Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Browser wars on Mint Linux (Read 88 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Browser wars on Mint Linux
07/18/14 at 04:38:41

A number of us are running Linux Mint Mate as we jumped ship into dual boot land when XP died on us.    We were seeking to keep on keeping on, and by and large we have succeeded.

A topic of comparison at that time was the two main browsers, Chrome and Firefox.   Both are currently used by me, with Firefox leading as "most used" and also leading as finding the most problems, which isn't surprising since it goes first, generally speaking.

Here is a summary:

Chrome has more difficulty displaying pages for us old people once it is tweeked for old eyes (you have to play around with font size, etc to get the print big enough to read).  

Once you get a Chrome mix that works, then everything is usable but you can tell your display has been tweeked a bit when you go view normal web pages.    

Firefox tends not to have this issue as the Firefox international developers tend to use older monitor stuff (like we do) while the Chrome developers all seem to use VERY modern monitors with huge resolutions.   I think the monitor/display issues tend to come from that -- aggravated by YaBB itself being so out of date (most issues are seen when typing posts in the YaBB text box).

Simply stated, the text in the YaBB text box is too small to be read on 19" older low resolution VGA and SuperVGA monitors when using Chrome.   Admittedly, this is really an issue with older eyes reading older equipment and it can be tweeked with text font size tweeks.

But, Chrome has this issue A LOT more than Firefox has this issue.   Firefox tends to show a font that is usable at all times and is wonderfully consistently and usable across all net pages.

So, Firefox wins for best, most usable display.   So Firefox is my "go to" browser and as such goes it into troubled situations first.

============

Other than that, Chrome always wins for always working right.   Always.  A dozen times since this last Mint 7 upgrade there have been DRM issues and other "caused" things that have caused Firefox to choke for a week or so (generally trying to view streamed content or copyrighted works) that have caused me to switch back over to Chrome for a bit.

Chrome's displayed text issues don't really count once you get into your video content, and they can likely be lived with very easily with someone who owns a modern monitor.  

So, Firefox is more user friendly with old monitors and old eyes -- Chrome simply works better all the time otherwise.

Linux Mint Mate 7.0 itself has had no issue to speak of, it just does what you expect it to do right up until the point you hit the wall with some DRM'd providers ---- and especially some stubborn providers like Amazon Prime, who have made a business decision NOT to play on Linux devices at all.

============

Steam and video games

Windows is still better at this point for your gaming, but the amount of current Linux ready games from Steam are in numbered in the thousands now and are growing all the time.    You can find a low cost game for your Linux machine no matter what you like to play.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Re: Browser wars on Mint Linux
Reply #1 - 07/18/14 at 16:38:55

I went to Opera, seems to work well for the family.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 07/19/14 at 07:47:42

Firefox's big issue (and the reason why I stopped using it as my default browser) is security related.

Chrome, and even I.E., use what's called a "sandbox."  Basically what it does is it allows programs to run and interact with each other without actually interacting directly with each other.  It's kind of like a "scratch pad" for your computer while it's connected to the internet, allowing your computer to jot down ideas and information that can then be read by other programs on the computer.

From an internet security standpoint, having a sandbox is huge.  It means that your browser can view things that are potentially dangerous without compromising the security of the entire system, and anything looking in from the internet can only see the browser, not the rest of the stuff on the computer.

Firefox is the only major browser that doesn't have a sandbox.  The reason for this is because Firefox's base operating code was written before sandboxes were needed by browser software, and it would take the developers ungodly amounts of time and resources to rewrite the entire program to add it in.

I don't like Chrome because it was built by Google, and Google is one of the biggest data-mining outfits out there; but at least Chrome works.  Anyone who still uses I.E. in this day in age needs to take a Computers 101 course at their local community college.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/19/14 at 07:55:51

Oh,  my eyes !!!

MS Explunger splashed right into my eyes -- with Bing in it no less !!!

Shocked

I'll be blind for at least an hour after seeing that ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 07/19/14 at 08:07:20

My windows 8 platform has been having video errors lately.....
I have been getting green screen on my you tube or any video....
I reset the computer, it seems to work for awhile then does it again...
Oh well, the joy of computers...

It has done it on Explorer, You tube, and Facebook... I am wondering if its just the java or adobe apps...which ever is in control of the flash player.

Meant to add.....that the video ad's still work though.....go figure Sad

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/19/14 at 08:09:14

You guys are making do an awful lot of work...
First Linux,... now I have to dump Firefox...  and I love my Firefox...

jman,.. I assume you went to Opera?.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 07/19/14 at 08:15:58

I think my first time with Opera was back in the windows 3.1 days.... it was a ton faster than windows browser and a small package that did not track your net usage or load up on site cookies.

LOL, I still have my 3.5 floppy windows 3.1 disks...too bad I can't write a program or two, I would put some drivers on that booger and see if I could get it to work with Wi-Fi.

I bought a cheap 3.5 external drive but can seem to get it to recognize some of the stuff on the disks... most of them don't want to read...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/19/14 at 08:29:21

old_rider wrote on 07/19/14 at 08:07:20:
My windows 8 platform has been having video errors lately.....
I have been getting green screen on my you tube or any video....
I reset the computer, it seems to work for awhile then does it again...
Oh well, the joy of computers...

It has done it on Explorer, You tube, and Facebook... I am wondering if its just the java or adobe apps...which ever is in control of the flash player.

Meant to add.....that the video ad's still work though.....go figure Sad

I take it that you're not too "up" on computer technology.  I also assume, from your post, that you use Internet Explorer as your default web browser.

You utilize IE to access Youtube and Facebook.

I would seriously recommend installing Google Chrome and then running an add-on program called "Ad-block Plus."  It will eliminate about 98% of the advertisements on the internet.

IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/19/14 at 08:30:27

Serowbot wrote on 07/19/14 at 08:09:14:
You guys are making do an awful lot of work...
First Linux,... now I have to dump Firefox...  and I love my Firefox...

jman,.. I assume you went to Opera?.... Huh...

No, I use Chrome...but only until Firefox fixes their coding and adds a sandbox.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 07/19/14 at 12:22:57

As said earlier, I use Firefox first, then Chrome away the various issues with Firefox as they occur.

Each of us has different circumstances, go to different sites, etc.   So read what we are using before thinking you have to run go do something.

I use Linux Mint Mate version 7 (64 bit), others use MS Windows 7, etc.

Adblock Plus is something I use both on FireFox and on Chrome -- it works better on Chrome as it causes a slight delay on Firefox (the ads load up then disappear on Firefox -- but on Chrome they just are never there).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/19/14 at 12:38:04

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/19/14 at 12:22:57:
As said earlier, I use Firefox first, then Chrome away the various issues with Firefox as they occur.

Each of us has different circumstances, go to different sites, etc.   So read what we are using before thinking you have to run go do something.

I use Linux Mint Mate version 7 (64 bit), others use MS Windows 7, etc.

Adblock Plus is something I use both on FireFox and on Chrome -- it works better on Chrome as it causes a slight delay on Firefox (the ads load up then disappear on Firefox -- but on Chrome they just are never there).

Odd.  I never had that issue while running adblock on firefox.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 07/19/14 at 23:09:49

Oh I have chrome loaded....but have had windoze sooooo long i'm too used to it...
I have mint 17 loaded up on my mini laptop and use it a lot lately....fun stuff, I like the fact that it has FREE office....
LOL, i'm even thinking of upgrading to 8.1 because it keeps bugging me to do so..... just to give me some fits....a man needs to throw fits now and then, to keep his metabolism right.
Well, I could always go and play bf4 and piss an moan about them your wupper snappers that keep sneakin' up on me and backstabbing....guess I should wear my headsets more often.

P.S.  I been building my own putters since 84', when them lightnin' fast 386 chips came out.
Yeah...128 megs of ram!! shewwww!! you mean you downloaded a 1 meg file in under 15 minutes??? Dang man!!!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 07/22/14 at 08:08:42

For those that do not like the new Firefox 29 interface, there is a Firefox fork that does not use it at all.   This fork is available on PC and on Android phones at this time.

http://liliputing.com/2014/07/pale-moons-firefox-based-browser-ported-to-andr...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:18:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Browser wars on Mint Linux

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.