Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper) (Read 2791 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: nickythegreek's s40
Reply #15 - 11/27/14 at 09:11:22

You made the right call.....

Out of necessity, two hour ferry line waits, to and from work on peak summer dates, I got a bike as they just ride to the front of the line.

I bought a new Rebel even before I took the class and got the license.

A stiff tepid rider at first, my paranoia kept me from hurt.
As I got a little more wear outside the center line of the tires, I began to become dissatisfied with the rebels ability.
After about a year I took it back and got the S40. Loved it from the first ride.
Now at 6 foot and 200 pounds, I am a wee bit bigger than you and doan look as cool as you on the thing.....
Which, bugs my wife more than me, as she tells me I should buy a bigger bike.....
I have considered it, but, after reading these guys who have had many bikes and why they are riding this gal, keeps my focus away from my uh, cool pride, and on my real needs  Grin
With some metzlers rain tires on her I ride her all year long up here in the pacific northwest.  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
DJGCWB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #16 - 12/03/14 at 15:38:58

Tuned in to this thread for sure!

2001 Suzuki LS650 Savage
CURRENTLY WORKING ON MODS
2,800 miles
  IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #17 - 03/31/15 at 10:01:05

Quick update.  My chopper has gone through a couple revisions during the building process.  Tried out several tanks, fenders and bars. Most of my parts came from lowbrow, tcbros and some swap meets.  I am running the stock rear tire still with a Norton fender that I need to polish up real nice.

Here are a couple of parts used in the build:
Fake Oil Tank for electronics
Ignition (installed on oil tank)
3 Position switch for headlights Low/Off/Hi (local auto store)
Biltwell Kung Fu grips
Battery box (narrowed to fit my EarthX Lithium)
Bungs for Tank and Seat
Gas Tank (I believe this was the one)
530 Gold Chain, 120 links
Pangea Speed Airflow Bars
80's Le Pera King/Queen from a swapmeet

We were able to use the stock rear brake cable and modify the stock throttle cable to work as well.

The voodoo vintage hardtail conversion is not for the faint of heart.  If you do not have welding/fab skills, you will be paying someone else to do some work (my wallet took a hit!). I had to have several things fabbed and some workarounds added.  For example, the voodoo vintage frame appears to get in the way of the chain.  We had to add a skateboard wheel to lift it up a bit.  I was not happy about this, as I do not really like the look of this normally and the sound it makes gets to me.  But my buddy found a great way to kind of hide it. In the end, we only ended up removing 1 link from the chain. We also needed to fab spacers for the rear wheel as well as a tab to hold the drum brake in place and a holder for the read brake cable.  We are adding a rear motor mount as well for added stability. The frame also gets in the way of where the muffler normally sits.  So I had to twist the header pipe out over the front peg a bit to get clearance for the dyna muffler (currently held on to the frame with a pipe clamp).

I got a chance to test her out at Giddy Up Texas and ran into some other issues that I need to sort out.  I can only give it about 1/4 throttle, anymore and the bike chokes and dies. I'm gonna do a complete dis-assembly of the carb and replace the spark plug this week. It has a down and dirty wiring job using alot of the original harness and 18ga wire.  

This month I will be tearing it all down again to have some welds finished up, painted and re-wired. I'll update this thread with more photos (including close-ups) of the bike.

In the shop, almost done.

Trying to fix my carb issues on the side of the highway.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 03/31/15 at 10:57:29

Welcome back....I wondered when you were going to come out of winter hibernation.

Your bike looks great, and most likely you just suffered some carb or wiring issues.  Tell us more about that cone air filter...is the rubber part closing off the vent at the top of the carb inlet....or is it the same filter that worked OK last year?

If the skateboard wheel is noisy - maybe a small sprocket would be a better solution.  Chains are really made to move around on sprockets where the rollers are doing the movement - not on a skateboard wheel where the sideplates are slapping into the plastic wheel.  Skateboard wheels might look cool on the show bikes....but your bike is ridden and needs something that is durable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #19 - 03/31/15 at 11:29:40

That's some pretty badass work nickythegreek.

Part of me want's to do some modding to my bike, another part says leave it stock. I'm split on it. :/ Right now I'm riding on the excuse "it's still under warranty". I'll probably ride that out for about another 6 months, after that, who know's what I'll come up with. I look forward to seeing what the future has in store for your bike.

Keep the rubber side down, man.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #20 - 03/31/15 at 12:12:25

What a great thread, Nicky. Your bike is looking fantastic  Cool I look forward to the updates.

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #21 - 04/01/15 at 13:52:19

Nicky,
The bike looks great. Love the seat!

I'm interested to know more about the issue with the chain hitting the frame in that hardtail. You're not the first person to mention running into Something like that. I recently emailed David at Voodoo Vintage and asked him about it. He responded and said that he wasn't aware of any issue. He said that he's sold 75 of them and wasn't aware of any problem. If that's true then there must be a few more people lurking around with some experience on this? I'm assuming that you have the standard VV hard tail for the savage and that you lined everything up right down the center as he recommends?

I had the engine in my bike with the stock wheels and once I realized they weren't going to work I took it apart again. Wish I'd tried to put a chain on it before I did.

87 Savage currently receiving a total rebuild
79 XS 650 Special (stock)
  IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #22 - 04/02/15 at 08:38:23

I am currently running the ls650 VV hardtail (Model 33) with stock wheels.  The clearance is low, but I have not yet run into any issues... time will tell!  

The issue with the chain is the bottom crossbar (which isnt in the 3d rendering on their site).  If you go below it, the chain hits 2 parts of the frame.  If you go above it, the chain only hits 1 part of the frame. When we ran into the issue, I started searching around for photos of other ls650 vv builds but only came across 1 that was finished and had the chain side viewable and they had the skateboard wheel.

I just purchased the sprocketed chain tensioner listed below to replace the skateboard wheel hack.

I also purchased some floorboards as well. I hope they will still have some room for my feet with the header tilted outwards to allow the dyna muffler to attach...

WELD ON CHAIN TENSIONER 530 SPROCKET
Universal Mini Floorboards

Here are some of the other VV builds from our forums.

Blueknight's Bobber 2.0 (with jockey shift?!)
Detuned (bored out, vs800 front end with 21" wheel, 18" rear)
ChrisTech (chain with tensioner)
FDM

Members doing VV chops with no dedicated threads:
Finney138
axa

WWW   IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Re: nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper)
Reply #23 - 04/02/15 at 11:23:24

I threw the engine back into my frame today and mocked something up with a spare rear wheel so I could see the chain clearance situation in person. Definetly not great. I'm kind of confused that David at Voodoo claims that he's not aware of it. Perhaps there was some confusion but I think I was pretty clear about it. I fully understand that these are not bolt on plug and play components however there's no way that rerouting the chain with a chain tensioner was the intended design. If he's really not aware of this problem he should be so that he can fix it. I will try and explain it to him again.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 04/02/15 at 11:33:25

The chain interference, too short backbone, too short rear stretch, is why mine is still a swingarm bike. The Ryca rigid conversion looks okay, the VV one looks great, both are too little.

If either one would make their kit long enough to run a 4.75 gallon Paughco FXR Mustang tank, and a real seat (12x13 inch K model sprung solo or similar instead of a Schwinn bicycle seat)...

Nicky, bike looks great so far. Feel free to truck it over if you get in a bind, I'll call in sick from my town job so we can finish it up.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #25 - 04/02/15 at 14:20:52

FDM wrote on 04/02/15 at 11:23:24:
I threw the engine back into my frame today and mocked something up with a spare rear wheel so I could see the chain clearance situation in person. Definetly not great. I'm kind of confused that David at Voodoo claims that he's not aware of it. Perhaps there was some confusion but I think I was pretty clear about it. I fully understand that these are not bolt on plug and play components however there's no way that rerouting the chain with a chain tensioner was the intended design. If he's really not aware of this problem he should be so that he can fix it. I will try and explain it to him again.

(1) A picture is worth a thousand words, don't explain it, send him pics
(2) is the frame designed with the chain conversion in mind? If so, it's hard to understand him not being aware of the problem, since you always mock a build up when designing a weld on kit for an existing model

IP Logged
dhsmithh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/02/15 at 14:42:05

this thing is awesome! love it man

IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #27 - 04/02/15 at 17:02:47

Thanks Art, I just got it together with a chain today and took a couple of pictures. I will include them in the future.

image_228.jpg

IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #28 - 04/02/15 at 17:14:10

Your hardtail is missing the lower support bar (my fender is attached to it) that mine came with that causes my interference. Did you get the 2 piece "assembled" or the pro builders voodoo hardtail?

IMG_0431_040215_083724_PM.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 04/02/15 at 17:49:33

Hey....I am not a hardtail guy....but it seems to me if that cross piece is in the way - you need to figure out a way to gracefully raise it up a little bit so the chain will clear.  Top part of chain goes over it....bottom chain goes under it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:33:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.