Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike not starting after sitting for a week (Read 258 times)
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike not starting after sitting for a week
06/28/14 at 10:16:58

Hey everyone, I just bought a 2002 S40 with about 2000 miles on it. I bought it, rode it home about 60 miles without it skipping a beat, and then changed the oil and filter the next day. I didnt like the pull back handlebars, so I got a set of the tracker bars from Ryca. I took the old bars off and put my cover on it and there it sat for a week before I got my new bars.

Yesterday I got the new bars on and went to start it up and it just wont. I checked all the obvious things first, and then went and then drained the float bowl, checked the petcock (Raptor) and still had nothing. It cranks just fine, catches, and then dies after about a second. Nothing I do can keep it going. Or it just cranks and does nothing.

I took the battery out for the night and charged it up. Still the same thing this morning. Put a new spark plug in it, as I didn't have any spark, but I attributed that to having tinkered for an hour or so.

I am at a loss...It ran beautifully a week ago. Any tips?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Bike not starting after sitting for a week
Reply #1 - 06/28/14 at 10:49:27

Well,.. it's cranking enough to fire,.. so let's rule out electrical...
Got gas?... try reserve... (just in case)...
Are you using choke?...
How much oil did you put in?...

It has been known to happen,... that the oil filter gets installed backwards... that might create enough pressure in a cold engine to kill it...and it will blow the side case apart if you run it that way)...

If you are sure the filter is installed correctly,... I'd go back to fuel...
Is there a fuel filter installed?...
Try removing the gascap (might be clogged tank vent)...
...(better yet,.. pull the fuel line at the carb,... and let fuel flow into a container... you can pour it back in the tank after you see that you have good flow to the carb)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/28/14 at 11:49:58

I had a fuel filter on there, but took it off thinking it was causing insufficient flow. I have put the petcock to both on and res with the tube off the carb and it flows readily. I also backed out the drain screw and turned in on then, it flows through the carb as well.

I have tried to start it with the choke in all positions, always the same. It only catches if the choke is all the way on. Otherwise it just cranks.

I have the oil level right at the F line (maybe just a hair higher) when standing upright.

The oil filter, there is a side with a hole and one with a dimple. I installed the side with the hole towards the engine, on the nipple with the o-ring.

I pulled the spark plug before I gave up this morning and tested both the new and old plug and got no spark. Maybe I did it incorrectly, but I took the plug out, plugged it back into the cable and hit the starter. I brought the battery back in to charge at that point, I figured I had worn it down to much trying.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 06/28/14 at 12:31:21

Take the tank off and re-seat your harnesses from the handlebar - there are three connectors. The one on the left side of the frame doesn't snap in tightly, and can be slightly jiggled out when working on the bike.

You should be able to test fire it with the tank off.

If that connector was loose and the cause of the problem, zip-tied it closed.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/28/14 at 15:26:30

The plug was a little loose, but even after being plugged in securely there is no change.

Maybe the battery itself is just bad? The guy I bought it from said it sat for a while, but he kept the battery on a tender.

I have checked and re-checked everything. Everything is as it should be, especially in the areas I did work...

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 06/28/14 at 19:05:00

Try some starting fluid aerosol. Shoot about 1-2 seconds into the filter, let it sit for a few seconds to vaporize, then hit the starter.  My first bike did a "hard starting" thing for a while and on the first start up in the morning I had to shoot some starter fluid into the carb to get it going. It started fine the rest of the day after that. Still not sure why....

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #6 - 06/28/14 at 19:25:26

You have only started and driven it once.  You can do all you want to it but if you don't have spark, it's never going to run.  This may sound dumb but is the big red kill switch on the right side handle bar in the run position?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/28/14 at 19:40:21

Rest assured that if the starter spins, the switches and safeties are in the right position to have ignition.

You need to check voltage, anything less than 10v and it won't start, but the starter will spin it just fine.

A loose sparky is ok, the threads are enough to seal it, the gasket is there to prevent it from walking out.

having to pull the choke is unusual, you might need to clean the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/29/14 at 05:11:21

This is probably going to be a stupid question, but I dont care. Do I just take a multimeter reading across the terminals of the battery? Or is there somewhere else I am supposed to do it from?

I have been telling myself to get a multimeter for forever. Today is the day I guess. I'll grab some starter fluid as well.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #9 - 06/29/14 at 05:53:14

yea, right to the neg and pos terminal.

I like to use a load tested or hold the multimeter to the terminals and have someone crank the bike to see how low the battery drops as it gets a load put on it

I like to use a battery load tested to test batteries

IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/29/14 at 08:55:44

I got 12.5 just sitting there, 12.1 with the key turned, and 10.2-10.3 when cranking it.

My roommate and I tried bump starting it a few timed as well. It sputtered some the first time but just locked up the second and third.

I am starting to think gas. I am 99% sure i hooked the throttle cable up correctly. The throttle on the carb does exactly what it is supposed to. I guess is it just time to drop the carb and clean it up? It always need a pump or two of the throttle to start before.

My roommate remided me that i had put some seafoam in the tank when i got it. Maybe that knocked some gunk loose and plugged something up?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 06/29/14 at 09:01:43

Yeah, my battery did the same thing.... would charge to 12.64 or so and then bleed off to 12.45 or 12.35 and drop to 10v on start...it would start on occasion, if I charged it overnight or road it for an hour...but if I did short trips it would not start.
I changed that out and have not had a problem since.
Drain the tank then, and the bowl, maybe remove the bowl and see if anything is loose in there.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/29/14 at 15:01:53

Well it isnt the battery. I got a new one and still the same thing. I drained the float bowl again and the gas is perfect. Clear as can be and nice color.

Whatever. I'm just mad now. I don't understand how it could crank and catch if it is missing spark or gas. I can drop the carb and clean it I guess...

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #13 - 06/29/14 at 15:41:54

To quote you

"I pulled the spark plug before I gave up this morning and tested both the new and old plug and got no spark. Maybe I did it incorrectly, but I took the plug out, plugged it back into the cable and hit the starter. I brought the battery back in to charge at that point, I figured I had worn it down to much trying."

Do you have spark now? If not, don't mess with the carb until you do.

IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/29/14 at 16:05:43

The bike does have a nice blue spark.

I (embarrassingly) wasn't grounding the plug before. I'm glad my roommate knows more about wrenching than I do.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:28:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike not starting after sitting for a week

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.