probably be easier to work on if it's clean  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/23/14 at 16:17:41

Engine pulled from frame
Head cover removed
Cam shaft removed
Stator cover removed.
Clutch cover removed
Clutch basket removed
Driven and drive gears removed
Cam chain removed...

Question. When removing the cam shaft I slipped and very very small and lightly scratched the outside end of the cam shaft infront of the cam gear...can't really feel it and it is on the very ouside edge maybe 1mm...will this be an issue?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 07/23/14 at 22:31:12

Jsud04 wrote on 07/23/14 at 16:17:41:
Engine pulled from frame
Head cover removed
Cam shaft removed
Stator cover removed.
Clutch cover removed
Clutch basket removed
Driven and drive gears removed
Cam chain removed...

Question. When removing the cam shaft I slipped and very very small and lightly scratched the outside end of the cam shaft infront of the cam gear...can't really feel it and it is on the very ouside edge maybe 1mm...will this be an issue?

That will not be an issue if it is as you describe.

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 07/24/14 at 04:56:27

I'll post a photo of that later. Thanks lancer. Also what of any worry should I have about the jug and gasket being disturbed when I take the whole lot to the shop for inserts in the stripped bolt holes? I am not planning of doing rings unless its a must.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 07/24/14 at 05:57:40

Snug the jug to the case for transportation.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/24/14 at 08:09:26

Cool! And any tricks to getting my timing lined back up?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 07/24/14 at 08:41:19

Jsud04 wrote on 07/24/14 at 04:56:27:
I'll post a photo of that later. Thanks lancer. Also what of any worry should I have about the jug and gasket being disturbed when I take the whole lot to the shop for inserts in the stripped bolt holes? I am not planning of doing rings unless its a must.

Do the smart thing and get new rings and hone the cylinder.  It is only about $20-25 for the rings and a little for the hone work.  It is worth it.  One time I did not do it and when it fired back up the first time it smoked out an area big enough for a Battalion of Marines to sneak by without notice.  I got to tear it apart again and redo it the right way as my reward for that short-cut.
You can ask Verslagen, he was there with me for the smoke-fest.

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 07/24/14 at 08:43:33

OK I'm sold. But...I Donno how to hone. Can I drop the jug at a shop?
And should I replace the valves at 20000 miles or just do the seals

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:27:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › top end rebuild

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.