Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Initial setting for air mixture screw? (Read 160 times)
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Initial setting for air mixture screw?
07/03/14 at 15:37:31

I set it for 1 1/2 turns out. Is this right? Also checked the jets: pilot is 50 and main is 155 or might be 55, it's hard to read. Does have a fishtail torpedo muffler with baffle and stock air cleaner. Are these the stock jets?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Initial setting for air mixture screw?
Reply #1 - 07/03/14 at 18:15:37

Nope, not stock. What year?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/03/14 at 18:34:09

1 1/2 turns is typically where I set it when installing a new or rebuilt carb on a bike.  It is a good starting point.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/03/14 at 20:20:01

I never adjust anything without first counting the turns to close. That way I can always get back to square one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #4 - 07/04/14 at 09:24:53

1 1/2 turns out worked perfect for me

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/04/14 at 13:04:28

Set for 1 1/2 turns out after cleaning carburetor. Fired it up and seems to run perfectly with no backfiring. Next I need to fix the fishtail torpedo muffler leak at the slip on connection with probably a 2" muffler exhaust clamp ( I'll measure the size first) maybe cut a shim out of aluminum can. Have to cut some slots in the muffler exhaust pipe for compression fit when tightening exhaust clamp. Then see if chrome exhaust shields will fit on. Need to find a 1" handlebar to replace these ape hangers where cables and hydraulic hose are not long enough. Need a left front foot peg. See if I can figure out how the toolkit bracket plate goes on. Speedometer cable. Odds and ends but this project bike is definitely getting there. Thanks for all the help.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/04/14 at 15:31:43

An "initial" setting is only the starting point to get the bike running.  Once the bike is started and run around the block to warm the engine up, you should be adjusting the screw while the engine is idling.  You screw the mixture screw in slowly until you hear the engine begin to slow down, then you back it out to find the highest rpm.....and if you keep turning the screw out the idle should begin to slow down.  The idle speed while adjusting the screw should not be too fast - it is easier to hear the difference with a somewhat slow idle speed.  This is one time when for a short period of time a little bit slow of an idle speed is OK.....not Harley slow....but Suzuki Savage slow.  Mikuni claims that the best idle should occur at 1.5 turns, and that if your smoothest idle occurs with more than 2 turns you should install a larger pilot jet, and if you can turn the idle mix screw all the way in without the engine slowing down - then the pilot jet is too big.

Once you have the correct setting of the idle mixture screw, then adjust the idle speed back up and go for a ride.  You can then make some adjustments in 1/8 turn increments if you get too much popping.  Each time you open the screw you are making the mixture richer, and it may have a negative affect on your fuel mileage.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/05/14 at 06:48:34

Appreciate the carburetor tuning procedure Dave. I'm not far enough along to ride it yet so firing it up in the shop is all I can do right now and it seems to run pretty good for now. I'll follow you tuning procedure when I finally get it where I can ride it. Ive got to get some handlebars that will work, fix exhaust leak, and put stuff back together which is really not that much. Has an out of state title which means I have to first get a Texas safety inspection and insurance before I can even go to the courthouse to attempt title transfer. They make it so difficult. Allot of times I' ll buy these project bikes off of craigslist that haven't ran in years for $500-$600. Bring um back to life and resale for small profit. Usually very little is wrong with them. It's a hobbie for me but this one just may be a keeper! Years ago I had a Yamaha TT 500 thumper and I've always been on the lookout for one of these non running Suzuki Savage bikes dirt cheap at the right price. Thrilled to find one locally here in Houston

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:24:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Initial setting for air mixture screw?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.