Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1987 Suzuki savage 650 I need help please! !!!! (Read 127 times)
squirrel83ms
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1987 Suzuki savage 650 I need help please! !!!!
07/11/14 at 19:59:16

My bike will take me 65 miles to work then the new 220 cca battery is dead when I get off of work I can jump it off but the bike will only travel on its own power so far the bike leaves me stranded every day. I even put a solar powered charger on it because it sits out in the hot Georgia sun all day at work but it still leaves me stranded. I replaced the voltage regulator with a used one but same problem.  Will take me to work running 55 mpg with high beams on. Because I head to work at 4:30 am and head home at 7pm??

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: 1987 Suzuki savage 650 I need help please! !!!
Reply #1 - 07/11/14 at 20:40:56

Hm. Sounds like you have a battery drain going on. Are you sure you are turning the key off in the correct position? (OFF, not PARK).

IP Logged
squirrel83ms
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/11/14 at 20:56:03

Yes I'm turning it off and taking the key out but fully charged battery dose not have anuff power to start it after work to drive the 65 miles home maybe take the positive cable off and then place the solar charger on it ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/11/14 at 20:57:21

sounds like it's not producing electricity

do you have a volt meter?  get one.

you should have at least 13 something volts, rev it up should get near 14 at the battery.

disconnect the line from the stator to the rectifier.
at 4000 rpm should be 100 vac across a couple of leads.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/11/14 at 21:17:40

Charon wrote on 08/25/13 at 14:17:07:
Ohms check, with engine stopped: should be infinity (open) from any of the yellow wires to ground. This with the three yellow wires disconnected from the regulator. Should be continuity from any yellow to any other yellow, but Clymer's doesn't give the reading other than saying "low resistance." Any pair should be about the same resistance as any other pair.

Voltage check: three yellow wires still disconnected, and engine running. Should get above 100 volts AC between any pair of yellow wires, with the engine at 5000 RPM.  

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/11/14 at 21:23:30

WWW   IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 07/11/14 at 21:43:23

- Clean the leads to the battery with a wire brush.
- When clamping them down to the battery, make sure they're flat on the terminals. After market battery terminals may not snuggle up well with the stock leads, sometimes you have to bend the leads flat to make them fit.
- Make sure the positive lead (right side) cannot make contact with the metal cover of the battery box/tool tray. There should be a rubber boot to cover the positive terminal.

What problems were you having that caused  you to install a new battery?

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
squirrel83ms
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/12/14 at 09:19:07

When I bought this bike from this old guy the bike would not run the guy tried for over an hour to get the bike to fire off he tried jumping it off with his car he told me the bike only needed a carberator. The bike finely fired off with some starting fluid.  He told me the bike needs a decompression solid was bad on this bike and that I could weld a handle on it and use it manually.  I got the bike home bought a new battery  cleaned the carb. Notice the needle value was up side down I fixed it the bike fired right up and ran good I drove it all over town. The next day the starter was sticking I cleaned the starter and no luck I ordered a rebuild kit from eBay and it was the wrong one it made the starter run backwards.  I took the new kit milled it down sauterd it on the old part and it worked fine. This bike starter button does not work it has a toggle switch to start the bike under the seat. Also the horn button does not work.  The kick stand kill switch has been bypassed, the clutch switch has a jumper wire on it.  I rode it to work 65 miles one way. Got off of work battery was dead. Jumped it off I got half way home and the bike died like it ran out of gas is what it acted like and the battery was dead. I charged the battery back up and bought a solar charger and drove it back to work bike dose fine going to work with fully charged battery. After work battery tried to crank the bike so I got jumped off again riding home the head plug started leaking very badly I had an extra quart of oil with me the bike died like it was out of gas I noticed it was low on oil it had leaked all over my boot. I replaced the oil thought it might have a low oil kill switch.  The battery was dead.  My girl friend jumped me off was riding home got pulled over by the cops running bike with no lights 1000 yards from my home when it was getting dark my girlfriend was behind me with her emergency flashers on. They let me go with just a warning.  I had a guy look at the bike it  had two wires touching on the starter really I did not know about he thought that might have drained the battery.  He told me it needed a voltage regulator.  I fixed the head plug leak  and the two wires that where touching.  Waited on my voltage regulator I bought used off of eBay to come in. Bike ran good all over town. So I decided to try to save some gas money and take it back on the 65 mile ride to work and broke down 15 miles from work. One of my coworkers took me to work. After work they jumped me off the bike died on me again 25 miles from the house I tried to bump start it going down the road but no luck before the bike slowed down I tried to push start the bike but no luck.  Left me walking 5 miles to get cell phone service to call for help.   :'(  Now the battery is fully charged the bike fired right up. Only thing I noticed different is this time getting jumped off the bike had light with the new voltage regulator  the old one did not.

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #8 - 07/12/14 at 11:09:05

" rev it up should get near 14 at the battery."

Wrong. The regulator makes sure that the battery never overcharges. Expect the voltage at the battery to drop down to just barely above 12V DC when you rev the engine, or even less. Had me puzzled for a while, but this behaviour is verified and correct.

The highest charging voltage is at idle.  

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/12/14 at 15:20:18

Wow!! That bike has been a real nightmare. What a project. Of course it is 27 years old. I would forget about driving it to work till you get all the kinks worked out. Guess you could disconnect the negative side of the battery when you get to work and reconnect when you get ready to leave work, at least till you find what is draining the battery. Fully charged battery should be 12.6 volts 2.1 volts per cell so with it running it needs to be charging at something greater than 12.6 volts. I don't remember where the rectifier bridge is on this bike but if one of the diodes is shorted it will affect your charging voltage as well. It converts from ac voltage to DC voltage.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #10 - 07/14/14 at 09:57:21

If you were having problems with the starter, you really need to do the tests that are listed above by verslagen1.

Given the year of the bike, I'm not at all surprised by the make-do modifications that have been put on it. though wiring in a toggle instead of fixing the ignition switch has me a little confused. (Security feature???)

An '87 may have taken a tooth or two out of your main starter sprocket and now it's chewing up the stator. I had this happen on my '86. The only sign of the damage at first was that it wouldn't charge while riding. Check the voltage you have at those yellow wires and you'll know if it is your stator or not.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 06:54:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1987 Suzuki savage 650 I need help please! !!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.