new savage owner (Read 86 times)
russ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bridgeport Ohio
new savage owner
07/09/14 at 19:17:30

just wanted to say hi and thanks for the forum . I am also a member of 305.com , and know how valuable everyones experience is for a poor boy like me to keep em goin . I bought a 96 LS650 for 1400 and a 4 hour round trip to get . what I could tell seemed ok , when got home and went for better ride I was freekin . the bike wouldn't go above 25 miles . seemed like it was runnin on water . so I held er open for a bit and white smoke started pourin out . figured I was screwed and started lookin for forums and engines .ended up here and started my studies . rode it close to home and it seemed to improve little by little .turned out it was way overfull on oil , used some b12 chemtool I think it was and it straightened the carb right up .cleaned all oil from filter box and filter . runs great now just need to get biiger main jet I think . did the raptor and read about chain tensioner , bike has 5000 miles on it so I think I got time till needed . this winter I think . corbin on way as I don't like the gel pad I got . anyone have suggestions as to things for me to look for or need checked on ? flat ground 76 miles an hour in 5th gear seems to be all she got . stock exhaust , fine by me even though it sounds like a bird chirpin ( the bike is yellow) did the full throttle in 5th gear and let off a bit and she picks up slightly ,I'm in ohio at 900 feet elevation . po says orig and seems so to me , so I assume 47.5 on main and I should get a 50 and 52.5 to play with carb? since idle , low and all seem good can I change only main jet for a bit more top end and to not be lean ? have noticed if I pull choke out a bit she seems a little happier though I don't ride with it open , just mssin around tryin to wrap my head aroud her .carries me and my wife much better than my 66 Honda 305 dream . thanks for ideas and any help/thoughts .

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: new savage owner
Reply #1 - 07/09/14 at 19:37:16

main jet is 145 and the pilot is 52.5

get a jet kit from lancer.

WWW   IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #2 - 07/09/14 at 21:53:43

I'd say your basic mods would be jets (I'm at 1200 ft.) 52.5/152.5 with a Dyna muffler and cone filter, Raptor petcock. Runs like a cheetah now but still backfires a little. (Tune it to run, not stop...) The "chirping" is your belt alignment. There are three fixes I've looked at: bevel the edges of your belt, clean the "teeth" of the belt with a brass wire brush, or align your rear tire. I got my rear tire changed and aligned and my REALLY bad chirping went away.

This is a GREAT forum! Fish around for a while in the tech documents and old threads in Rubber Side Down. You'll get "mod fever" sooner or later. This is a cool place to see the possibilities and how to do them.

IP Logged
russ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bridgeport Ohio
Reply #3 - 07/10/14 at 03:05:32

that's where I start . thanks. will update when happens

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/10/14 at 19:31:12

Quote:
.turned out it was way overfull on oil , used some b12 chemtool I think it was and it straightened the carb right up .cleaned all oil from filter box and filter .

The excess oil might be due to the PO over filling it or fuel might be leaking through your carb and draining down into the crankcase.  Go to the tech section and look through the various indexes.  If the bike has the original petcock (look for an extra tube on it) then you should test it.

Also read up on the best oils to use before you refill that crankcase.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
NickGann

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/10/14 at 20:01:58

I had a chirp in my bike too, it was definitely the stock exhaust(bent baffle I think). Didn;t much matter as I replaced it with a jardine slashcut from ebay for about $50.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:18:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new savage owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.