Send Topic Print
Headlight bulbs (Read 168 times)
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Headlight bulbs
07/07/14 at 16:28:15

I am looking for a brighter headlight bulb that I can just plug in and go. I have looked at the sylvania, but have heard they dont last long. I want to purchase two bulbs one for a spare. I want bright and long lasting, but dont want to spend a fortune. I have amazon prime so I have been looking on amazon and I have found some hella bulbs for cheap. I see a 12v 60/55w and a 12v 100/80w. Could I use this 100/80w? I will put in the link below.

Thanks,
Chandler

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H83140171-Halogen-Bulb-Road/dp/B000COBLKW/ref...

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Headlight bulbs
Reply #1 - 07/07/14 at 18:27:37

Bright AND long lasting don't usually go together.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/07/14 at 18:34:46

You can't use the 80/100 Watt.  Our entire charging system reportedly only makes a total of 100 Watts....you won't have any power left for the lights, turns signals, horn or to charge the battery up from the starting cycle.

I have the Sylvania Silverstar in my bike, and they are a bit brighter.  They don't last long in a car.....I can barely get a year out of them.  However I put about 20,000 miles a year on my car and 4,000 on my bike.....so I should be able to get several years out of the Silverstar in my bike as long as the bumps and vibrations aren't too hard on it.  I bought a pair....and so I have a spare.

Avoid the lights with the blue coating.....they cut out the yellow portion of the spectrum.  Deer and other animals have that color in their fur, and they don't stand out as well with the blue tinted bulbs.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #3 - 07/07/14 at 18:49:13

Dave do you have the blue silverstar pack or the orange pack(the ultra)?

IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #4 - 07/07/14 at 20:06:06

Dave wrote on 07/07/14 at 18:34:46:
You can't use the 80/100 Watt.  Our entire charging system reportedly only makes a total of 100 Watts....you won't have any power left for the lights, turns signals, horn or to charge the battery up from the starting cycle.

I have the Sylvania Silverstar in my bike, and they are a bit brighter.  They don't last long in a car.....I can barely get a year out of them.  However I put about 20,000 miles a year on my car and 4,000 on my bike.....so I should be able to get several years out of the Silverstar in my bike as long as the bumps and vibrations aren't too hard on it.  I bought a pair....and so I have a spare.

Avoid the lights with the blue coating.....they cut out the yellow portion of the spectrum.  Deer and other animals have that color in their fur, and they don't stand out as well with the blue tinted bulbs.

Dave  

Are these the ones that you bought?
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-9003-SU-SilverStar-Headlight/dp/B0012ETJ1O/ref...

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 07/08/14 at 04:08:03

This is what I use. Their power sport stuff is designed to be vibration resistant, and their "extra" technology give more output for the wattage rating,
http://www.piaa.com/store/p/161-H4-Super-Plasma-Gt-X-Single-Halogen-Bulb.aspx

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/08/14 at 04:28:17

CHANMAN wrote on 07/07/14 at 18:49:13:
Dave do you have the blue silverstar pack or the orange pack(the ultra)?

I didn't buy the Ultra...just the normal Silverstar in the blue pack. The Ultra was more expensive and I believe the life of the Ultra is even shorter than the ones in the blue pack.  I also am not trying to get a bulb that looks like an HID.....just one that puts out a lot of light.

Dave

IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #7 - 07/08/14 at 06:03:19

Sounds good. I will look into the blue pack. Thanks dave!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/08/14 at 06:09:37

Oh....one other thing.

I did put a larger headlight on my bike! Cool

IMG_0813_001.JPG

IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #9 - 07/08/14 at 06:12:29

Dave wrote on 07/08/14 at 06:09:37:
Oh....one other thing.

I did put a larger headlight on my bike! Cool

HAHA thanks for telling me that. That is going to be on my list for winter time wrenching, but I need a brighter bulb for now. I am going to order the h4 in the blue pack. It should be fine with my headlight right?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/08/14 at 06:23:20

The Silverstar does provide some improvement.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 07/08/14 at 17:40:14

I've been tempted to put the headlight off of my old Honda 350 on mine.  It always had great lighting. Same wattages but you can buy the old sealed beams anymore...have to convert to replaceable bulb halogen.

Mine is next to impossible to adjust.  If I adjust so that the high beam goes straight down the road like it should, about the only thing I can see with the low is the front of my front tire.  If I adjust the low so it hits a reasonable distance in front of me, the high is high(in the trees). I am not sure if this is a faulty light, defective bulb, or just the way it is.

You'll see a lot better with the bigger light. I'm using the regular H4 bulb...not the silverstar.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #12 - 07/09/14 at 06:57:35

I stumbled across this one yesterday and was wondering if anyone had tried one of these H4 LED replacement bulbs yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161360839175?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/09/14 at 08:02:12

1. Input(mA):940±50
2. Lumens (lm): 800-900 Lumens
3. Power: 80W Rating = 4pc x 5W CREE Chip (Top) + 12pc x 5W Epistar Chip (Side)

1 amp instead of 5, not bad.

Bad thing is while they say low beam only, these bulbs will require a low beam only lens.

Our Headlight is Hi/Lo, so this bulb is going to be Hi beam all the time.

WWW   IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/09/14 at 09:03:46

I also upgraded to a larger 7" headlight. Used a Hella E-Code, we always had really good luck with them back in the pop-up headlight miata days. I put it in a chrome Dime City bucket with a pair of their ears. Fit well, the ears are a little long for my liking...

Much better output and beam pattern, just using the stock 55/60w Hella bulb it came with. The OEM light was downright dangerous...

I also have a relay that I will be adding shortly, that should help increase light output as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:22:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight bulbs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.