Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike not starting after sitting for a week (Read 258 times)
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Bike not starting after sitting for a week
Reply #15 - 06/29/14 at 16:16:11

So are you saying it runs now? Have you tried starting fluid yet?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 06/29/14 at 16:19:54

How much Seafoam did you put in the tank?  I've seen too much Seafoam cause an engine to not start in a friend's car.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #17 - 06/29/14 at 16:22:44

Kris01 wrote on 06/29/14 at 16:19:54:
How much Seafoam did you put in the tank?  I've seen too much Seafoam cause an engine to not start in a friend's car.  

Indeed, fresh clean gas is always a good thing when chasing starting issues.

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #18 - 06/29/14 at 16:25:10

Well that just leaves fuel and compression. (and timing but I doubt that changed)

IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 06/29/14 at 16:32:13

It still wont start up.

I had starter fluid and a small gas can on my list of things to get today and forgot them all 3 times I went to the store. I will get them tomorrow, drain out the old gas and put new in.

I thought I had measured the Seafoam correctly, but I won't say I was ultra-precise. I don't know much about carbs, if I drain the float bowl is that getting all the gas out of the carb? So drain the tank at the petcock and the carb at the float bowl = all gas out?

At that point, I guess it is just suck it up and drop the carb.

Thanks guys, I won't even pretend that I'm not a newbie. Everyone has to learn at some point.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #20 - 06/29/14 at 16:35:39

Off the top of my head I think you're supposed to use 1 oz. Seafoam to 1 gallon gas.  Our tank is what?  2.4 gallons or something?  Figure about 2.5 ounces Seafoam per tank.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 06/30/14 at 14:44:22

Ok here is the results of my next few tests.

New gas, no starter fluid = no start, same as always.

New gas, starter fluid = will start, runs for about 3 seconds (off the rest of the starter fluid I'm guessing)

I tried it a few more times and it was consistent.

Next I tried holding the throttle open about half. It would keep running but horribly. Very inconsistent idle with tons of gun shot backfiring. I didn't do it for more than 10-15 seconds. Just enough to look all around the engine. No leaks or smoke.

However, after that 30 or so cumulative seconds the exhaust header was instant finger burn hot. I figured it would definitely be warm, but it was intensely hot. The pipe is also quite blue.

My guess, bike is running lean as hell. Not even enough gas to start. How it ran home and after the oil change but not after sitting? Who knows, I live in Georgia, it is humid as crap here. Or maybe something broke loose with the Seafoam and is clogging a jet?

What do you guys think? Next actions? Idle mix screw or just drop carb?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 06/30/14 at 14:48:04

clean carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #23 - 06/30/14 at 14:49:31

Remove the carb, clean the crap out of the bowl and blow out the jet. Remove the needle from the seat and blow that out as well.

IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/30/14 at 17:58:06

Well the carb disassembly was going well. I even managed to get he float pin out after enough WD40. I had only the pilot jet left to take out annnnd stripped...

The carb doesn't look terrible, but there is some gunk in there. Its not like I have seen tons of carbs before so maybe it was actually way too much gunk.

IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #25 - 06/30/14 at 18:13:44

Seaweednh wrote on 06/28/14 at 19:25:26:
[...] big red kill switch [...]

Indeed, decades ago, I watched a motorcyclist at the A&W root beer stand in Delphos, Ohio trying to kickstart a 4 banger 750? Yahonski. Finally got so crazy and frustrated—and there were girls watching, mind you—that he accidentally became unbalanced on a kick and dumped the bike on its side. I got off my bike, helped him tip it back up, and...that big red kill switch just needed a little nudge. Then it started right up.

What I'm saying is, there might be a female watching and making you a wee bit nervous.  How do they do that? Grin

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #26 - 06/30/14 at 18:26:29

rapfohl wrote on 06/30/14 at 17:58:06:
The carb doesn't look terrible, but there is some gunk in there. Its not like I have seen tons of carbs before so maybe it was actually way too much gunk.

ANY gunk in a carb is too much gunk....  Wink

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #27 - 06/30/14 at 19:13:04

rapfohl wrote on 06/30/14 at 17:58:06:
Well the carb disassembly was going well. I even managed to get he float pin out after enough WD40. I had only the pilot jet left to take out annnnd stripped...

All you need is a little bit to suck into the jet.  Most time there is no need to take the jet out if you have an air compressor.  I just bought my first bike recently and it had been parked for the last seven years.  Changed the fuel added a battery and pulled the carb.  The bowl had small particles of crap in it.  Wiped it out, blew out the jet and it works great.  Done this a hundred times fixing rental equipment, a car that sat for over twenty years, antique engines, etc..  It doesn't take much to keep them from running.

IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 07/02/14 at 15:31:21

So I am ordering some jets, and there are pilot jets with "bleed holes" and without. The one I took out didn't have any.

Whats the deal with those?

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #29 - 07/02/14 at 16:14:37

I recall a thread recently and basically the bottom line was they don't matter... But, I'm old and my memory is going, so don't trust me.  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:13:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike not starting after sitting for a week

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.