Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper) (Read 2791 times)
nickythegreek

Re: nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper)
Reply #30 - 04/02/15 at 17:57:08

It came that way from Voodoo, so one would assume that the design was intentional. We discussed moving it but came to the conclusion that it would interfere anywhere along the frame. Changing it to flat stock might of gave us a position but decided not to pursue it any further.

I was hoping voodoo vintage would be at Giddy Up last week and already planned on trailering the bike down to Texas for the event to ride around Austin. That way I could pick their brain about it in person. Unfortunately they were not able to attend.

Dave wrote on 04/02/15 at 17:49:33:
Hey....I am not a hardtail guy....but it seems to me if that cross piece is in the way - you need to figure out a way to gracefully raise it up a little bit so the chain will clear.  Top part of chain goes over it....bottom chain goes under it.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #31 - 04/02/15 at 20:46:32

that looks like a lot of slack, especially with a hardtail (says the guy who never built one) would it still hit if you took up some of the slack, or do you need that much?

IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #32 - 04/03/15 at 04:50:54

So the piece that's giving you the problem is the round cross support and not the squared off peice that the downtube connects to? I'm using the standard 2 peice model 23 purchased 2/14 (since been changed to model 33 but David at Voodoo tells me the only thing he changed was the model #). On mine the cross supports weren't permanently welded into place they were squeezed in and just a little tap and they popped right out. The one in question was in place until just before I took that picture. The one on top with the seat mounts on it in the picture was the same thing. The chain could be tighter than in that picture. The only thing holding anything together there is gravity. There definitely needs to be a chain tensioner, either way it's a pretty long run and even if things were tight there's not a lot of room for error.

87 Savage currently receiving a total rebuild
79 XS 650 Special (stock)
  IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #33 - 04/06/15 at 19:34:35

Photo with chain installed.

skateboard wheel tensioner closeup.

I got the sprocket tensioner in today and hope to get it installed before next week.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #34 - 04/06/15 at 22:37:32

You are "supposed to" upgrade to an 18 inch rear wheel with the Voodoo kit... just saying... won't change where the chain runs, but it will keep you from grinding the lower rails away.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 04/07/15 at 06:39:42

So does it ruin the look if you weld a vertical strut to the top and bottom frame rails (on both sides) in front of the fender...then weld in the lower cross bar higher so it is between the top and bottom chain?  I believe that making a skateboard wheel spin at 10,000 rpm (or whatever speed) can't be a durable part for someone that likes to put miles on their bike like you do.  Riding home in a pouring rain might just wash all the grease out of the bearings and leave you stuck (pack an extra wheel and bearings in your luggage).

It also appears that you could raise that cross bar to the top of the frame and get the clearance you need to have the chain go under the cross bar....and then just mount the skateboard wheel to keep the chain from hitting the frame when the chain bounces - but not in continual contact with the chain.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #36 - 04/07/15 at 10:05:57

As long as that chain is, you are going to have to have a side to side "whip" guide somewhere along the middle or even attached to the bracket with your wheel.
If your chain slides a little sideways, as close tolerance as you have, it will hit your bracket or your frame.
Some kind of "U" channel, to keep it from shifting....

LOL... and that's my 2 cents...

Looking good! Keep it up! Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #37 - 04/07/15 at 13:14:27

The chain is currently 119 links (only removed 1).  The skateboard wheel will be replaced with this sprocket tensioner shortly. I just wanted to get the photos up so that everyone can see why it is a necessity with the voodoo vintage mk33.

I reamed out the holes in the floorboards yesterday with a small drill bit so that they fit the stock peg hex.  It took some time, but in the end was a pretty easy mod.  The shaft on them is a bit long which gives the left floorboard a bit to much rotational play for my liking.  I will probably design and 3d print some sort of shim to take up the slack.  The right one has more of a up and down play which makes the floorboard sit a bit on a downward slope and still has some rotational play in the horizontal axis like the left, but not nearly as bad.  I will probably try and solve it with a 3d printed shim as well. If I get a good result with the 3d printed route, I will upload the files so that others can use them in the future.

Left floorboard:

The floorboards are of course much thinner than the stock pegs which should actually alleviate some concern about dragging them around corners with the stock wheels/vv hardtail combo.  The bottom of the floorboards compared to the pegs probably add 1.5" of additional clearance.

WWW   IP Logged
skull thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 04/07/15 at 20:03:31

Nicky,
I'm looking for info on puttinga king and queen seat on a stock 96 savage

IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #39 - 04/08/15 at 10:04:29

skull,

That could be tricky due to the wiring and rectifier and weird shape of the stock fender.  You would probaby need to relocate some of that stuff and switch out to a different fender or have a king/queen built up from the stock pan.

WWW   IP Logged
skull thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 04/08/15 at 10:25:41

Any suggestions on what type of seat won't be has hard to put on I ride with my son onthe back and hate the stock seat.

IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #41 - 04/08/15 at 10:28:33

There aren't to many aftermarket seat choices out there.  The only one that I am aware of that is an easy install and will add some comfort (and maybe some lift for the passenger) would be by Corbin. It will run you a bit over $300 new.  Sometimes they popup in the marketplace on these forums.

Corbin S40 Seat

« Last Edit: 04/08/15 at 12:05:52 by nickythegreek »  
WWW   IP Logged
skull thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 04/08/15 at 10:34:27

OK thank hers a pic if what my bike looks like now but I'm changing the exhaust as we speek

920966_561370540562371_1456216184_o.jpg
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #43 - 04/08/15 at 12:14:04

Nice ride! that;s quite a paint job

IP Logged
skull thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 04/08/15 at 13:01:53

Thanks I'm putting an upswept slash cur exhaust on her as soon as parts come in

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:38:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.