Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
multiple question post for 2003 savage (Read 147 times)
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

multiple question post for 2003 savage
07/18/14 at 20:45:56

to make this easy I'm just going to ask multiple questions in one post. Recently my savage started losing power when accelerating it seems to be just happening going up inclines and only seems to happen in 4th and 5th gear I can tell the bike rpms are not changing just seems to lose power to the wheel for a moment than goes back to normal running. could this be the clutch slipping?
2nd question
Is their a kit to change the horn maybe electric air horn? had a couple of close calls these last few days and a louder horn could have prevented one

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: multiple question post for 2003 savage
Reply #1 - 07/18/14 at 21:45:39

First thing to check,.. is here...
...http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1...

Second,.. you can put on a louder horn... (and it's not entirely a bad idea)...,...
...but,... if you have time to beep your horn, there are other more important things to be doing with that time...

I only use my horn, to remind people that the light has changed, etc...
In an emergency, I got better things to do....
Beeping, ain't gonna' save your life...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/19/14 at 05:13:01

If the petcock test doesn't show a problem or solution....it could be a sticky carb slide.  Clean as necessary....some suggest using Sea Foam, but I am not sure how well that works.

I use my horn to (Beep, Beep) and wave at the neighbors......with all the air conditioners, stereos, cell phones, Blue Tooth, etc....most folks won't ever hear a horn when they are in their car.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #3 - 07/19/14 at 07:26:33

T.Claiborne13 wrote on 07/18/14 at 20:45:56:
to make this easy I'm just going to ask multiple questions in one post. Recently my savage started losing power when accelerating it seems to be just happening going up inclines and only seems to happen in 4th and 5th gear I can tell the bike rpms are not changing just seems to lose power to the wheel for a moment than goes back to normal running. could this be the clutch slipping?

From my limited experience I've always had and increase of RPM with no increase in speed. It could be the clutch slipping in your case, I guess. How many miles on the bike and what kind of oil do you use?

IP Logged
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/20/14 at 19:45:32

bike info- it has 15,500 on it
oil used mobil1 racing 4T

IP Logged
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/20/14 at 20:02:08

the reason for the horn question I was driving down a highway and while passing some vans a driver in a left turn lane decide they didn't want to turn anymore so they started to come back over in the passing lane (the lane I was in) I knew the jackass was going to try to come back over so I laid on my horn lucky the van driver beside me also seen this slowed down and laid on his horn I kept my horn going and couldn't hear mine at all while the guy in the van was blowing his. the idiot stopped half way between the turn land and passing lane. I also use my horn to let other driver when I am passing especially in my morning commute before the sun rises

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 07/20/14 at 20:51:20

A lean carb will cause the engine to do as you've described. I doubt that's your problem, but better to knock out a few simple things first. How is your carb jetted?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 07/21/14 at 04:52:49

Increase in RPM without increase in speed is clutch slipping. The engine should be firmly connected to the rear wheel when the clutch is completely released. When you throttle up, the engine should speed up as the bike does.  If it speeds up quickly with no speed increase for the bike or it speeds up quickly and then the bike catches up to it, you have a slipping clutch.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 07/21/14 at 12:44:49

I agree completely.  I was just saying the bucking associated with a lean carb can be confused as a slipping clutch if someone doesn't understand the difference.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/21/14 at 16:21:59

the carb is stock but I did recently take the plug out and just turned it about a full of a turn rich  I was kinda hoping that it may be the belt slipping when full throttle was applied but the belt looks in good condition to me but this is my first bike. I'll recheck everything simple just to make sure but if it turns out to be the clutch how long do I have till it complete tears something up? How hard would be to replace the clutch with no motorcycle specific equipment? It only happens maybe once mainly in the morning if it does slip
Thank you for the help

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 07/21/14 at 18:41:05

I agree about the bucking.  Only time I've ever seen mine buck has been if it was being lugged.  A quick gear change solved that.

My clutch only slips in high gear and then only if I get on it hard.  If I just roll on, it doesn't slip.

As long as it's occasionally happening, I don't know that I would go through the trouble and expense unless it really bothers you. As far as any special tools, I've never taken my clutch apart so can't answer that.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #11 - 07/21/14 at 19:05:15

It's very unlikely that the belt would slip without showing severe signs of wear.

As for damage from a worn clutch, About the worst that would happen is you would be left stranded on the side of the road. The friction material could cause some wear I guess. Next time you change the oil, rub a little of the used oil between your fingers and see if it feels gritty. You could probably use a clean soda straw to draw a little oil out without waiting on your next oil change. I've never tried it but it sounds like it should work. The first thing you want to do now if you think it's slipping is make sure it's adjusted properly.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/22/14 at 04:44:23

T.Claiborne13 wrote on 07/21/14 at 16:21:59:
It only happens maybe once mainly in the morning if it does slip

It is not all that uncommon for the clutch to slip if the engine and oil are not warmed up.  The oil is thick when cold, and it makes for more oil between the clutch plates......so they don't grab as well.  You should always avoid applying a lot of throttle until the engine is thoroughly warmed up.

The drive belt does not slip.  The belt and pulleys have teeth on them that interlock.  Even a horribly loose belt would have a hard time jumping over the teeth - and there would be a horrible shudder and the shearing off of the rubber teeth on the belt.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #13 - 07/22/14 at 13:28:29

T.Claiborne13 wrote on 07/18/14 at 20:45:56:
Is their a kit to change the horn maybe electric air horn? had a couple of close calls these last few days and a louder horn could have prevented one

http://screaming-banshee.com/

Allows both the Toot-Toot and a 130+ decibel blast.

Bob
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:30:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › multiple question post for 2003 savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.