Bummer Battery ! (Read 93 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Bummer Battery !
06/29/14 at 21:10:37

Was going for a ride on my '08 today, clicked once, battery died. Took it out, as expected, previous owner did no maintenance, all of the cells were at 1/2 level.
Filled it up, put on battery tender, full charge lasted for 2 minutes, trickle lasted for about 1/2 hour. Will leave on all night.
Any chance this battery is toast? :'(

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Re: Bummer Battery !
Reply #1 - 06/29/14 at 21:35:01

Its possible to revive a battery with a desulfator if the batt is as old as the bike then its likely no hope for it but if its 2 or 3 years old there is hope with a desulfator, I have 2 of them one is built into my trickle charger and the other is a Infinitum Desulfator which i got on fleabay for approx 35 dollars that can stay hooked up and will work as you are driving . They seem to work i brought back a few batterys from the dead one batt wouldnt accept a charge and would not crank at all, the charger said it was fully charged and after i had the  Infinitum Desulfator on for a few days i could use the battery but it wasnt like new . The longer you leave  the Desulfator on the better though and you can leave it attached and it will work as you drive. Almost as cheap to buy a new batt though unless you have other batterys to try it on. Oh i also got a 7 year old battery that was completely dead for that long  to hold a decent charge but not good enough to use. maybe if i would have left it on for a month it would have possibly started the bike though but i got tired of waiting and tossed the batt and bought new.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 06/30/14 at 12:03:55

I'll give this one a try first, then try a spare from my honda. I need to move the bike to my new shop (20 foot container) without trucking it.
That prompts another question: why the huge difference in battery sizes? Honda battery is 1/2 the size of the Suz battery!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/30/14 at 13:18:16

for the CCA...
It takes more oomph to start a big a$$ single than a similar sized twin or four bangers... the individual pistons are the limit.

bore 94mm^2/4 times pi times the compression of 150 to 190 psi = 1600 to 2044 pounds of force

vs.

46mm^2/4 times pi times the compression of 150 to 190 psi = 400 to 510 pounds of force  
You only have to overcome the compression of one piston at a time.

so a twin has less then a third of the force just to move the piston up.

Depending of the size of the flywheel gear, the torque required to turn it is less.

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 06/30/14 at 15:35:43

My Savage cooked it's battery dry after a wire to the regulator came loose, giving it an unregulated 20 v for who knows how long? It stopped working. Filled it with new water and charged it gently and it's been starting my Pantah just fine for a year now.
The Cabbage has a smaller lithium battery which is great. Is much smaller than the wet batt and hides away easier.
Good luck, hope yours comes back too.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 06/30/14 at 21:43:41

Will put it in the bike Tuesday. put the tender on it Monday night and it appears to be taking a charge, as battery tender light is red for much longer than Sunday night.
Maybe I'll get lucky. Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/30/14 at 21:50:59

I got a neglected battery with a wrecked bike, don't know how long it sat in the yard.  
water low in several cells, filled it, charged it, worked fine for a couple of years.

WWW   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #7 - 07/01/14 at 22:23:48

TOAST !  appeared to have some charging issues, voltage dropped from 12.3 volts to 10.5 volts,  2 hours after charging, never did install it.  RATS!
Tomorrow to wally to buy new battery. &^%$#@!!! Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:32:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bummer Battery !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.