Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Washing a Polycarbonate Windshield (Read 133 times)
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Washing a Polycarbonate Windshield
07/15/14 at 17:03:44

I know I'm not supposed to get alcohol on it.  What kind of chemical can I use to clean it that won't damage it and works really well to clean it?  Is there any kind of cloth I can use that won't damage it?

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Washing a Polycarbonate Windshield
Reply #1 - 07/15/14 at 17:17:59

I bought a new windshield last winter and it had definite instructions about cleaning.  It said to use only mild soap.  No window cleaner, no solvents, no abrasives etc.  Mild soap only and it doesn't work very good to get the bugs off.

I've been told that draping a hot wet towel over the windshield for a few minutes prior to cleaning helps to soften the bugs.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #2 - 07/15/14 at 17:19:31

Plexus plastic cleaner is the best.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 07/15/14 at 17:20:38

When in doubt about cleaning stuff I use eyeglasses cleaner. If it will leave all the coatings on my glasses alone it cant hurt anything. The best thing for drying it is a clean chammios.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #4 - 07/16/14 at 04:14:24

I like Honda's Spay Cleaner Polish. Use it on the whole bike with a worn out t-shirt. I also use it to clean my helmet including the face shield. Gets great reviews and can be picked up at a local dealer.

I usually spray the windshield first, along with any other area with bugs, and let it soak for awhile. I'm sure you already know this but never use paper towels on plastic. The wood fibers can leave scratches.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/942/28845/Pro-Honda-Spray-Cleaner-%26-Polish

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/16/14 at 04:16:57

Eyeglass lenses are polycarbonate. You can use the same thing they recommend for them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/16/14 at 05:02:51

Yep....When I am ready to clean my windshield I place wet paper towels or a wet towel on the windshield to do the initial bug guts softening.  Then I remove the towels and use the hose to spray water on the windshield to get off the grit.....you don't want to start scrubbing with anything until you have the grit off or you will scratch the windshield.  Then I apply soapy water and wash the windshield, and then rinse it again with water, and dry with a microfiber towel.  If I want to polish it I use a cleaner made for plastic windshields.

Same thing for my face shield on my helmet.  Although sometimes I will remove it and soak it in the utility sink in sudsy water to soften the bugs and get the grit off.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #7 - 07/16/14 at 05:52:14

I use eye glass cleaner on my windshield and it works great!

IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/16/14 at 05:58:15

BalingWire wrote on 07/15/14 at 17:19:31:
Plexus plastic cleaner is the best.

+1 on Plexus.  I use it on my Triumph Daytona, and on my helmet, and it works wonders.

I bought a large can from the local Harley shop about 2 years ago, and it's still not empty.

It's not cheap stuff, though.

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #9 - 07/16/14 at 06:07:53

Yes, motorcycles dealerships are carrying Plexus now. You can also pick up a can at the local airport.

A tip from my aircraft daze on cleaning plastic windshields:

Wipe One Way.  One Way Only.

"One Ping Only" The Hunt for Red October, Sir Sean Connery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0JaXfKj68

No circles! No swirls! No cross-hatching! No this-a-way-then-that-a-way! After a few years, you'll have little micro-scratches, and if you've wiped one way only, the sun will sometimes glint off the micro-scratches only at one angle, instead of all the time at many angles.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/16/14 at 06:27:44

Makes sense,,  no reason to screw up in every direction.
The prep work Dave mentioned sounds really smart.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 07/16/14 at 06:32:21

+1 on the soaking with a warn (or at least wet) towel or cloth to loosen all of the gunk. This is key.

I recently tested the 'pledge' cleaning method and I was quite impressed at how well it works.  If you are not familiar with using pledge (yes, the wood polish/cleaner) search the web and you'll find a lot of people using it.  You can use the old lemony scent or the multi-surface (what I used) and as long as you apply it on the bike and the windshield that DO NOT have dirt and grime on them it acts as a great polish and leaves a shiny, slippery surface that helps keep the bugs and dirt from sticking back to the bike.  Works on the metal and plastic surfaces equally as well.  

Sure, you can buy the professional products as several have noted and it's a safe bet if you are concerned about damaging your windshield...I'm just a cheapo and willing to take the gamble on pledge and it worked (this time)  Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/16/14 at 07:01:08

Back in the 70's I was taking flying lessons in small planes.  The airport always used Pledge on the plastic windshields.  Got the bugs off and made the rain slide off really well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/16/14 at 14:07:07

Dave wrote on 07/16/14 at 07:01:08:
Back in the 70's I was taking flying lessons in small planes.  The airport always used Pledge on the plastic windshields.  Got the bugs off and made the rain slide off really well.

I gave myself Flying Lessons off of Grandpa's barn. I Soloed the first day and hung up my wings at the same time.

IP Logged
PuffsPlus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/16/14 at 18:50:31

Good thread. Very informative!!  Cheesy

Boldly going forward cause I can't find reverse!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:26:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Washing a Polycarbonate Windshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.