stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Identification
07/17/14 at 13:36:50

If you haven't thought of it, here are two suggestions for identifying both yourself as well as your keys.  

a) Road ID - It's a bracelet that you can get for about $20 that has anything you want laser engraved on it.  I got one for jogging in case something happens while I am off the beaten path and have a medical issue or get hit by some jack-leg in a cage that doesn't yield to me.  Gave me and my wife some comfort that if something happened, I would get helped immediately with medical staff knowing my details and she would know about it asap (I have her contact info on mine as well as my medical info, blood type, etc.). I have tried to start making a habit of wearing it when I ride...sometimes I forget on my short daily commute but I try to remember when I do anything outside of my normal ride to work.  Yeah, I have a wallet and ID too but this helps if your wallet is buried in a saddle bag and you have an accident. This company provides first clas customer service and a quality product. (http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=RoadI...)

2) I have dog tags made for all of my sets of keys including my motorcycle that identify me in the event that the keys are lost.  It has my name and address/phone (use your address at your discretion...I live on a gated property so I am not too worried about someone getting as far as my mailbox) though preferably someone will call me if they are ever lost because I am probably somewhere needing them to get home!  Angry   There are several places here on the interweb you can order them from, but it gives me a sense of security knowing that IF I lose my keys, hopefully someone honest will find them and call me and hopefully not someone that wants a new motorcycle :'(

Enjoy!

IMG-20140717-02099.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Identification
Reply #1 - 07/17/14 at 14:37:08

If you lose your keys, chances are the finder will not be honest.

I never have any identification on keyrings any more. I also have a separate keyring for each vehicle. Between physical thieves and identity thieves, it is just too dangerous.  Even just a name can be googled and your address found.

If you lose them, nothing may happen right away. It can be months later. Thieves can be very patient when they need to.

My son had a girlfriend that got her purse (with keys) stolen out of my son's car. Don't ask why they left it in the car. "It was only for a few minutes...".

Her car was mostly garaged, but 3 months later, she left it out overnight and it was stolen. A couple days later, she saw it on the street while driving, called the police and tailed the perps until the police showed up. Her purse was still in the car. along with items and identification for about 5 other people. The perps were a couple of crackhead women. They must have cased the house almost every day, waiting for the car to be left in the driveway. When you are on crack and have no job, you have plenty of time to work on your criminal skills.  

IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #2 - 07/17/14 at 17:12:06

I agree that too much info on your stuff can be a problem, I use one of my old AF dog tags, woven into the laces on my riding vest. So they have my SSN on them, darn near everything you do needs that these days... oh well. But it also has blood type and is clearly an indicator that i should go to a VA hospital should something happens that i need to be transported and unable to say as much. IT coveres the only need i can see for someone to ID me on a bike.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/17/14 at 17:30:50

GridMonkey wrote on 07/17/14 at 17:12:06:
..., woven into the laces on my riding vest. So they have my SSN on them, darn near everything you do needs that these days... oh well. But it also has blood type and is clearly an indicator that i should go to a VA hospital should something happens that i need to be transported and unable to say as much. IT coveres the only need i can see for someone to ID me on a bike.

I wouldn't assume that they will find that... I'd stick it in my wallet...
EMT's check for bracelet, necklace, and wallet info... (they ain't gonna' go over every inch of your leathers)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #4 - 07/17/14 at 18:00:08

Yea, should have been a bit more location specific, it ends up just under/left of my heart, i do have my id in a wallet too, but this way i have something on either side, they dont roll people over to check wallets from a crash, if they are expedient they may get to it after you're in the ER, sometimes not even then. I've been on a few "pickups" over the years, anything helps, but yes, those are the first places EMS looks. The bracelet idea Stew posted is a great idea, but i do think it should be limited to medical info. ICE info in phone or wallet.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 07/17/14 at 20:11:38

valid points regarding dishonest folks and crooks. a risk i urge everyone to consider, it's just a risk i am willing to take in my community. but it does make one think about revising them to just have a partial name or something ungoogleable along with just a cell versus a landline that can be traced easily (i only use a cell). bottom line, hard up snd determined crooks will find you if they really want to.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 07/18/14 at 08:09:11

Tattoo your military dog tags on your ribs. If mine ever turn up again (both, tags are missing and can't find my ribs, gained a few pounds) I'm going to have it done.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:26:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Identification

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.