BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Kowasaki Gang Invasion
07/02/14 at 19:42:30

Just as I got my Savage top end torn down to the oil plug, a big kowasaki gang, with some caprine camp followers, all looking to score some grass and tasty legumes, showed up at my door.  Cheesy

kowasaki_herd.jpeg

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Re: Kowasaki Gang Invasion
Reply #1 - 07/02/14 at 19:44:42

Here's my Scottish Highland bull. The curve of the handlebars kind of got in the way, unfocused, in the foreground.  He was moving fast, chasing the girls, so I had to snap a picture fast.

bull.jpeg

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #2 - 07/02/14 at 19:51:04

I have to make a run into town tomorrow and get a new tube of goop. I punctured the metal seal of an unopened tube, and it was already hardened. Soft in the middle, but can't squeeze any out. How does that happen? I had bought it in the winter of 2012 for the infamous Oldsmobuick 3.8L lower intake manifold gasket swap, so it's only 2 years old. Shoot.

The old steel plug was in the hole, loose as a goose. How can a mechanic not know to put goop in it? There's a groove there, just begging to to filled with something!

I actually like the old metal plug better. It won't get hardened like the new rubber part, which I did order.  I suppose I'll put in the new part, but I'm keeping the old.

I think, while I have the cam chain open to view, I'll look at the tensioner on the clutch side, adjust valves, check compression, and change the oil while I'm at it too. At 13,000+ miles, the tensioner should be extended pretty far.

oil_plug_teardown.jpeg

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/02/14 at 22:00:49

Heifer of a problem... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 07/03/14 at 14:22:30

Ok, I'm all confused!  I was looking for some Kawasaki motorcycles!   Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/05/14 at 04:27:25

Beautiful Scottie, so how goes the exploratory surgery?   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #6 - 07/05/14 at 05:10:57

As of 10pm last night, I got the bike put back together, and I'm running into town later this morning for the correct kind of oil.

After reading the oil post here, I got online and AutoZone said they had the Mobil 1 recommended.  When I got there, I bought Mobil 1 10W40 Extended Miles, the only Mobil 1 in that weight that they had.  But after more reading, I figure it might have stuff in it that ruins the wet clutch, so I'm going with the exact names recommended, and I have the whole list of oil types now.

I wish I could just use the 15W40 diesel type oil I put in my John Deere's Yanmar 3-banger.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/06/14 at 03:49:48

BalingWire wrote on 07/05/14 at 05:10:57:
I wish I could just use the 15W40 diesel type oil I put in my John Deere's Yanmar 3-banger.

You could.....Rotella T 15W-40 would work fine in both.  I use it in my New Holland diesel tractor, my lawn equipment.....and my motorcycle.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #8 - 07/06/14 at 04:26:19

Yeah!  I could use the Rotella in my JD.  An other advantage is that it is probably cheaper than the JD branded stuff too. JD is sort of like Harley in the marketing dept.  I'm surprised they don't sell JD toilet paper at the dealer.

...oh wait...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/06/14 at 09:15:57

The backhoe gets Rotella,so does the pickup. If you want to use the old metal plug I suppose you could. It's the same size and shape as when it was new ..
I'd expect the cam chain tensioner to be done..
Good looking bull,,,and that's no bull

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 07/09/14 at 22:05:21

You did put an extension on the cam-chain tensioner while it was apart ?

About 13000 is when I looked at mine for the first time too .   It was almost fully extended .  So I welded another bolt hole on it and put a lighter spring in it .   When I checked it at 25,000 it had not worn hardly any more at all.  Smiley    But I put a new chain at that point anyway .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #11 - 07/10/14 at 04:58:35

MMRanch wrote on 07/09/14 at 22:05:21:
You did put an extension on the cam-chain tensioner while it was apart ?  

I checked it; the tensioner is extended 17.5mm. I wrote Versy and he concurred with my opinion that it'll probably be good for another oil change.  Whether or not I get to the oil change miles, I'll ask Versy modify it this fall when I park the bike for the winter.  I would weld on another hole myself, but I really like that groove and pin setup that keeps the engine from being ruined, and I don't have a mill to do that kind of work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:21:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Kowasaki Gang Invasion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.