Send Topic Print
What is this connector? (Read 84 times)
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What is this connector?
07/17/14 at 06:45:09

Hello all, i can't figure out how to post pictures so i'm referring to the black connector that goes under the seat close to the passenger seat. it has three yellow wires. the top two terminals inside are oriented vertically and the bottom one horizontally. i hope that makes sense...

first some background info:
Some time ago, this connector was probably in the wrong place because it had unplugged on its own while riding a couple of times, and whenever this happened it felt like there were charging issues or battery issues.

more recently the bike had been giving battery issues for a couple of weeks: i couldn't use the headlight otherwise it would not start later... had to charge it in the morning sometimes... things like that... so i know i need a battery.

Yesterday i was riding home and the bike just felt like it had some electric problem... stalling a bit, the engine stopped running at one point but i was going downhill so i was able to bumpstart it... then it stopped again and that was it

The starter would not turn... just sort of gave out that clicking noise when your battery hasn't enough juice....

I jumpstarted it and it came alive fine.. but when i gave it gas it would stop again. I tried that a few times... it seemed ok in idle but stopped when i tried to give it gas.

I looked under the seat and thought that black connector we mentioned was giving trouble again... It looked "plugged in" but i thought i'd check, so i tried unplugging it and it was very hard to do... when i got it unplugged i noticed the bottom terminal (horizontal one) looked as it had fused into the black plastic. Didn't look completely melted but just a bit.

What exactly are those yellow wires? where do they come from? what do they do? I know for a fact i should first get a new battery, but is there something else i should look into regarding these wires? thanks for all your help.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: What is this connector?
Reply #1 - 07/17/14 at 06:50:14

Can you look at this link and tell the folks here what part# it is?

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/506b36cef870022ba8af9eb5/wirin...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/17/14 at 07:05:27

You can find lots of cool stuff in the Technical Section if you look there.  Here is a diagram that is listed in the Table of Contents under the "Electrical" heading.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099317926

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/17/14 at 07:37:29

If you want a picture instead of a diagram go to the tech section, the top part, where it says " The Savage Companion Photo CD is here...".  Download the pictures.  Open the electrical folder and look at the one labeled Voltage_Regulator_1.

The three yellow wires are from the alternator and go to the voltage regulator.  A bad connection in that area would certainly cause electrical problems.  And there are other pictures if that is not the connector you are referring to.  Once you find it let us know which one it is and someone can probably help you.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/17/14 at 09:38:09

engineer wrote on 07/17/14 at 07:37:29:
The three yellow wires are from the alternator and go to the voltage regulator.  A bad connection in that area would certainly cause electrical problems.  And there are other pictures if that is not the connector you are referring to.  Once you find it let us know which one it is and someone can probably help you.

+1..
Yup,.. those wires charge yer' battery...  clean the contacts, and plug them back in...
If the connector is weak, use a zip tie to hold the connector together...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/19/14 at 12:26:04

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. I removed the passenger seat and i found out those wires of course went from the alternator to the regulator... I changed the battery but the problem is its not charging. tried a different regulator and same thing. 12.5 volts engine off.... 12.3V engine idling and 12.4V at about 5K RPM. So i'm not sure what to check next. I started a new topic about too if you wanna chime in... Thanks again everyone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:33:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is this connector?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.