Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Highway Pegs Won't Stay Tight... (Read 155 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Highway Pegs Won't Stay Tight...
07/01/14 at 10:03:02

I just got a pair of highway pegs (http://www.amazon.com/Drag-Specialties-Foot-Rubber-Inlay/dp/B000GU5IUQ/ref=pd...) and I am having trouble getting them to stay on the stock S40 1" engine guard.  The pegs are universal and have brackets for a 1" bar.  I tightened them down to what I felt was pretty darn tight just shy of gouging my chrome bar and when I rest my feet on them with normal pressure they start to twist and don't hold snug.  

I tried;
a) a little electrical tape on the bar to try and add some grip and
b) a piece of an old bicycle tube on the bar to try and add some grip
c) putting it on with nothing to see if the above were causing the slippage

...and they still seem to be slipping.

I am attaching a pic to show you they type of attachment and the little contoured gripper it comes with.

Any suggestions?  I don't want to wrench down on the bar so hard is bends it or gouges the chrome as if I am not happy with these I may want to remove them and not have my engine guard all marred up.

Thanks!

IMG-20140701-02068.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Re: Highway Pegs Won't Stay Tight...
Reply #1 - 07/01/14 at 10:11:53

Sneak in a small sheet of aluminum gripper shim. A can of barley pop should do. See if that works.

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 07/01/14 at 10:13:46

I just read through the reviews on Amazon and a lot of people have the same problem.
This isn't going to help, but the way that clamp is designed, I don't see how it's going to grab the bar tight enough to stay put unless you really crank it down. And I'm pretty sure that is going to ding up the chrome on the bar.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 07/01/14 at 11:01:58

Thanks folks.  Yeah, the reviews made me debate purchasing but they were cheap, so oh well.  For $20 I figured I would give it a try since I was not sure if I even wanted highway bar pegs to begin with.

I figure if a stiff piece of thick bicycle tube (cleaned with alcohol to remove any slippery) won't work I don't know what else will that wouldn't mar up the chrome like the reviews said happened to others.  

Any suggestions/pics of highway bars that you all use and that stay put...and aren't $100.

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 07/01/14 at 17:00:59

Welllll.... So, if you crank them down on the bars and it mars the bar where it is cranked down and that is where they will stay, who's gonna see the marred chrome if it is under the pegs anyway?  Just sayin'.....

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 07/01/14 at 19:02:35

I have the same ones on the wife's bike... I just cranked the hell out of them, and they stayed.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #6 - 07/02/14 at 02:59:08

I'd remove the "grippers" and replace it with a piece of tube approx. 7/8" long and let the clamp hold it in place.  May even put some double sided sticky tape inside the clamp just to be sure.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/02/14 at 05:16:26

Place the pegs where you want them, then place a piece of masking tape on the bar up against the clamp and peg mount....then place an index mark so you can bolt it back in exactly the same place.  Then remove the clamps, and place some JB Weld on the bar and install the clamp.  The JB weld should be under the flat clamp portion - it won't do much where the notched grippers are.  Tighten the clamps down and let the JB Weld ooze out - then remove the tape and clean up the excess JB weld with some acetone.....and let it sit 24 hours to cure.  You can ride the bike while it is curing.....just don't stick your feet on the pegs until it has time to cure.

If you want to remove the clamps in the future - it should be possible as the smooth chrome doesn't give the JB Weld a lot of "tooth" to stick permanently.

Might work.......

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/02/14 at 10:46:41

I'd alcohol or Chemtool clean surfaces,lightly sand where they meet and put some medium Locktite in it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #9 - 07/06/14 at 16:46:04

I had the same pegs and the same problems.  Got some Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs and never looked back.  The offset is key, to me, for a comfortable ride.  The ones you have, and that I had, had me feeling like my knees were in my chest, and I'm not tall, even for a girl.  I feel like, with the new ones, I don't even need forward controls to be happy.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 07/17/14 at 06:35:31

Ok...I decided that the cheapo pegs just weren't cutting it and as 'ihasabike' noted I just didn't feel stretched out (I am 5'6"...add an inch or two for shoes or boots) and I was tired of fighting the slippage.

So...I got lucky and won a poker run last weekend and had the 'play' money to go ahead and get something different. I got the 'K' dually offset (not the longhorns) and got them installed last night and here are my observations;
a) They clamp on well. I did a 'temporary' install for today's test run but overall I am impressed.
b) Seem to be well made.
c) A little bigger than I expected but again these are made for a primary target market of much bigger bikes.
d) I used them on the way to work this morning and it feels comfortable...a little odd...but comfortable. I kinda feel like I am doing something wrong having my feet up there but maybe I'll get used to it over time.

So, in summary, these 'K' highway pegs are pricy but as we hear over and over again you get what you pay for.

My only question to you folks is whether or not they look overkill for this small bike. I really didn't expect them to be this large but I don't have riding friends here with lots of accessories I can see in person before I buy so I said what the hell and just ordered them.

IMG-20140717-02098.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 07/17/14 at 06:36:07

another view

IMG-20140717-02095.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #12 - 07/17/14 at 08:32:51

Who cares what anyone else thinks they look like? If YOU like them, carry right on with them. It's YOUR bike, not someone who is looking at it in a parking lot.

Uhm, sorry, didn't mean to get on a rant there. But if you like 'em that's all that matters.

Oh, by the way, I like 'em.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 07/17/14 at 08:47:51

prechermike wrote on 07/17/14 at 08:32:51:
Who cares what anyone else thinks they look like? If YOU like them, carry right on with them. It's YOUR bike, not someone who is looking at it in a parking lot.

Uhm, sorry, didn't mean to get on a rant there. But if you like 'em that's all that matters.

Oh, by the way, I like 'em.

Thanks, 'prechermike'.  I feel the same way and debated even asking the question. I just think it's different and I am not used to it yet, but in a few weeks I would think the bike looked naked without them.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #14 - 07/17/14 at 08:52:45

Exactly, I sometimes do ask what others think as well, just to get a different perspective and take on things, but the reality is, if I like it, that's about all that matters.

Maybe it's time for me to post my back rack.  Huh

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Highway Pegs Won't Stay Tight...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.