Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
If I'm fixing it, may as well mod it (Read 166 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
If I'm fixing it, may as well mod it
07/02/14 at 19:02:05

So I spilled the bike today.  First ride back after 9 months, I was taking it to get the inspection renewed.  Dummy me didn't check the tire pressure...   Embarrassed  Got about a block away from the house before I had to make a small swerve.  As soon as I made the input, she slid right out from under me.  The aftermath:

I decided to check the tire pressure when I got home.  25 rear, and 15 front.  Shocked  Destroyed the handlebar, throttle grip, right rear turn signal, and front right peg.  The exhaust, the right rear shock, and the right mirror seemed to get a little road rash, but I'm not too worried about them.  Might replace the mirror, but at this point I'm focused on the important stuff to ride again.

So, I come to you all with the question:  Does anybody suggest any changes to these components?  Are there different pegs I could get that might be cheaper/easier to find than stock?  Suggested rear turn signals?  The stock bars seem to work fine for me, but I'm curious what other people might run, especially if it's a cheap alternative.  If I have to replace it, I may as well keep my mind open to suggestions.

FWIW, Duluth firehose pants really saved my tushy.  Grade A+ top notch.  Got a couple scrapes and tears, but really held up to the skid.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: If I'm fixing it, may as well mod it
Reply #1 - 07/02/14 at 19:54:00

Good thing you weren't going fast! Bikes are easier to fix than body parts.
Smiley

IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #2 - 07/02/14 at 23:43:46

Glad to hear you're okay!  The Duluth ads on TV are great!

Harley pegs are cheap and readily available.  I've seen some threads on here of how people have made them fit our bikes.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 07/03/14 at 00:11:32

I dunno, do you really need to mod it? It's a good looking bike, the market place should turn up an indicator, in fact the post 2007 ones seem to be hard to get, bars, if necessary, can be brought and I'm sure some  Bobber or Modder will have foot pegs. Good to know you seem unhurt, except perhaps for pride.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 07/03/14 at 09:43:19

Thanks for your condolences.  I just wish bike parts were as easily paid for as body parts.  If I break an arm, I don't pay out of pocket.  The army fixes me up for, and it hurts for a while.   Roll Eyes

JC, I'm not saying I have to mod it.  I simply see it as an opportunity, and I'm curious if anybody has any suggestions.

Sheriff, thanks for the reminder on the harley pegs.  I'm thinking about those or kuryakyn mini boards.  I'm curious what I'll do for my handlebars, though.  Again, I'm just curious about my options, what people have done before, etc.

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 07/03/14 at 09:55:34

Harley Davidson FL handlebar on both of my Savages.

...in expensive fancy 2 inch riser extensions set into the stock base risers.

...in 6 inch cast aluminum dogbone risers set into the stock base risers.

Pretty sure I have a stock right rear floating around. Need the whole assembly or just the rubber base section if I can find the thing (meaning haven't used it for target practice yet)?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #6 - 07/03/14 at 11:30:26

Thanks, WD.  Those look good, but might be a bit wide for my build.  Any 1" handlebar should work, right?  Do I drill the handlebars to accept the the switches, or does it matter?

Just the rubber would do if you can find it.  The rest of the light is barely touched.  Actually, I need to look for a pair of those rubbers...  The other side is dry rotted, held together with gorilla glue, and cracking again. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #7 - 07/04/14 at 09:29:38

Sheriff41 wrote on 07/02/14 at 23:43:46:
Glad to hear you're okay!  The Duluth ads on TV are great!

Harley pegs are cheap and readily available.  I've seen some threads on here of how people have made them fit our bikes.

I put Harley Pegs on mine, you'll just need to make sure the holes are large enough and will probably need some washers to tighten them up.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/04/14 at 09:48:46

HondaLavis wrote on 07/03/14 at 11:30:26:
Thanks, WD.  Those look good, but might be a bit wide for my build.  Any 1" handlebar should work, right?  Do I drill the handlebars to accept the the switches, or does it matter?

Just the rubber would do if you can find it.  The rest of the light is barely touched.  Actually, I need to look for a pair of those rubbers...  The other side is dry rotted, held together with gorilla glue, and cracking again. Roll Eyes

yep, 1"
most just file the pin off the control, easier to move around, but clamps up fine.

WWW   IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #9 - 07/04/14 at 10:41:18

I'm happy nobody got hurt.

Does anybody put "TireCheck" Tire Pressure Valve Stem Caps on their cycle?

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Bob Davis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/04/14 at 23:18:10

I have the factory handlebars off of my 2002 collecting dust in my garage.  I’m in Ohio and have no idea what it would take to ship them.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/04/14 at 23:34:07

spiral wrap brown paper from 1 end to the other and wrap some cardboard on the ends then stick a stamp on it.

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 07/05/14 at 04:37:07

+1 to what other's said glad you are ok, the bike can be fixed easily.  Also glad you are home, have fun modding now  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #13 - 07/05/14 at 21:31:13

Baling wire,  those caps are a brilliant idea.  Looks like a good investment.

You guys are awesome.  I've had at least a handful of people offer to help.  Not every community is like this,  and I feel lucky.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:30:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › If I'm fixing it, may as well mod it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.