Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Frequency of changing oil (Read 124 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Frequency of changing oil
07/08/14 at 07:22:36

No oil wars please, just a quick question for those educated above my knowledge level (which is most people on this forum) Grin.  I have the owner's manual, but as with a lot of things on these bikes I want the real answer from real life experience and expert users, not just what the book says.

Got my bike a couple of years ago with 400 miles on it which was sitting in a barn for 3+ years. Changed the oil to the Suzuki flavor immediately as part of my initial overhaul and at about 1000 miles changed it to Rotella T6 and have had no issues, noises or oil burn (knock on wood).  I tend to be a little anal about taking care of my toys and just turned over 3000 miles.  The oil through the glass looks clean and the bike shows no signs of needing anything but my "analness" wants to do an oil change (T6 again of course).  

Good idea since it is keeping the engine clean and fresh, or bad idea because "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

Thanks folks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Frequency of changing oil
Reply #1 - 07/08/14 at 08:22:41

I have owned my bike about 3 years and I can't say I have a good handle on the miles I ride each year.  The first year I had the Savage I rode my Trials motorcycle a lot, the next year I rode the Savage a lot, and this year I sold the Trials Bike but bought a Honda ST1100 for road trips.  I use the Rotella T and it is pretty cheap so I change often.  

I change my oil twice a year.  At the end of the riding season with a new filter, and again just before I go to the Dragon Run but I don't change the filter.  I believe that gets me about 2,000 miles between changes.  Since I got the Honda I don't use the Cafe" Savage bike for the trips to the hardware store anymore.....and I am expecting that I ride about 4,000 miles a year.

So.....I spend less than $ 20 a year on oil and filters.

Dave  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/08/14 at 08:35:17

Owners manual says 3500 miles for conventional oil.

I change it out same as dave.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/08/14 at 09:17:09

Mine hardly used oil right after I changed it. Asp miles built up,oil consumption increased.I  changed it when it started bothering me.I never got 3,000miles.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jim396
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/08/14 at 09:21:39

I change my oil every 1500, and a new filter every 3000. May be overkill to some, but I like taking care of my toys like you.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 07/08/14 at 09:31:10

Thanks for the replies.  

Sounds like I am not too far off the beaten path so to the store it is for a new oil filter and some Rotella juice.  Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 07/08/14 at 09:54:36

With better air filtration (dust collection) and oil filtration, you can run T-6 for a year with no sweat.  

I have done so for the last 4-5 years with no ill effects, but I do use better air filtration (sticky oil based fat filter)  and a big honking supermagnet sitting on top of my oil filter collecting every micro-particle of steel that normally floats around in our oil.

So, what I do does not translate into what you can do.

Rotella T is cheaper, and if you are willing to change it twice a year it costs the same as T6 changed only once a year.

BTW, I only change the oil filter every 2 years and since I flush mine out collecting all the trash in it to report on my tricks I have been known to reuse the same oil filter after it dries out good.

An air filter element stays in until dust makes an appearance on the back side, then the polyfill element gets changed out and the next trap oil gets tried.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
doctorpc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/08/14 at 11:15:38

I bought my s40 begining of last season  the previous owner said change it once a year so i do about 1500 miles a year and will change it the begining of each season ( changed it already this year)with a filter change its cheap insurance rotella T6 with 2 oz of redline added

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/08/14 at 11:56:33

doctorpc wrote on 07/08/14 at 11:15:38:
I bought my s40 begining of last season  the previous owner said change it once a year so i do about 1500 miles a year and will change it the begining of each season ( changed it already this year)with a filter change its cheap insurance rotella T6 with 2 oz of redline added

It would be better to store the bike in fresh oil rather than the build up contaminates of the year.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 07/08/14 at 12:28:54

I change mine twice a year... and more if I forget to turn off my petc0ck!

Yeah I know...change my needle valve..... really i'll get around to it one day. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 07/08/14 at 13:53:15

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/08/14 at 09:54:36:
and a big honking supermagnet sitting on top of my oil filter collecting every micro-particle of steel that normally floats around in our oil.

I wanna know more about this?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #11 - 07/08/14 at 17:53:24

Change oil, as to use.  
In a  ICE, (Big Law Mower used every week 3.5 hours +/-, once a year)
In  a little tiller, use 15 Min, every 2-3 weeks,
change oil,  3 times a year. (Other stuff, as depends)
In one MC, drive 5-10 Miles a time, change, oil 3 times a year.
In One, drive, 40-60 miles a time, change once a year.

It all depends on, the  ’Time’, the ICE is running at a,  ’time’.

In the fall, before I put, things’, away for 5-6-7 months,
I Always change oil,  Then Start it, run it, (so it get’s hot)
No Load, Then, ‘put it away’.

In the Spring, it’s just opposite for the Snowblower, and Log Splitter.

If course,  (From THIS Site) I have learned, the, S-40/LS650,
NEEDS,  Zink in the Oil. So I accommodate.

Just use a, Zink, oil (Or add it to it), for any ICE, which is older than 1985.
And change it, when you, ’think’ it needs it.

Oil is much cheaper than a new engine.

(ICE) = Internal Combustion Engine.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:21:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Frequency of changing oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.