Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
solution to fuse blown / short / engine shut off (Read 28 times)
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

solution to fuse blown / short / engine shut off
07/19/14 at 09:19:02

No question here, just posting a solution for future forum searchers in case someone has the same problem.

I had an issue where I kept blowing fuses. The engine would often cut off while mounting the bike. Could not get the problem to occur while the seat was off after replacing the fuse. Problem went away for a couple of months, then re-occured one day shortly after I had removed the seat and put it back on.

It turns out the previous owner had replaced the factory screw at the tail of the seat with some other screw. I think it's longer than the factory, because it seems to be coming into contact with the wires under the rear wheelwell and causing a short (but only when it was screwed absolutely all the way down).

A PITA to find since unless the screw was turned absolutely 100% all the way and I was sitting on it, it would not occur. My fat behind was the extra pressure needed to push the short into place. But only sometimes. Probably days where I said yes when they asked if I wanted fries with that.

Figured out the problem by screwing the screw in with the seat removed, so that it goes in even further, could make it short out every time.

Symptoms for google searchers:

blown fuse
bike shuts off when sit down
can't find electrical short
suzuki savage s40 boulevard

Haven't fixed yet, but possible solutions seem obvious, get a shorter screw and/or insulate the wires down there with electrical tape and/or put in spacers so it doesn't screw down as far, etc...

IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Re: solution to fuse blown / short / engine shut o
Reply #1 - 07/19/14 at 09:33:15

The correct fix would be to cut the short-ed wire, put a piece of shrink tube on it, solder it, shrink tube the joint, then get the correct length bolt for the seat.

IP Logged
OdysseusNY
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: solution to fuse blown / short / engine shut o
Reply #2 - 07/19/14 at 09:39:32

Agreed and thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:29:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › solution to fuse blown / short / engine shut off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.