Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I need carburetor help on '07 S40 (Read 198 times)
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I need carburetor help on '07 S40
07/18/14 at 11:46:14

Hello all, I recently picked up an '07 Boulevard with just under 1600 miles on it, perfect condition. Its a project bike as the carb needed to be cleaned/rebuilt, so I was told. It had old gas and started hard, but would chug a bit, then idled nicely a while, and then idled down to the point of shutting off.

Yesterday I drained the old gas, pulled the carb out, cleaned the main jet, the small valve/jet? that was clogged, and also the needle seat valve. Put it all back together and now it started hard again, and needed full throttle to stay running. It smoked out my garage in the 20 seconds it ran. Almost as if the choke was on the whole time.

Putting the carb back on the bike I am now not sure if I have the 4 lines connected to it on in the right spots? That or I missed something when cleaning the inside of the carb. Does anyone have an up close picture of both sides of the carb installed so I can see that I have my fuel/breather lines ran correctly? Also does anyone have any ideas as to what to check with the carb assuming I pull it back apart again?

Thanks!
Aaron

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: I need carburetor help on '07 S40
Reply #1 - 07/18/14 at 12:06:39

WWW   IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/18/14 at 14:23:52

Thanks for the link....according to the images there, I have everything attached properly.  I guess I'll just have to pull it all apart again and go through it all again.  I never did open the top cap of the carb as I didn't realize there were more jets up there.

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/18/14 at 14:40:25

I just went out and tried to start it again.  It fired right up, but seemed to idle a little low.  Thinking it was just flooded last night I raised the idle a little and it idled great for about 20 sec.  Then it started to chug again and eventually needed almost full throttle to stay going.  It was also dripping a little fuel out from under the engine?  Shocked

If I pull the plug from the drain hose that is at the bottom of the engine, quite a bit of nasty looking fuel comes out.  It almost seems as if I'm still having carb issues, along with old gas still in the tank (thought I had it all out).

Also, as soon as I try to put it into gear, the bike shuts off, almost like a safety switch?  I'll dig more into that I guess once I get it running right.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/18/14 at 14:46:55

Yup, there are safeties.
kickstand can't be down when in gear.

sounds like you either have a bad float valve or your float is stuck.

keep an eye on your oil level, cause if it don't go in the airbox, it goes in the crankcase... and that ain't good.

WWW   IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/18/14 at 14:50:14

Thanks for the quick reply, I did have the kickstand down!  I'll check again later if it'll fire, I just need to get the bad gas out of there I think.

Likely I'll pull the carb all apart again too.

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/18/14 at 16:24:38

I just read through the manual and realized I was making a newb mistake.  I had the fuel on the PRI selector, explain my flooding issue.  I was able to get it started again on the ON position, but like before, I had to keep raising the idle.  Giving it gas it stayed running, but without it would idle down and want to cut out.  I could raise the idle, however shortly later it would idle down yet again.  I guess i'll just need to pull the carb and give it a once over again.

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/18/14 at 20:20:05

Petcock can be operated in "PRI" prime position  or "on" position. It doesn't matter which position as long as the carburetor gets fuel. Prime position works like a normal petcock would that doesn't need vacuum assist. These bikes will run just as well in the prime position as they will in the on position. Is it possible for a small amount of fuel to come out of one of the float bowl vent hoses if the bike is leaned way over on the kickstand and in prime position......maybe......but if you just stand the bike up level it should be fine in prime position.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 07/19/14 at 00:02:22

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/19/14 at 04:48:10

It sounds like a failed petcock issue to me as well.  Additional fuel and air may be getting into the carb through the vacuum line....which is not supposed to flow fuel or air.

Disconnect the vacuum line from the carb....there should not be any fuel in that line.  Plug the carb fitting, plug the vacuum hose, set the petcock on prime....then see if it runs properly.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/19/14 at 07:24:17

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I tried again this morning and it fired up after cranking a little bit.  I took it for a short ride and it ran fine again for about 1 min, then started to bog down.  I got it started again, made it about 100 yards and then nothing.  It left a drip of fuel about every 2 feet on my way pushing it back to my driveway.

Whats odd is the fuel has a dark brown look, like really old gas.  However it has a slight oily feel to it, and left faded looking drip marks on my concrete driveway.  Is it so flooded its mixing into the cylinder and dripping out with an oil residue mixed in?  

I feel like I got most or all of the bad gas out of the tank before adding a gallon of new gas, also if I drain the carb bowl, clean new fuel comes out there.  After driving it a little or running it a little the black drain tube under the bike is always full of this oily residue.

I'll check into the fuel petcock, along with I plan to pull the carb again, hopefully tonight.

Thanks again
Aaron

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 07/19/14 at 08:20:57

Check your oil level!  
Drain your overflow tube (sticks out at bottom, as a cap on it)
Open your air filter box and see if it is full of fuel.

If your oil level is filling up the window, open the cap on it and smell, if it smells like gas.... there is gas in it, drain it all, change your filter....and before you run it again do the petc0ck check in the tech section.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/19/14 at 08:50:56

If you can run gas outta the tank and into a clear glass catch and it looks wrong,then drain it, pull the tank,put a slosh in and shake,rinse and repeat till it's right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/19/14 at 17:57:54

I was gone for the day but decided to try pulling the vacuum tube from the carb.  I didn't have any caps so for a test run I taped solidly over both openings.  There wasn't any fuel that came out of the tube.

The bike started about the same and seemed to run about the same.  Again, I made it about a minute before it started to chug and then bogged down to the point that it wouldn't run.  Again, just like before I was leaving a drip of oily fuel every two feet.  I would say the total run time again was about a minute or two.  I pulled the cap off the bottom drain tube and a LOT of oily fuel came running out again.  

Is it possible its still a petcock issue or do I simply have a full blown carb/float issue?

Aaron

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 07/19/14 at 18:43:43

Have you actually Looked at the fuel that comes from the tank?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:25:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I need carburetor help on '07 S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.