Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vice grips, proper wrench, WHATEVAHH! (Read 69 times)
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Vice grips, proper wrench, WHATEVAHH!
07/03/14 at 16:05:02

Well, I'm doing gut surgery on the clutch side.

Cam chain adjuster is at 0.690" or 17.5mm. Miles are 13,400. So I'm going to sew her up for now and get her running again, so I can take my m/c endorsement driver's exam next week. Then I'll change the oil and install a new cam chain adjuster from verslagen1, whom I've just emailed an inquiry.

My drain plug has been modded by some knucklehead with vice grips or a pipe wrench.   A six sided 13mm wrench, sort of pounded on, was able to purchase enough grip to remove it.

In times like this, curses are inadequate, and must revert to the Shakespearean Insult Generator.

Thou currish full-gorged popinjay!  Would thou wert clean enough to spit upon!  Angry

Shakespearean Insulter
www.pangloss.com/seidel/Shaker/

(and the cam chain adjuster)

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Vice grips, proper wrench, WHATEVAHH!
Reply #1 - 07/03/14 at 19:33:08

It's a good thing you bought this bike, it would have died and gone for parts if it had stayed in that guy's hands.  I saw the chain guard picture, looked like he chewed the cutout into the guard while it was still on the bike with a pair of dull tin snips.  

Hey, good luck on passing that exam!  Please keep us posted.  Don't worry if you mess up parts of the test, it works on a point system that allows for errors in the different maneuvers.  So if you flatten a cone or something just keep going and finish each step.  You'll make it.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
NickGann

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/03/14 at 19:39:33

Those courses are so much fun...if you have a dank teacher.

As far as the bike, it'll be your best first bike ever, tons of awesomeness to learn from and a solid instructor for basics.

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #3 - 07/05/14 at 05:28:52

I wrote verslagen1, and he thinks it is ok to run until the next oil change, which is probably all I'll ride anyway for the rest of summer/fall. This autumn, I'll send him my old one, and get his expert modifications into my bike for next year's riding season.

I rounded off the abused oil plug just a little more re-installing it. I suppose it'll take vice grips this next time. But then I'll have a new one to put back in.

Looking at my abused rear axle bolt, I cannot get a 17mm wrench on it either. Apparently, vice grips were the former owners' tool of choice. So I'm going to get a new one.

Who knows, maybe the dealer rounded off these bolt heads too. My best friend had a dealer put the oil bolt back into the oil pan of his truck and strip the threads completely with an air wrench.  Angry

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:25:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Vice grips, proper wrench, WHATEVAHH!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.