Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2003 ls650 top end tick/click keeps pace w/ rpms (Read 102 times)
GeorgePianalto
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2003 ls650 top end tick/click keeps pace w/ rpms
07/01/14 at 20:20:50

My 2003 savage, has 4,700 miles, bought with a ticking/clicking noise that keeps pace with the rpms of the engine.  Tore down after research and found the cam chain tensioner at the 18mm limit point.  Removed the cam chain tensioner and sent to Verslagen for modification, VERY NICE WORK by the way, but after re-installation, fresh oil, still  have strong ticking/clicking noise.  Using an automotive stethoscope, seems to be isolated in the top end of the engine, ie. the head! The bike has been laid over, before I purchased it, as noticeable by scratched windshield, and other minor markings, concerned laid over and left running, possibly starving the cam for oil???  Looking for any good help before tearing into this thing again....I appreciate any help and I do have the Clymer Manual for this critter....THANKS!!!!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: 2003 ls650 top end tick/click keeps pace w/ rp
Reply #1 - 07/01/14 at 20:55:59

Have you tried adjusting the valves? If the tensioner was already out that far in only 4700 miles, it was probably abused or run almost out of oil. Chances are the valves need adjusting.

IP Logged
GeorgePianalto
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/02/14 at 21:02:11

Will do, and will
holler back....Thanks.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 07/02/14 at 21:08:19

GeorgePianalto wrote on 07/02/14 at 21:02:11:
Will do, and will
holler back....Thanks.

Adjusting the valves has some tricks to it. It's not hard, but the first time is a couple hours easy. Check the technical documents if you plan on doing them yourself. A shop will charge about 100.00 to do it (at least in AZ).

IP Logged
Gowor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poland
Reply #4 - 07/03/14 at 00:32:51

It depends on how loud it is. I had the same noise, everytime the engine warmed up. Adjusting the valve clearance can help, but my engine was ticking regardless of how I set it.

I recently had valve seals and guides replaced (+ cylinder boring and a new piston, as the engine was drinking a lot of oil), and since then the noise is mostly gone. I can hear it only on higher RPM now, but never at idle.

You can also check if the decompression lever has enough free play.

But I guess this is a noisy engine, so some level of ticking and clicking is normal.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 07/03/14 at 17:13:49

[quote author=624A524A57250 link=1404271250/0#4 date=1404372771
But I guess this is a noisy engine, so some level of ticking and clicking is normal. [/quote]

Yes it is! I'm getting used to it and not thinking something is fatally wrong every time I hear a tick, clack, knock, rattle and boom.   Cheesy

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #6 - 07/03/14 at 17:57:08

I concur with S-P; adjust the valves. It'll probably fix the problem, and if it doesn't, you're one more step in the process to identify it.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:26:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2003 ls650 top end tick/click keeps pace w/ rpms

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.