Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The unexpected happened at Target... (Read 102 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The unexpected happened at Target...
07/10/14 at 09:14:23

Target’s Gun Ban Has Unexpected Results As Assailants Attack Store’s Unarmed Customers
A gun, loaded with live ammunition, was found abandoned in the toy aisle of Target.

Three days ago, Target enacted a new policy in which they asked customers to politely leave their guns at home or not bring them on the premises of any Target store. This was probably decided after a loaded gun was found in the toy aisle of one of their stores as reported here on The Inquisitr.
ADVERTISEMENT

Unfortunately, their gun ban policy is proving to be problematic as numerous reports are coming in about Target’s customers getting robbed at gunpoint.

According to reports, including one in the Gainesville Times, Target shoppers at two different stores in Georgia have been robbed by armed assailants since the discount retailer announced the policy on July 2, 2014.

Perhaps as a reaction to the robberies, Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder said that there was no ban on guns, and it was just a “request” that the company hoped customers would honor. She said there would be no signs banning guns nor would customers with a gun be asked to leave.

Unfortunately, similar incidents have taken place at other Target stores. This includes a woman having her purse and car stolen by an armed assailant at a Target in Atlanta, and a man who was robbed of $500 at gunpoint at a Target on Shallowford Road, which is about 50 miles northeast of Atlanta.

It is possible Target didn’t understand that many gun-related crimes occur in gun-free zones, and their statement, though technically not banning guns, may have been enough to give the perception that their stores are easy pickings for would be criminals.

Jerry Henry, executive director for the website GeorgiaCarry.org, had this to say about Target:

“That’s what happens in gun-free zones. They actually should be called victim-enrichment zones because that what they are. If anyone want to commit a crime with impunity, take your gun where there are no guns. You can do what you want, get in and get out and there’s nobody to stop you.”

Prior to the incidents, the policy was getting both positive and negative feedback, especially on the Denver Post. What is unknown right now is if reports of Target customers being robbed at gunpoint will make the store reword or rethink their policy.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1343779/targets-gun-ban-proves-to-be-absolute-rubbis...

I don't know to whom it was "unexpected".
I certainly expected it to happen.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The unexpected happened at Target...
Reply #1 - 07/10/14 at 12:52:49

No kidding,, announced policy, sheep to be shorn..And someone shows up to shear a few and that was unexpected??

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/10/14 at 13:35:33

I had to post the first article because people on another forum were unaware.
One week, well 8 days ago, Target announced it's no-gun policy.

--Steve

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #3 - 07/10/14 at 14:20:21

Target and other businesses have welcomed legal concealed carry for years. The vague "request" to not carry guns stems from open carrying rifles into stores by a group called "Open Carry Texas," demonstrating their displeasure that Texas law allows only licensed concealed carry, but not open carry, of handguns.

« Last Edit: 07/10/14 at 15:49:34 by BalingWire »  

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 07/10/14 at 16:03:03

The second amendment means that the GOVERNMENT can't infringe on the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms. A private business can ask you not to bring guns onto their property any time they want. They can't have you arrested but they are entirely within their rights to ask you to leave. Whatever a particular businesses policy happens to be, and whether it is a good idea or not, is that businesses affair, no one else s.

The guys in the photos in the post above are just di*kheads. If you chose to be armed - which I do - then get a concealed weapons licence and keep your gun under your shirt. Stunts like those pictured don't exactly help to convince folks who are either anti-gun or neutral about the issue, that most gun owners are sensible, responsible people whom there is no reason to fear.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/11/14 at 06:12:57

oldNslow wrote on 07/10/14 at 16:03:03:
The guys in the photos in the post above are just di*kheads. If you chose to be armed - which I do - then get a concealed weapons licence and keep your gun under your shirt. Stunts like those pictured don't exactly help to convince folks who are either anti-gun or neutral about the issue, that most gun owners are sensible, responsible people whom there is no reason to fear.

This.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/11/14 at 09:04:16

oldNslow wrote on 07/10/14 at 16:03:03:
The second amendment means that the GOVERNMENT can't infringe on the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms. A private business can ask you not to bring guns onto their property any time they want. They can't have you arrested but they are entirely within their rights to ask you to leave. Whatever a particular businesses policy happens to be, and whether it is a good idea or not, is that businesses affair, no one else s.

I agree with all of this. Now,I want to add an idea.
WHY do we recoil at the sight of a gun in public places unless a cop is wearing it? I LIKE guns and those open carry guys would make me uncomfortable I THINK.  SO why ??Gee,could it be the years of training on TV? I am forever studying my thinking,looking into it,looking for bias and illogical attitudes.I work hard to be able to say my attitudes are based in honest analysis of fact .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 07/11/14 at 11:51:33

Quote:
WHY do we recoil at the sight of a gun in public places unless a cop is wearing it? I LIKE guns and those open carry guys would make me uncomfortable I THINK.

I think it's just a question of context - the appropriateness of the time and place. Where I live it is not unusual to see a couple of guys dressed in either camo or blaze orange walking along a road carrying rifles or shotguns in the fall or early winter. Folks just assume they are going hunting and no one gets riled up. Those same guys waking down the street in the downtown area of our city or walking into a dept.store or shopping center would elicit a completely different reaction.

I don't know how people react to holstered handguns worn by non LEOs in places where that is legal (it isn't where I live except during hunting season and while actually hunting) but I suspect that in those places a holstered pistol doesn't freak people out as much as a guy strolling into WalMart with an AR slung across his chest.

Handguns are perceived by a lot of people as DEFENSIVE weapons. That same perception is not true of rifles, especially any rifle that looks vaguely military to the uninitiated.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/11/14 at 12:23:40

Good points.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/13/14 at 06:02:27

I can't say I want to see firearms carried openly. I'm not overly worried about someone who's carrying losing his cool and blowing an innocent away. I think concealed laws have proven things like road-rage incidents just don't happen like the anti-gun nuts predicted or claim. No, my point is psychological. The idea of people walking around in Target with holstered guns is depressing. Would feel like Palestine or someplace like that.

I would say in all 50 states, if you want to carry concealed; you should have to meet certain requirements that prove the person is a stable member of the community. Meaning; I want people carrying who have something to lose.

I don’t want a 20 year old, community college dropout living in his parents basement walking around with a .44 tucked in his pants. I want that guy’s dad; who is paying a mortgage, cutting his grass, going to neighborhood block parties and volunteering for community events to carry. I want him protecting his neighborhood.

I also want a lawsuit to be filed when someone is injured by a criminal in a building with one of those stupid ‘no guns’ stickers on the door in a community which has concealed carry laws. I want that person to sue the owner of the building out of existence because of the implied sense of security those idiots think that sticker gives the occupants of that building. It’s the dumbest thing in the world to me to think someone who is using a gun in a crime is going to stop at the door and say; “whoops, can’t rob anyone in here ‘cause the sign says no guns….”

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:28:06

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › The unexpected happened at Target...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.