Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2007 S40 stalls. Bad smell from exhaust. (Read 191 times)
Thomas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2007 S40 stalls. Bad smell from exhaust.
07/07/14 at 12:42:51

Thanks for this amazing forum, about great bikes. My wife bought a used 2007 S40 w 5000 mi. on the odometer last year after the saftey course.About 5600 now Ran great until recently. New battery installed  .New gas .seafoam . Recently it has been stalling at stop signs , usually after riding about 15 min.   I ride behind the Suzuki and have smelled a burning , plastic or some unusual  smell (not standard exhaust smell )from the exhaust before this happens.she says it struggles before it stalls. I haven`t had this happen to me ,and I do take it out.It starts but stalls again soon when stopping or slowing. We brought it to a local  bike mechanic who removed and cleaned the original petcock. Said it was not clogged or dirty. I am a  bad mechanic , but can do basic oil/air filter changes. I am going to try some of the tips on here , like testing the petcock and other checks to try to eliminate things.But if anyone has an idea where to start from my description I would appreciate it. Limited time, and tools  for this makes me ask if are there any recommended mechanics in the greater Waterbury, Connecticut area if we need one? There are some solutions here I would have a knowlegeable person do. I know  a Suzuki dealer within 15 miles , but  would much rather have a Raptor savvy guy.I`ve been there before and was not impressed, with other motorcycles. Thanks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 2007 S40 stalls. Bad smell from exhaust.
Reply #1 - 07/07/14 at 13:47:58

Flash lite,look In the exhaust.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #2 - 07/07/14 at 13:55:33

"[...] burning , plastic [...]"

That is often an indication of electrical problems, with hot wires melting insulation.

If it is causing the bike to stall, something may be affecting the ignition system. Have wires fallen on top of the hot engine? Maybe the rectifier isn't regulating voltage down properly?  Although it seems like a fuse should blow with that problem.

Is a hose, maybe the vacuum hose going to the petcock, getting against the engine and melting?

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Thomas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/07/14 at 16:58:33

Its not a melting issue.I did look around with a flashlight. Checked for anything obvious.  It seems like I`ve noticed the smell before its going to stall. burning plastic is probably not the best description.  More like an uneven burning of fuel or something. But its noticable usually  before it stalls. I`m riding behind it or it probably wouldn`t even get noticed.Drove it today about 10 miles and it ran fine with no hesitation or stalling. I even though maybe the kickstand was loose or it was being pushed down a little causing the stall. , but I did that and its different  Thanks

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 07/07/14 at 18:10:39

make sure your idle is nice and steady or at about 1200 rpm

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/07/14 at 18:10:41

This is probably way off base but could the brake be dragging at times, getting hot, making an odor and stalling the bike?

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/07/14 at 18:25:04

Test your petcock and check the vac line for gas.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/07/14 at 18:26:31

Is the Seafoam still in there?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 07/07/14 at 18:30:50

How much Seafoam did you use?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Thomas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/08/14 at 02:02:58

I used 2 ounces of  Seafoam a few weeks ago.. Added gas yesterday so probably quite diluted by now. Stalled before the Seafoam addition though. I will try to check the petcock vaccum as described here.The smell to me seems to be from the exhaust,and associated with the stalling. Like a new cars catylitic converter  Hard to start after stall  , but starts .  Idle seems fine , steady and even

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #10 - 07/08/14 at 03:27:06

Have you tried re-starting it in the prime position?  I had the same issue with my bike stalling and it was the petcock.  As for the smell, we are now use to the smells of catalytic converters but when the came out they stunk.  Now we can smell non converter and they stink.

IP Logged
Thomas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/10/14 at 01:49:05

Does the Raptor 660 fit a 2007 S40? I see the listing for the years it fits stops just short of it.?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/10/14 at 04:24:34

I don't know what you are looking at that lists the years....but what you want is the official Yamaha Petcock.  If you are looking at an eBay listing.....if it does NOT not have the Yamaha part number and show the petcock with the white box it comes in from Yamaha, look elsewhere.  You need to see the white box with the part number 5LP-24500-01.

http://www.ronayers.com/Search.aspx?k=5LP-24500-01

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Thomas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/10/14 at 11:25:51

Thanks Dave for the link.I`ll use it. I searched on Google.  I`m going to order  some parts and try to spend some time on checking everything out, and use some of the information I read here. Its been a great bike for usso far.I just need to learn to maintain it or find somebody in CT that knows these.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #14 - 07/10/14 at 19:55:15

engineer wrote on 07/07/14 at 18:10:41:
This is probably way off base but could the brake be dragging at times, getting hot, making an odor and stalling the bike?

This was my hunch too.

I had similar symptoms this year. Stalling, could not easily push the bike out of parking spots, smell of burning plastic while riding.
I loosened the rear brake cable, then it started acting right, but the rear brakes didn't work well (duh).
Turned out the rear break pedal return spring was not in place, it was just dangling around the motor mount. Whenever I would release the brake pedal, the weight of the pedal would  hold it  down just enough to pull the cable.

I suspect the burning plastic smell was coming from the pulley cushions.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:21:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2007 S40 stalls. Bad smell from exhaust.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.