Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2-way radios for motorcycling? (Read 114 times)
jman

Central Wisconsin
2-way radios for motorcycling?
07/18/14 at 06:59:17

My wife and I like riding together, but on our own bikes.  She's a very novice rider, though, and I would like the ability to talk to her while she's riding.

I'm looking for a good set of 2-way radios that we can use on the bikes.  Anyone have any recommendations?

They have to be small enough to fit in a riding jacket pocket, and they have to have a head set small enough to fit in a full-face helmet.  A remote PTT button would be nice, as I've not had good experiences with VOX.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2-way radios for motorcycling?
Reply #1 - 07/18/14 at 07:21:54

I have been trying to decide what kind of radios to buy so that my wife and I can talk while on the same bike.  I finally believe the price and features made them affordable and easy to operate, and I just bought some Sena SMH10 helmet radios.  A pair of them are right around $ 280 from online retailers.

They install easily in a helmet - provided that they are new enough to have space at the ears for the speakers.   The unit clamps on the side of the helmet and in takes 15 minutes to install them the first time you do it, only 5 minutes after you have done it once.  They are very easy to program, sound good, and they have Bluetooth ability and can connect with your I-phone easily.  It is really nice to use your I-phone for GPS navigation and have the instructions come right into your helmet.

So far the only negative I found is that when first turned on the unit connects to my phone, and as such I can run the GPS program and get instructions from my phone over the intercom - but if my wife hits the intercom button the phone loses the connection with the GPS program and it cannot be restored....the GPS keeps working but cannot give audio over the headset.  (I suppose if I turned my headset off and back on again it would restore the GPS connection).  The radios are set up so that any incoming phone call, or instructions from a Blue Tooth GPS navigator will over ride the intercom - but not the instructions from my I-phone GPS program.  I might be able to overcome this issue by connecting my phone to the headset with a cable connection.....not sure yet.  If you have a GPS with Bluetooth feature...it will work just fine -but those systems are really expensive.  I can also just get a handlebar mount for my phone....so that I can just get the instructions visually.  I can also receive telephone calls while riding from my I-phone, and the sound quality is excellent and folks have no idea I am riding on a motorcycle while talking to them.

Here is a fellow that has a set for about half price.
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?139146-Sena-radios-for-sale
Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 07/18/14 at 11:11:37

I second the SENA...Great little item!
My wife and I are in the same situation as you. These work great out to about as far as you can see the other person.

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #3 - 07/18/14 at 11:12:10

I recommend seriously considering 2-meter amateur radio.  

With bluetooth, you can easily fit a microphone and speakers in the helmet for easy communication.

And being able to talk with the many other amateurs and a host of 2-meter repeater towers found in the US opens up many other possibilities.

My wife has her Technician license, which took a little bit of evening study for a week.

Motorcycle amateur radio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qW5GugGDjw

Amateur Radio Exam Practice
http://aa9pw.com/radio/

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/18/14 at 11:37:54

Pine wrote on 07/18/14 at 11:11:37:
My wife and I are in the same situation as you. These work great out to about as far as you can see the other person.

I third the Sena SMH10.  I don't use mine for intercom, but love it for bluetooth to my XM radio and phone.
I do know people that use it in small group riding (it handles 4 connections), and it works great for them.

http://www.sena.com/product/product/smh10/

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 07/19/14 at 17:55:51

youzguyz wrote on 07/18/14 at 11:37:54:

I third the Sena SMH10.  I don't use mine for intercom, but love it for bluetooth to my XM radio and phone.
I do know people that use it in small group riding (it handles 4 connections), and it works great for them.

A note about this...

If I am riding alone and want to lister to music ( very rare) I can Bluetooth my phone to the Sena.. and listen to iheart radio.. doing so means that phone calls will super cede the radio and I can take the an when finished go back to radio ... all pretty much hands free.

HOWEVER: SENA will tell you the speaker system is not stereo and is very poor for bass. So the sound is not great. However, the loundess and the overall sound range means you can hear the music though its better for voice..its just not great quality music. I am VERY OK with this .. as when I do listen to the radio its mostly for news and weather.. with music just being a bonus.

Now this also means that my wife with her SENA can place a cell call to MY SENA via my cell phone...and presto!! given good coverage... we have more range than any CB system. However the caller has to use their hands to place call. They do support VOX.. but I did not feel like figuring in out.

For the money .... the size, design, and features of the SENA system seem to beat the others currently. This can change at any moment as soon as someone leapfrogs the others.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/21/14 at 06:30:59

Pine wrote on 07/19/14 at 17:55:51:
youzguyz wrote on 07/18/14 at 11:37:54:

A note about this...

If I am riding alone and want to lister to music ( very rare) I can Bluetooth my phone to the Sena.. and listen to iheart radio.. doing so means that phone calls will super cede the radio and I can take the an when finished go back to radio ... all pretty much hands free.

HOWEVER: SENA will tell you the speaker system is not stereo and is very poor for bass. So the sound is not great. However, the loundess and the overall sound range means you can hear the music though its better for voice..its just not great quality music. I am VERY OK with this .. as when I do listen to the radio its mostly for news and weather.. with music just being a bonus.

Now this also means that my wife with her SENA can place a cell call to MY SENA via my cell phone...and presto!! given good coverage... we have more range than any CB system. However the caller has to use their hands to place call. They do support VOX.. but I did not feel like figuring in out.

For the money .... the size, design, and features of the SENA system seem to beat the others currently. This can change at any moment as soon as someone leapfrogs the others.  

Well.. it IS stereo.  Definitely.
I think the speakers are pretty good (but I am old and my hearing isn't what it was.
However, I bought one of these:
http://www.sena.com/product/accessories/helmet-clamp-kit-for-earbuds-with-att...
Then I wired a 3.5mm plug to the speakers in the helmet.
Now I can do earbuds while out on the back country roads, and switch to the speakers when in town. (So I can hear what is going on around me better).

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 07/22/14 at 05:52:01

Thanks for the links guys.... I just went to sena and found the one I think we will purchase for the wife and me...

http://www.sena.com/product/product/sph10h-fm/

Looks to be quick to add-on and it will cover that empty space on the half-helmet sides with speakers, killing the wind noise a bit to boot.

But it still looks like "push-to-talk" mode will probably be the best, not sure how well the mike will work at speed though...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/22/14 at 07:54:11

be aware when in CA, you're only allowed to have a speaker in 1 ear while, riding or driving.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/22/14 at 08:10:31

I just yell... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 07/22/14 at 08:16:02

Make sure your helmet is relieved for ear devices.

I wore Dave's set up during the last trip and I had no cut out for it -- it ate my ear up after a half hour or so.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:15:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2-way radios for motorcycling?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.