Send Topic Print
Help for newbie (Read 210 times)
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Help for newbie
07/10/14 at 05:19:49

Been a while since I have visited but I have missed reading all the stories.  Here is my delima...... Went to crank the bike the other day and sounded fine at first but then I noticed it started sounding a little rough. Pushed the choke in and then it ran better for a couple seconds and then slowly puttered out and died. It will crank back up but dies every time. Naturally, I thought it may be time to clean the carb so I did that but I have 2 screws that are stripped on the top of the carb and cannot get them of to look at the diaphragm and needle. That is issue #1- stripped screws.
Thought maybe I had a exhaust leak from where I put on the dyna last spring. Re-did the exhaust, tin can, and clamps...... No changes.... Still dies.....
Decided to look at the air filter and this is what I find......

Thoughts??

1404994769059.jpg
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Help for newbie
Reply #1 - 07/10/14 at 05:43:14

It sounds like another case of petcock failure.  The filter obviously needs to be replaced but I doubt that the dirty filter is the cause of the bike not running

When you say the screws are stripped do you mean that the heads are messed up and a screw driver spins out or do you mean that the actual threads are stripped out.  If it is just the heads you might be able to use vice grips to turn them.  Try tapping on them first with a small hammer while you have the flange supported on a block of wood.  However, I doubt that the diaphragm and slide have anything to do with your current problem.  Sounds like a fuel supply problem.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/10/14 at 08:36:03

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/10/14 at 13:07:00

Choke IN and it runs better? Tell me you're not riding with the choke out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #4 - 07/10/14 at 19:08:08

Not riding at all cuz it won't stay cranked

IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #5 - 07/14/14 at 07:51:43

Tried the test that one of the guys suggested to determine if the petcock was bad. Removed the vac line from the carb and tapped on it a few times.  Smelled like gas and few drops came out. plugged vac line and capped off inlet on carb. set petcock to prime, pulled out choke, and it started up and sounded great, as usual. let her run a minute , pushed choke back in and she started petering out and then died. Choke out again and cranked her up and pulled rolled on the throttle to see if I could keep her from dying and when I snapped the throttle closed exhaust started to pop. WTH????

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/14/14 at 08:08:22

How long did that thing sit? If the P.O. let it sit and the gas in the bowl evaporated and he did that a few times,the carb might be gunked up.
I'd also check fuel flow. Pull the hose off the carb,point it in a gas can and switch to prime.I'd drain the bowl in a clean,clear glass and see how much and how clean it is.

I.m.o. IF it's running good,Good being the operative word,closing the gas off should not kill it. But,ride it,let it shut down,turn the petcock off of prime,immediately,and drain the bowl to see how much is in it. You know when it's gonna do it,so be ready.Don't let it fill up the bowl on ya.  

Hey,guys,can a sticky slide do this?
You might as well put a petcock on it. Maybe won't solve all of it,but they DO fail and they DO cause weird problems AND you got gas outta the vacuum line,so,that's enough to condemn it. I would just go buy one at the Yamaha shop. Save the hassle of trying to be sure you're actually BUYing a real Yamaha part. It's faster,too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #7 - 07/14/14 at 08:22:22

Justin, I have owned it since last spring and have ridden it this season already. A week ago I removed tank and drained gas from it, and cleaned out carb. Gas flowed freely from the hose into the gas can. However, the heads of two of the bowl screws are totally stripped and I don't have vice grips. Trying to figure how to get them suckers out and then I can access the bowl, diaphragm .....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/14/14 at 08:50:53

Once upon a time even I had no vise grips.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/14/14 at 09:21:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/14/14 at 08:50:53:
Once upon a time even I had no vise grips.

And if you do buy some Vice Grips....buy the real thing or a quality alternative.....not something cheaply made.  My nephew needed some stripped Phillips head screws removed, and he furnished me a pair of his cheaply made ones.  When I tightened them down on the screws - the jaws deformed and would not bite into the screw heads.....and we got nowhere.  The next day I brought my Vice Grips from home, and they removed the screws easily.....the Vice grips jaws cut into the screw heads and got a good grip - just like they are supposed to.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/14/14 at 13:05:59

And flat spots filed on opposite sides help. Be careful not to taper in at the top.Smooth edged  file.

IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #11 - 07/15/14 at 18:17:59

About to give up and just bite the bullet and take the bike to the shop.
Bike still runs fine with choke out  but with choke in....not so much.
Here is what I have done so far to try to fix the problem...

Replaced spark plug
Replaced stock petcock with Raptor.......which, by the way, leaks. Gas drips out from under the screws holding it onto tank (same screws from stock petcock)
Cleaned out carb
Replaced air filter

Last chance ideas????

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/15/14 at 19:03:08

These bikes will run on choke even though the pilot and main jets may be completely clogged. When you turn the choke off (push it in) the bike will die. I like to use pipe cleaners to clean carburetor jets. You can get a set at any auto store. I would pull the carburetor one more time and very carefully recheck and clean pilot and main jets and all the tiny ports using the pipe cleaners and carburetor/choke cleaner.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/15/14 at 20:37:00

Did you plug the vac port on the carb?

what exhaust?
what intake?
did you rejet or mod the muf?

WWW   IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #14 - 07/15/14 at 21:03:06

I crimped the vac line and folded it in half and zip tied it like I saw someone do on this forum.
Did not change anything with the exhaust . Last spring I changed exhaust to dyna slip on and a few weeks ago when I started having problems with the bike dying when pushing in choke, I took out the old crush gasket , put a new one in, and re-did my muffler clamps.
Not sure if this will help at all but as it stands now, with the choke out it runs pretty strong and sounds normal when rolling on and off throttle. However, with choke in, rolling on and off throttle and I get loud pops from exhaust

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 11:12:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help for newbie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.