Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modern HAM radio rules and tests (Read 61 times)
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Modern HAM radio rules and tests
07/18/14 at 12:31:29

I always had a lingering notion of becoming a HAM radio operator.  I remember in the old days when you had to learn Morse code even for the most beginner license, and therefore, I never pursued it.  As a pilot, we were supposed to know code to be able to identify radio navigational aids, but you could cheat because they put the code right beside the little symbol on the aerial navigation charts.  So I cheated.
Also, my wife would never tolerate a big outdoor antenna, once twenty years ago when I was a group commander in the CAP, there was talk of establishing a radio net with command level officers having a net radio in their homes for call-ups in the middle of the night - she put the squash on that too, as the outdoor rig would have been about 20' tall.  CAP never established the net, so that argument was avoided.
What is involved with getting a HAM license now that enables one to talk ( not code ) with people around the country, if not internationally?
What's the rough estimate of the cost of decent equipment to do this?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: Modern HAM radio rules and tests
Reply #1 - 07/18/14 at 13:35:58

I recently got my license. I wasn't going to since my reasons for having a radio were for SHTF scenarios and I will probably never talk on it. That is why I have a telephone.

Anyway, I attended a 2 day class that included the test at the end. It was free (the test costs a few bucks) and I suggest finding one if possible. My license doesn't allow me to use all available frequencies, but I can use the popular ones.

There are a couple of WANRs out there that allow you to talk to people from all over. Here is a link of a local one for me: http://www.wanrepeater.net/ . I know there are many wide area repeaters out there. Some use a regular repeater system, others use the internet. An internet search including your area should have relevant results.

I bought a handheld Chinese unit. I replaced the rubber duck antenna with a better one and it works well. If you are looking for a cheap entry, I suggest going that route. I purchased all my stuff from nicheone on eBay. Good company to deal with.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/18/14 at 14:08:36

Geeze,what a shame.. Can't have a danged radio because someone can't tolerate an antenna...  My wife Never gave me grief when I built a 60tall one and that sat less than ten feet from the house.AAAND We lived in
a little neighborhood in Midland,you could see it for,well,till it was so far away it was just too far away..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #3 - 07/18/14 at 15:31:02

I joined a local club who held Saturday classes for free and paid a small fee for the exam. Got the Chi-com radio for $35 and did the antenna swich as above. When I get some free time I am going for the General exam next.

What is fun is the field days they have a couple times a year where the clubs go to a park and hoist the big meter antennas and make contacts all around the globe. It's a public relations kind of thing.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #4 - 07/18/14 at 22:35:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/18/14 at 14:08:36:
[...]someone can't tolerate an antenna[...]

We took care of that in Ohio.

Ohio’s New Amateur Radio Antenna Law
Both existing federal law and newly-enacted Ohio law define the rights of Ohio radio amateurs to erect and maintain antennas.
http://arrl-ohio.org/prb-1.html

Federal Law is on your side too.      

47 CFR 97.15 - Station antenna structures: Except as otherwise provided herein, a station antenna structure may be erected at heights and dimensions sufficient to accommodate amateur service communications.
www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/97.15

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #5 - 07/19/14 at 16:52:36

Whiskey niner papa papa kilo here. Great hobby, I got my ticket back in 1998. I'm not all that active anymore, though.

Not sure when I received my pilots license. I remember the first time I took my girlfriend flying, we hit a coyote coming it to land. Knocked the right landing wheel loose so it was pointed at a 45 degree angle. The plane just sort of drifted off the runway and stopped in the grass. Great memories.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #6 - 07/21/14 at 17:24:17

BalingWire wrote on 07/18/14 at 22:35:26:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/18/14 at 14:08:36:
[...]someone can't tolerate an antenna[...]

We took care of that in Ohio.

Ohio’s New Amateur Radio Antenna Law
Both existing federal law and newly-enacted Ohio law define the rights of Ohio radio amateurs to erect and maintain antennas.
http://arrl-ohio.org/prb-1.html

Federal Law is on your side too.      

47 CFR 97.15 - Station antenna structures: Except as otherwise provided herein, a station antenna structure may be erected at heights and dimensions sufficient to accommodate amateur service communications.
www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/97.15

Marriage Law
1.1.1 - Happy Wife, Happy Life.
1.1.1.1 - Supercedes and nullifies all other conflicting laws.

Grin

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #7 - 07/21/14 at 17:43:25

[/quote]
Marriage Law
1.1.1 - Happy Wife, Happy Life.
1.1.1.1 - Supercedes and nullifies all other conflicting laws.

Grin [/quote]

Indeed!  

That reminds me of a friend who was having a bit of trouble and was going to a marriage counselor, who advised, "You can be right, or you can be happy."

He chose being happy over being right, and is still married and has a happy life.  Wink

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:22:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Modern HAM radio rules and tests

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.