Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Flooding carb during warm-up idle (Read 173 times)
jman

Central Wisconsin
Flooding carb during warm-up idle
07/14/14 at 14:42:11

In reference to my wife's bike:

1995 Savage
22,000+ miles
Full tank of non-ethanol 87 octane (filled up 13 July, this thread posted 14 July)
No mods to fuel system, engine, or exhaust.
Fresh NGK DPR7EA-9 spark plug about a week to 10 days ago.

The bike starts and idles just fine when it's stone-cold (air temp between 60-80 F) using 1/2 choke.  During what I'm referring to as a "transition" period between cold and full operating temperature, the bike will not run with 1/2 choke, but will sputter and die without throttle input.  However, adding throttle to it will cause the carburetor to flood and overflow.

Idle mixture screw is set at 1.5 turns out (did that today, too)

Mostly what I did today was to pull the float bowl off the carb, clean the jets, clean the float needle and seat, and reposition (several times) the float needle so it will close sooner.

That didn't seem to help it.

About the only way that the bike works the way it's supposed to is if you get on it and ride as soon as it's running, regardless of engine temperature, and then only if you really wind the gears out.  1-2 shift between 25 and 30 mph, 2-3 above 40, etc.  Only after riding it hard like that for about 2-3 miles will it idle like it's supposed to, otherwise it will kill when you pull the clutch in.

I'm all out of ideas on what I need to do.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Flooding carb during warm-up idle
Reply #1 - 07/14/14 at 14:53:15

No mods to fuel system?  I would start with a Raptor petcock. Your stock vacuum petcock is 19 years old.  could be goin' out on ya.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 07/14/14 at 15:05:25

I found the part and a video guide for installation, but it'll have to wait until Friday when I get paid.

The Yamaha part number is 5LP-24500-01-00.

The bikebandit.com part number is 1213144.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 07/14/14 at 15:22:27

Yeah, my local shop had one in stock so I was able to get it right away and support the local guys!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/14/14 at 15:24:41

Run petcock in prime, if you still have the have exact same problem, pull the carburetor and clean it.

IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/14/14 at 15:27:32

humblegeo wrote on 07/14/14 at 15:24:41:
Run petcock in prime, if you still have the have exact same problem, pull the carburetor and clean it.

Wait...that doesn't make sense to me.

With the petcock in prime, the fuel flow is constant, regulated only by the float needle.  If it's flooding in the "On" position while the bike is idling, wouldn't it flood in the "Prime" position as well?

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #6 - 07/14/14 at 15:32:07

You can change your petcock but it's still going to flood.  Clean your carb out.  I would guess the needle and seat have crap in them or need replacing.

IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/14/14 at 15:38:37

Seaweednh wrote on 07/14/14 at 15:32:07:
You can change your petcock but it's still going to flood.  Clean your carb out.  I would guess the needle and seat have crap in them or need replacing.

Pardon my bluntness (I'm still learning what this "tact" thing is all about), but if you had read my original post in this thread properly, you would have seen that I cleaned the float needle and seat.

Humblegeo:

It started and ran just fine through 1/2 choke and the "transition" period at idle with the petcock on "Prime."  Once it started transitioning to being warmed up, I switched it back to "On," and within about 15 seconds or so, it started coughing and sputtering like it did earlier today and yesterday.

IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/14/14 at 15:51:50

Ok, so I referenced this thread: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

And I tried sucking on the petcock vacuum tube, and I got zero resistance (and zero fuel), and a sound like sucking on a straw.

Would a LEAKING vacuum line for the petcock cause it to act the way I have described?

I'm in the process of draining the tank right now with the intent of pulling the vacuum line off the petcock and checking it for leaks.  I may have to run to O'Reilly's again today for some vacuum line.

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/14/14 at 16:15:08

Humblegeo:

It started and ran just fine through 1/2 choke and the "transition" period at idle with the petcock on "Prime."  Once it started transitioning to being warmed up, I switched it back to "On," and within about 15 seconds or so, it started coughing and sputtering like it did earlier today and yesterday.

You didn't say that in your original post. Sounds like you have two problems: Petcock not working right in "on" position and float bowl needle valve not shutting off fuel to float bowl. Sorry for the confusion.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/14/14 at 16:18:09

You should be able to pull the vacuum line any time. If there's gas there,the petcock is bad.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 07/14/14 at 16:25:25

I think I found the problem.  This is the petcock end of the petcock vacuum line (with the spring removed).

Anyone else see what's wrong here?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 07/14/14 at 16:39:18

I sure do,... that tabletop with the broken vac line on it, needs refinishing... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #13 - 07/14/14 at 16:58:19

jman wrote on 07/14/14 at 16:25:25:
I think I found the problem.  This is the petcock end of the petcock vacuum line (with the spring removed).

Anyone else see what's wrong here?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/Zulu71/DSC00233.jpg

A broken vac line will stave the carb, not flood it. Running the petcock in "prime" will be the same as with the raptor petcock.  The petcock's function is to allow the flow of gas to the carb or shut it off, nothing more, nothing less.

If I offended you earlier, my sincere apologies.  The needle, seat, and float is the only thing that regulates the carb from flooding over.  In over 40 years as a mechanic I've never run across any other cause.  Of course there is always a first and I will be more than willing to learn from it.

IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #14 - 07/14/14 at 17:04:52

Serowbot wrote on 07/14/14 at 16:39:18:
I sure do,... that tabletop with the broken vac line on it, needs refinishing... Huh...

You're not the first to comment on that table top.  It's perfectly fine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:24:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flooding carb during warm-up idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.