Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Flooding carb during warm-up idle (Read 173 times)
jman

Central Wisconsin
Re: Flooding carb during warm-up idle
Reply #15 - 07/14/14 at 17:07:03

I replaced the cracked vacuum line, and tested the petcock by applying "manual" vacuum pressure (I sucked on the vacuum line), and got no fuel in my mouth.

Put it all back together, and the bike's sitting in the garage purring away like it hasn't been causing any headaches at all in the last week or so.

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #16 - 07/14/14 at 18:32:29

jman wrote on 07/14/14 at 17:07:03:
I replaced the cracked vacuum line, and tested the petcock by applying "manual" vacuum pressure (I sucked on the vacuum line), and got no fuel in my mouth.

Put it all back together, and the bike's sitting in the garage purring away like it hasn't been causing any headaches at all in the last week or so.

I get this is where we all got confused, to quote you, " However, adding throttle to it will cause the carburetor to flood and overflow."

If the vacuum line is broken, it shuts the fuel off to the carb and you run lean. However in your case it flooded and over flowed? It should have also run fine in the prime position, the same as with a good vacuum line in the on position.

IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #17 - 07/14/14 at 18:35:25

Seaweednh wrote on 07/14/14 at 18:32:29:
jman wrote on 07/14/14 at 17:07:03:

I get this is where we all got confused, to quote you, " However, adding throttle to it will cause the carburetor to flood and overflow."

If the vacuum line is broken, it shuts the fuel off to the carb and you run lean. However in your case it flooded and over flowed? It should have also run fine in the prime position, the same as with a good vacuum line in the on position.

Before replacing the vacuum line, I did run it in the "Prime" position, and it ran just fine.

But yes, with the cracked vacuum line in the "On" position, the bike would cough and die unless you grabbed the throttle and opened it up, in which case it would flood the float bowl and overflow through the overflow tubes.

IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #18 - 07/15/14 at 06:01:01

Well, it seems that what I did yesterday was for naught, as the bike started doing the exact same thing as described in my OP this morning when Mrs. Jman started it up to go to work.

For now we just switched the petcock over to "Prime" so she can use the bike, but this whole thing is now confusing the hell out of me.

I guess I'll be replacing the petcock after all...after payday.

IP Logged
busterboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, Ga.
Reply #19 - 07/15/14 at 06:06:04

When I first bought my Savage it did something similar, it would would only run correctly if the petcock was set to prime. I replaced it with a raptor and have had no further issues.

after.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:22:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flooding carb during warm-up idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.