Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone in md help me get my savage running (Read 115 times)
justink91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

baltimore md
Anyone in md help me get my savage running
07/07/14 at 02:24:28

Need help it wont start its killing me

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Anyone in md help me get my savage running
Reply #1 - 07/07/14 at 02:33:23

Do you have a tank full of fresh gasoline?

Got to start with the very first thing folks do to make their lives miserable, bad gas/no gas.

The second thing they do to make their lives hard is NOT HAVE A FRESHLY CHARGED, 100% fully charged battery.   Oddest thing, a Savage will still roll the engine over with a partially flat battery at a low enough voltage that IT WILL NOT FIRE the ignition module (the black box) to make a spark at the plug.  

Drives folks plumb nuts, that one.     Roll Eyes

Wink

Next, you need to ANSWER these questions and then provide all the rest of the normal what year model, when did it quit running, how long did it sit non-running sort of informational stuff that folks are going to want to know.

They will likely want to know if you are running a stock vac actuated petcock or if you have gone over to the better working Raptor petcock.  

Why?   Because a bad stock vac petcock can all by its lonesome cause all sorts of odd behaviors, including "screw you I won't start because I'm on strike and I will not provide you any gasoline at all".   Plumb Unionist acting stock Suzuki vac petcocks, drive them newbies straight up the walls they do.

You can beat this unionism very temporarily by putting the petcock in the Prime position and leaving it there until your Raptor comes in.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/07/14 at 04:34:51

Spell it out. Details, give us details.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #3 - 07/07/14 at 07:33:41

Air, spark, and gas are all she needs.

If you're breathing beside the bike, your bike has air.

Spark sparks best with a good battery, as Oldfeller mentions. You could verify spark by removing the spark plug, grounding the threads against the engine, and watching for spark as you turn it over.  She also might need a new spark plug, new wire, new somethin'or'nother, but the easiest, most common cure is just plenty of juice from the battery.

Gas should be fresh as underwear. Getting gas from the tank to carb is problematic with the Savage petcock's known problems, as Oldfeller mentions. You could also have some gas delivery problems within the carb itself, mostly caused by skanky old gasoline and the nasty corn squeezin's they put in gas these days.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/07/14 at 08:09:35

Won't start?...

Something's wrong... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/07/14 at 09:07:39

A little more information would be helpful.

Did it start yesterday.....or has it been siting for a year or more?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justink91
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

baltimore md
Reply #6 - 07/07/14 at 17:05:47

1997 five speed savage. Ive installed a raptor petcock, jardine muffler, cone air filter. It has the oil leak they are known to get but i just wipe the oil off fpr now. Ive tried new gas, new spark plugs and  new lithium battery. It would crank but not turn over. was running  last summer til mid winter. Started to have to pop the clutch to get it started . Now the lights wont turn on so it might be electrical. I might have to take it to a shop which i DO NOT want to do.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/07/14 at 17:55:49

Do the easy stuff first.  Do you have spark?  Pull the plug wire and stick it onto a spark plug and ground it against the cylinder or something in the shade and see if there is a spark.

If it is producing a spark, shoot some ether into the carb and see if it will fire up on that.  If it starts on ether and then quits you know you have a fuel problem.

If you don't have a spark try jumping with a battery known to have a good charge.

And you'll undoubtedly get lots of good tips from the knowledgeable guys on this forum.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/08/14 at 04:44:22

justink91 wrote on 07/07/14 at 17:05:47:
It would crank but not turn over.

On this forum....."crank" and "turn over" mean the same thing....that the starter engages and turns the engine over.

If the engine does not run, start or fire once the starter has engaged and is turning the engine over......then use those terms.

This has caused a lot of confusion in the past, and resulted in good advice being given for the wrong issue.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/08/14 at 05:59:50

No lights? First clue.check battery. It's GOTTA be 12.5or better. Check spark leave the plug in the motor. Use another plug in the wire.once you prove spark,shoot ether in the intake.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 07/08/14 at 06:45:18

Getting to know your newbie

It is often worthwhile to check the newbie's last 25 posts in order to judge their level of knowledge, tools, skills etc in formulating your replies to them.

Here you go .....

1997 five speed savage. Ive installed a raptor petcock, jardine muffler, cone air filter. It has the oil leak they are known to get but i just wipe the oil off fpr now. Ive tried new gas, new spark plugs and  new lithium battery. It would crank but not turn over. was running  last summer til mid winter. Started to have to pop the clutch to get it started . Now the lights wont turn on so it might be electrical. I might have to take it to a shop which i DO NOT want to do.
Reply  Quote Notify of replies  

2       General Category / Rubber Side Down! / Anyone in md help me get my savage running
on: Yesterday at 05:24:28
Need help it wont start its killing me

3       General Category / Rubber Side Down! / Re: bobber wont start anyone live in maryland
on: 08/23/13 at 08:20:58
I've put a jardine exhaust on cone air filter Did the white spacer mod put new bigger jets in cleaned the carb trouble trickle charged the battery put raptor petcock on changed the spark plug. It ran for a few months fine then a few weeks ago just won't start. Everytime I try to start it sounds like it sounds like it wants to but won't kick over. Thanks for the replies

4       General Category / Rubber Side Down! / bobber wont start anyone live in maryland
on: 08/21/13 at 12:41:43
Anyone live in Baltimore Maryland willing to come check it out I've tried everything

5       General Category / Rubber Side Down! / Re: trailer light as brake light now wont start
on: 04/23/13 at 16:43:43
its actually been running well the brake light just stays on and doesnt get brighter when i push the brakes though.

6       General Category / Rubber Side Down! / Re: trailer light as brake light now wont start
on: 04/18/13 at 23:52:10
i was told my fuses were not blown by the hardware guy but low and behold i put the new fuses in at it started right up!!! i was so relieved the only problem now is the brake light is always on so im going to double check the wiring tomorrow. i also grounded the stock light to the bolt mounts. thank you for your reply i appreciate it!

7       General Category / Rubber Side Down! / trailer light as brake light now wont start
on: 04/18/13 at 18:58:17
so i took my back fender off with the turn signals, i put the rectifier in the air box. the electrical piece the battery terminals are connected to that was on the fender i attached to a piece of sheetmetal to the frame.
my question is that when i wired the three wires from
the bike to the two wire brake light they came on and then they slowly dimmed out. now im not getting any power at all aftrr i trickle charged my battery so i dont believe its the battery but it could be, also the fuses did not blow out im so frustrated because its getting to be really warm
out!!

So, he's hacked up his bike electrically and modded lots of bits and pieces on it.

Good luck with this one ....   if you live in MD go help him.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/08/14 at 07:23:59

GEEZ, I thought everyone knew to go back to the last thing they DID to something if it WAS working and now it's NOT..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:25:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone in md help me get my savage running

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.