Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
engine start and stop switch (Read 50 times)
brian00513
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, ohio
engine start and stop switch
07/12/14 at 19:19:53

Hi, I'm a newbie, first time on here, just bought my bike a week ago. 1996 savage. Ran fine when I got it but now it gets power but won"t start. Ignition switch tested fine, start button tested fine, start stop switch seems to be the problem according to my electrical tester and Clymer manual. No continuity in either the off or on setting.
Before I replace the entire right hand combo switch I was wondering if it would be worth taking it apart and trying to clean up the contacts? Anyone else had this problem?
Thanks. Will check this tomorrow before I make any decisions.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: engine start and stop switch
Reply #1 - 07/12/14 at 19:53:31

A lot of people have problems with the clutch safety switch and kick stand safety switch failing.  Before you tear into anything else, I would suggest testing those.  If I remember correctly, they may prevent continuity from ever reaching your kill switch.

Check it out and let us know what you find.   Cool

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 07/12/14 at 20:20:52

There's a plug under the right front of the gas tank that goes to the switch cluster.  Sometimes it will back out a little.  Will cause it not to start or to die if it's running when it happens. Looks like it's connected fine.  unplug and replug or just push in good and see if maybe that helps.  

If it turns out to be the switch, I would certainly take it apart.  At that point, you're not gonna lose anything.  You'll have to replace it anyway if you can't fix it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 07/12/14 at 20:29:04

If it is the switch and cleaning doesn't work, I would bypass it. I never use it. When it gets bumped to off, it always takes me more than a few seconds to figure out why my bike won't start. I shut mine off by putting the kickstand down and occasionally with the key.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 18:20:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine start and stop switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.