Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My first flat tire experience (first bike also) (Read 85 times)
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
My first flat tire experience (first bike also)
07/02/14 at 15:41:28

(2012 S40 with 3200 mi.) Riding to breakfast with my wife as passenger, I notice a extremely slight handling difference about 3-4 miles from the café. I didn't think to look at the tire then, but when we came out of the café, the bike was sitting on the rim of the front tire. I pushed it across the street to a convenience store air pump. It wouldn't hold air very long, so at approx. 10-15 psi. I used Seal "N" Air until the foam appeared to stop flowing in the clear discharge tube. Instructions say to ride the bike immediately for about 2 miles and the foam will spread, air pressure will increase gradually and the leak will seal. In about 4 miles in was almost on the rim again, so we stopped.

We have Progressive Insurance ( first usage) with towing so we called. They contacted several towing services from their inventory to procure the shortest arrival time. Most were 3 hours. The selected provider said 1 1/2 hours. Four hours later they arrived having had to return to the shop because they forgot the straps. The 86 year old owner and his 20 something son-in-law said they had never loaded a "sickle" which was evident. I had to instruct them to relocate the straps forward of the front attachment location on the "sickle" to keep it from moving backward and to relocate the hooks to slotted holes on the truck deck or stake pockets, as the son-in-law's rail attachment would allow the hooks to slide. They thought it was a great idea and a revelation to not ratchet down  with the kick stand touching the deck.

We were delivered 12 miles to our home, where I removed the tire, picked up a spare tube and rim liner and drove to the Suzuki dealer for repair. It cost $23 and the cause of the puncture ( a 1/4" slit in the sidewall) is unknown.

Observations:

1. My wife is still a great traveling partner (44 yrs.) No complaining and two hours into the event, grabbed the toilet paper and hand sanitizer from the tail-bag and headed for the women's restroom/woods a half a city block away.

2. Progressive worked well ( not the tow service) as they communicated with us at least 6 times during the wait, either an actual person or an automated call- giving updated ETAs. No out-of-pocket, as Progressive is billed directly.

3. Have spare tubes and liners on-hand all the time, particularly on long trips, makes so much sense; avoid down time.  

Questions:

1. I've not read or spoken to anyone that would recommend changing a rear tire on the road. But the front,- many conflicting takes. Some say you're not a true biker dude if you can't change/ repair a tire on the road. However, I talked to a HD mechanic, who said" definitely no"- if you bend a spoke, you've just created an expensive, more involved repair.

Do I have the best compromise presently, with towing and spares?

If I'm not going to repair on the side of the road and I have towing, is removing the tire and taking it to a shop (leaving the bike) worth considering?

This time an air compressor was just across the street, but didn't make much of a difference. Is a hand pump or a 12 volt compressor worth the cost and space it will use on the bike?

Anyone have experience using Seal"N"Air?

Rick in Indiana

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: My first flat tire experience (first bike also
Reply #1 - 07/02/14 at 16:00:40

Rick, the front tire is easily removed, but be careful to not lay it on the rotor. Most shops give a break on price if you buy their tires and remove the wheel yourself. Also be careful to NOT squirt your brake calipers out while the wheel is off. Putting the wheel back on should be done carefully with no binding or skewing of parts. And check your brake pads while you're there.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/02/14 at 16:16:46

Flats on a street bike don't happen too often... so, I wouldn't be worried about it...
If I were taking a trip lasting several days,... in a remote area, I might think about carrying a rear tube (as they are less common)...
Generally I'd just rely on your Progressive towing package...

When I rode dirt... I'd have at least one flat per month...
Riding street,.. I've had 2 flats in the last 50,000 miles...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/03/14 at 04:21:40

The actual pavement has very little debris that can cause a flat.  Shoulders, medians, berms, any area that is not exposed to traffic can have lots of flat causing pokey stuff......avoid pulling off the road into these areas and you will greatly reduce your chance of flats.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/03/14 at 19:15:40

On the wildguzzi forum some of the guys say they use that product called Slime in their inner tubes.  I always thought it was for tubeless tires only and would not work in inner tubes but some of them claim it works and has saved them a lot of grief.  

I'm not going to let all the air out of my newly mounted and balanced tires so I can squirt some slime in there but the next time I am inflating a tire I think I will try it.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/04/14 at 03:39:34

Slime does work in off-road tires.  My lawn equipment and tractor have lots of it in the tires - the Locust thorns can put lots of small holes in my tires.  I also have it in the front of my Cafe' bike, as I got a piece of glass in the tire when on the Dragon run 2 years ago.....we were not sure if the glass went deep enough to hit the tube.....and I had several days of riding that needed to be done!

I know the Slime works well in tubeless tires, and it also can work in tubed tires as well.  I don't know if it is good to put it in your tubes on a street bike....some folks do and have good success.  It is currently in the front tire of my bike.....and hasn't caused any issues.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:26:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My first flat tire experience (first bike also)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.